13 year old bonsai beginner here needs advice

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well guess what. I haven’t really killed any trees and still in the hobby. I’m now developing lots of seedlings to eventually grow quality trees in 30+ years . Thanks for the advice
Well, that is great, but not vital.
It will come. You can't make an omelet without cracking a few eggs.
Hankg in there. It would be awesome to look back in 50 years and say, I did that.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wait till you’re old like me
I feel so old now looking at this post 😂
Each year is special and precious, for you shall only live it once. We all age at the same rate, just some of us started before others. :)

Guy named Albert once said this.
  1. Follow Your Curiosity
  2. Perseverance is Priceless
  3. Focus on the Present
  4. The Imagination is Powerful
  5. Make Mistakes
  6. Live in the Moment
  7. Create Value
  8. Don’t be repetitive
  9. Knowledge Comes From Experience
  10. Learn the Rules and Then Play Better

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Each year is special and precious, for you shall only live it once. We all age at the same rate, just some of us started before others. :)

Guy named Albert once said this.
  1. Follow Your Curiosity
  2. Perseverance is Priceless
  3. Focus on the Present
  4. The Imagination is Powerful
  5. Make Mistakes
  6. Live in the Moment
  7. Create Value
  8. Don’t be repetitive
  9. Knowledge Comes From Experience
  10. Learn the Rules and Then Play Better
I’m only kidding , but I turn 31 in October and then I’m officially in my 30s 😱

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My B-day is October 31st going to be 52 soon. :) Enjoying everyday I get to wake up and embrace life. Good with the bad and all that, but it's all about attitude and perspective in my opinion. Joy & love is the correct path.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You damn whipper-snappers.

;)

(Also... you've done BEEN in your 30's for a year.. 30 and "x" anos... even if "x" is fraction.. so realistically, "Pressure's off".)

😂😂😂

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You damn whipper-snappers.

;)

(Also... you've done BEEN in your 30's for a year.. 30 and "x" anos... even if "x" is fraction.. so realistically, "Pressure's off".)

😂😂😂
Every time that I look in the mirror
All these lines on my face getting clearer
The past is gone
Oh, it went by like dusk to dawn
Isn't that the way?
Everybody's got their dues in life to pay, oh, oh, oh
I know nobody knows
Where it comes and where it goes
I know it's everybody's sin
You got to lose to know how to win
Half my life's in books' written pages
Storing facts learned from fools and from sages
You view the earth
Oh, sing with me, this mournful dub
Sing with me, sing for a year
Sing for the laughter, and sing for the tear
Sing with me, if it's just for today
Maybe tomorrow, the good Lord will take you away
Oh, sing with me, sing for the year
Sing for the laughter, and sing for the tear
Sing it with me, if it's just for today
Maybe tomorrow, the good Lord will take you away
Dream on
Dream on
I dream on
Dream a little, I'll dream on
Dream on
I dream on
I dream on

:cool:

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Spend your time collecting and growing trunks. Pick a few favorites. You gotta lot of life headed your way. I had a beautiful collection through my teen years when life was stable. Then I graduated and life got crazy and busy, so only 1 tree survived the last 35 years. Near 50 and finally stable again I can finally get back to it.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Three years into bonsai. I’m now 16.I have reduced my collection tremendously this year and have started a few projects. I can’t believe I’m already 16 and have no good bonsai. Bonsai is harder than going to school. I don’t know how you guys make such amazing trees

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Three years into bonsai. I’m now 16.I have reduced my collection tremendously this year and have started a few projects. I can’t believe I’m already 16 and have no good bonsai. Bonsai is harder than going to school. I don’t know how you guys make such amazing trees
just wait till you can drive , game changer.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm expecting to have a "good" tree in about a decade, around the time I turn 50.

You're doing great. Material as good or better than most of mine, and moving forward every season. I think you'll have something to be proud of by the time you legally buy your first drink.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Just plant seedlings and stuff into the ground or grow pots / andersons. Work on them when you can … by the time you’re 26 in 10 years , you’ll have a great start. Study horticulture in college, etc etc….. do you need an academic sponsor ?? And career planner ? Then Bonsai nut is the best place to seek that advice.. lol good luck to ya kid. I wish I had the foresight when I was 13 to start Bonsai.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can’t believe I’m already 16 and have no good bonsai. Bonsai is harder than going to school. I don’t know how you guys make such amazing trees
Nah, the start is slow. Then you have learned what to pick up as material AND your budgets is a little wider and all of the sudden better starting material becomes available.

You have such great luck that you start young. By the time you have the age most people start, you are already widely experienced and will have much better trees than most here.

A good, mid-to-large tree takes 5-10 years at least from the moment you have primary branches. So in 3 years it is only possible to make a decent tree if you have very good starting material. Starting with younger and/or nursery stock will take a longer time. It is not you. It is the material.

Top Bottom