$14 Walmart Plant To Near Finnished Fukien Tea Bonsai...

Lizardfeathers

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello everyone!

I was in Walmart today and came across some of their usual "bonsai" trees for $12. I then found some larger trees that were $14, two of which I had never seen before. They both had about 1-2" of green fake moss on top of the soil, so I knew there was much more of the tree than visible! I took the one with the thickest trunk home with me with a $3 terra-cotta pot saucer. When I got home I repotted it (I put drainage holes in the saucer), wired just two branches, and pruned the rest to shape it. I did some research and found out it is a Fukien Tea! It is now the most beautiful near finished bonsai in my collection. I can't believe it was just a cheap Walmart plant just a few hours ago!:D Not bad for a $20 investment!;)

Here it is after repotting it and before pruning...

And here is after pruning and wiring two branches to create the slope on the right side of the canopy...

And a close up of the base...

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with those crazy nibari, but I left them for now. What do you think of the tree?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice project for 20 dollars! Not certain what I would do with the roots unless I saw it bare rooted but once it settles in you will have some time to decide ;)

Grimmy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow, your area is really flat!!! :eek: I like the "Mariposa" chair in the background also. :D

I think you did good but note that Fukien Tea will require a lot from you being in zone 5a-6b? It will not be an easy plant to care for in your area. It loves heat & bright but indirect sun. They do not like freezing temps...provide protection (maybe indoor) at high 30's or be prepared to lose your tree. They can be pest magnet too so watch it.

Expect your tree to shed all it's leaves after the move and repot. Do not panic and just reduce watering as needed until it recovers. In my area, it takes only several weeks to produce new set of leaves.

I like what you did but the exposed root bothers me. LOL No problem, as you said, it can be addressed/removed later if need be.

Good luck!

Lizardfeathers

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks! When I repotted it, I barely had to remove any roots. It was just fine white roots exept for the now exposed (and ugly) roots. I figure I can cut them off but I cant put them back on, so I'll wait a bit to decide.;) I will most defiantly keep it indoors unless it is warm enough outside.

I may build a "greenhouse" for my bonsai trees who need to overwinter. I have a bad rabbit and chipmunk problem so they'd be stumps by spring if I had any unprotected. I've got 100 stratified "bloodgood" Japanese Maple seeds on their way so I'll have to protect them while in open ground.:p

Top Bottom