17 year old jade, never been shaped

Kjr928

Seedling
Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I have a jade in a pot I've been growing since 1999. I have never shaped it beyond cutting off long drooping branches or trying to make it a little less top heavy.

So it's not really a good looking plant, and I'd like to shape it and have it fill in nicer. I'm afraid to start cutting away though since I don't know what kind of technique is involved in this and I don't want to ruin it.

Can anyone give me suggestions or advice? I'm attaching a few pics. Thanks!

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They backbud after pruning. That gives you tighter, closer, fuller foliage. Remember to plant the cuttings after a few days drying. Even leaves can grow new plants. Maybe someone else can help with styling. Hope that helps.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Kjr928

Seedling
Reaction score
They backbud after pruning. That gives you tighter, closer, fuller foliage. Remember to plant the cuttings after a few days drying. Even leaves can grow new plants. Maybe someone else can help with styling. Hope that helps.
Thanks! If you had any idea how many "babies" I'm getting rid of from this thing! I did prune a whole lot off about a month ago, and I'm getting a lot of new little leaves. I'm just not sure which big "branches" I should remove to improve the look of it. I feel like there are too many big limbs and it's cluttered up in the middle.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 109914 View attachment 109915 View attachment 109916 I have a jade in a pot I've been growing since 1999. I have never shaped it beyond cutting off long drooping branches or trying to make it a little less top heavy.

So it's not really a good looking plant, and I'd like to shape it and have it fill in nicer. I'm afraid to start cutting away though since I don't know what kind of technique is involved in this and I don't want to ruin it.

Can anyone give me suggestions or advice? I'm attaching a few pics. Thanks!

What is your end goal for the plant? In an shallow bonsai pot, a style mimicking a traditional Japanese style? Or full, mature specimen in a larger pot? Crassula are tough to make convincing as bonsai due to the large leaves. Portulacaria are far better specimens with smaller leaves and more vigorous growth.

That said, that is a very nice plant especially if you live somewhere with winters! I assume by the grass that you don't live in coastal Southern California, where they can stay outside year round and flower.

Here's mine, which started about your size or smaller in 2010. I repotted last summer (pic) and had to use a block and tackle to lift it. I've never pruned it hard and just growing for a thick trunk and keeping lots of foliage for the 'winter' flowers (2014 pic). It will probably never go in a bonsai pot and just will be kept as large specimen.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    438.6 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    377.7 KB · Views: 88

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks! If you had any idea how many "babies" I'm getting rid of from this thing! I did prune a whole lot off about a month ago, and I'm getting a lot of new little leaves. I'm just not sure which big "branches" I should remove to improve the look of it. I feel like there are too many big limbs and it's cluttered up in the middle.
You can use bonsai and tree trimming principles for a better aesthetic. Remove the branches growing inward and those crossing the trunk obscuring the view of the structure of the plant. I'd keep it taller so it continues to thicken, but if you wanted you could trim back some of the leggy growth to increase the branch density at the top.

Kjr928

Seedling
Reaction score
What is your end goal for the plant? In an shallow bonsai pot, a style mimicking a traditional Japanese style? Or full, mature specimen in a larger pot? Crassula are tough to make convincing as bonsai due to the large leaves. Portulacaria are far better specimens with smaller leaves and more vigorous growth.

That said, that is a very nice plant especially if you live somewhere with winters! I assume by the grass that you don't live in coastal Southern California, where they can stay outside year round and flower.

Here's mine, which started about your size or smaller in 2010. I repotted last summer (pic) and had to use a block and tackle to lift it. I've never pruned it hard and just growing for a thick trunk and keeping lots of foliage for the 'winter' flowers (2014 pic). It will probably never go in a bonsai pot and just will be kept as large specimen.
Hi there! I live in NY, so we can have quite severe winters. Obviously I keep it indoors during cold weather, and it does usually flower every year (although not as profusely as yours!)

My end goal is not necessarily to attempt to make it a bonsai - my goal is just to make it more attractive. I thought I'd be able to get the best advice from a bonsai forum! But I don't know the strategy behind what makes a bonsai beautiful, so I really wanted to reach out here to see if someone could advise me on how to make it better (which branches to remove). Because I think it has potential to look a lot better if I prune it properly!

I guess I'd like it to be much fuller and more "tree-like". I think I have a pretty good start with the thick trunk of it.

