16 gauge copper wire

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
To those of you who strip and anneal your own copper wire: where do you get your 16 gauge from? Is there a stranded speaker cable/ etc. that uses only 16 gauge strands, or a specific cable from X store that uses 16 gauge in there electrical wire? I have easily found all the other gauges except for this one (unfortunately I find myself using this gauge more than others). I once had a good source for it but now do not. Thank you.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
To those of you who strip and anneal your own copper wire: where do you get your 16 gauge from? Is there a stranded speaker cable/ etc. that uses only 16 gauge strands, or a specific cable from X store that uses 16 gauge in there electrical wire? I have easily found all the other gauges except for this one (unfortunately I find myself using this gauge more than others). I once had a good source for it but now do not. Thank you.

you dont want any stranded 16 awg. The strands in a 16g “stranded” would be very very tiny. If anything you need solid 16awg.

16awg wire is rarely used in commercial/residential construction. The smallest size that is generally used is 14 awg, and thats just for 15a circuits only really used in residential.

there are certain conditions with controls and instrumentation, lighting, etc. that may use #16 solid but not enough for it to be sold commonly around (or end up as scrap)

any “big” cable where the actual individual strands are 16g is going to be a #2 (i think) or bigger and FAR FAR more expensive than just buying annealed #16.

That being said almost any supply house (that supplies electrical/plumbing contractors) should sell 500’ rolls of #16 solid in multiple colors.

edit: I dont anneal my own wire, but I am an electrician.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you for answering my question with such detail! I was buying cheap 16 gauge from a local scrap yard that came stranded together in a much larger cable. Since I can no longer do that I will start getting my 16 from Gremel or Adams. Thanks again.

you dont want any stranded 16 awg. The strands in a 16g “stranded” would be very very tiny. If anything you need solid 16awg.

16awg wire is rarely used in commercial/residential construction. The smallest size that is generally used is 14 awg, and thats just for 15a circuits only really used in residential.

there are certain conditions with controls and instrumentation, lighting, etc. that may use #16 solid but not enough for it to be sold commonly around (or end up as scrap)

any “big” cable where the actual individual strands are 16g is going to be a #2 (i think) or bigger and FAR FAR more expensive than just buying annealed #16.

That being said almost any supply house (that supplies electrical/plumbing contractors) should sell 500’ rolls of #16 solid in multiple colors.

edit: I dont anneal my own wire, but I am an electrician.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The coated bits left by the ATT guy are good for 16g. I think they are smaller but serve the 16s purpose unnannealed, and colorful.

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The coated bits left by the ATT guy are good for 16g. I think they are smaller but serve the 16s purpose unnannealed, and colorful.

Sorce
Bits? Why even bother?

when I’m wiring, I use lots of 16. Every fall, I probably go thru 4 or 5 fifty foot rolls!

BonsaiDawg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you for answering my question with such detail! I was buying cheap 16 gauge from a local scrap yard that came stranded together in a much larger cable. Since I can no longer do that I will start getting my 16 from Gremel or Adams. Thanks again.
Go buy it on superflybonsai.com it's just as good or better and FAR cheaper than either of those suppliers

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You can buy bare half hard copper in many gauges at Home Depot or Lowes.
And I have used stranded wire( when given it for free), tried unwinding (pretty tough) and found that annealing first, then pulling apart, recoiling individual strands and reannealing works OK, it's still a little wavy though

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You can buy bare half hard copper in many gauges at Home Depot or Lowes.
And I have used stranded wire( when given it for free), tried unwinding (pretty tough) and found that annealing first, then pulling apart, recoiling individual strands and reannealing works OK, it's still a little wavy though
Haha, I know, it's a huge pain. I was getting the 16 gauge in long strands and it was a challenge to to unravel and try to get them straight again at first. There is something truly satisfying about taking a pile of dirt cheap/ free scrap insulated copper wire and turning it into quality bonsai wire. And it seems I can never have too much.
I only wish anodizing aluminum could be as easy, I have a ton of raw aluminum, of various mm's, that I only use on seedlings/ young trees in development and for anchoring.

Top Bottom