Kjr928

Seedling
Reaction score
You can use bonsai and tree trimming principles for a better aesthetic. Remove the branches growing inward and those crossing the trunk obscuring the view of the structure of the plant. I'd keep it taller so it continues to thicken, but if you wanted you could trim back some of the leggy growth to increase the branch density at the top.
Thank you, those are just the kind of pointers I'm looking for! Do you think I should keep it more triangular at the top or some other shape? Like an umbrella or something? Should a remove the large limbs growing from the bottom? I'm just not sure exactly how to make this thing improve. Cutting off large pieces is very intimidating if you don't know what you're doing.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow, nice plant man! Euh woman ;) Looks very cool and loved.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very nice indeed...I might be tempted to leave as is...it has so much movement in the outer areas you would need to trim down to make more compact...And just embrass this one for what it has to offers. That's what I would do. But, it's your tree...and it has an already great look to it. But, that's just my opinion.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Now...to improve upon what is there...I might say this as a front...because to me it shows the most movement in the trunk. I would consider removing the branch with the red line to define that lower branch as its own. (Red line)
image.jpg

Now, that stub that is the first lower right branch. That is where I pause...do you redevelop it into something to go with the structure...or remove it.

* Then again...you could just embrace it as a potted plant...it has great character for one. And make no changes.

image.jpg

Kjr928

Seedling
Reaction score
image.jpeg
Now...to improve upon what is there...I might say this as a front...because to me it shows the most movement in the trunk. I would consider removing the branch with the red line to define that lower branch as its own. (Red line)
View attachment 110074

Now, that stub that is the first lower right branch. That is where I pause...do you redevelop it into something to go with the structure...or remove it.

* Then again...you could just embrace it as a potted plant...it has great character for one. And make no changes.

View attachment 110075
Hi and thanks for your feedback! After looking at some beautiful jades online, I think I would use this attached photo as inspiration. I'd like it to look more like a tree and I like how all the foliage is at the top. As it is, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to my jade at all (imo). I'm actually thinking of cutting ALL of the lower branches off, which would be VERY drastic, but the more I look at it, the more I think that's what needs to be done. I'm a little scared to do it though! Ha ha! Maybe I'll photoshop something up later to see if I like it. Your opinions?

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 110074

View attachment 110075
Cadillactaste posted exactly what I would do for pruning. The right lowest branch is just too parallel to the next branch. I would also remove the longer piece that extends above the others on the left side, creating that as a lower vegetation pad and then the upper portion as another cloud of vegetation. There is also a crossing branch in the upper middle that I would remove (see pic). Creating a denser top canopy is up to you based on how it responds to summer trimming or growing indoors in the off season.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    367.6 KB · Views: 56

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Cadillactaste posted exactly what I would do for pruning. The right lowest branch is just too parallel to the next branch. I would also remove the longer piece that extends above the others on the left side, creating that as a lower vegetation pad and then the upper portion as another cloud of vegetation. There is also a crossing branch in the upper middle that I would remove (see pic). Creating a denser top canopy is up to you based on how it responds to summer trimming or growing indoors in the off season.
Good one...I had missed that small crossing branch that went in front of the trunk non initial edit on my phone.

If you really wish to chop...I would just do it. But...If the photo that your after is not your cultivar...and yours has larger leaves...a larger bonsai could compensate that fact and make it look more natural as mentioned I believe in an earlier post. That is just food for thought.

I myself love the movement on the very ends of your tree. To me...I see movement. Trimming a bit off all ends would that push back budding? I don't know the cultivar or species to say how it will handle. But...think of leaf size on yours when and if you do chop...so the frame size you're left with can carry the leaf and look more natural.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Okay...here is something I came up with for a chop. Considering I believe your cultivar has larger leaf size.

Again...not telling you this the direction. But giving you food for thought. Play around with it. Your going to want to keep some movement if possible. Especially if there isn't a significant amount of taper.

Take into consideration this is the edit from my phone...so very rough draft.
received_1200033846684282.jpeg

Kjr928

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi! Thanks for your replies and the time you took to edit my photos! So, one question I have is - should I be planning this based on viewing the jade from only one side? I keep walking around and around it trying to figure out how to make it look right on all sides, but it almost seems impossible, since making it look great from one angle might make it look worse from a different angle.

Also, that inspiration photo you posted is beautiful. That would be a perfect end goal for me!

I will do a little cutting today and see how it looks/post pics. Again, thank you!

Kjr928

Seedling
Reaction score
Ok, I did some cutting. Actually one of the pieces I cut off looks really nice and I'm going to root it. Let me know what you think and if you see anything else that should be removed. I do think it is starting to look better! Thanks!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Top Bottom