18 yo Fukien Tea Bonsai Tree

nanraff

Seedling
Reaction score
I just received this tree through the mail in the winter in Colorado. I'm not sure if this tree is healthy looking or not. I've been keeping a close eye on it with testing the moisture and watering it with a bonsai food solution and misting it's leaves. It's on a humidity tray and I have a grow light on it. But it's kind of looks sparse? I need an experienced opinion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230214-201325.png
    Screenshot_20230214-201325.png
    235 KB · Views: 106

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks over watered. Definitely very stressed. They don't need mist and like to be pretty dry. It is a tropical but you don't need tropical conditions. Actually, a June day outside in Colorado is probably ideal weather.
I would keep that under the lights and don't water it for maybe 10 days? I am saying this assuming you are watering it regularly. You will see the leaves perk up and then droop a little when you need to water it again.

I have had them for the last 13 years. They can be really sensitive.

nanraff

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. The woman that sold it to me told me to water it every day? I don't go by that but I use a moisture meter. When the meter says completely dry down towards the root, I still shouldn't water it for 10 days? There's 0 humidity here. I've been reading so much about don't let the root dry out and to mist it. There's so many different opinions. I'm worried I could kill it. Does it look like it's dying? I will follow directions since you have experience.

OTown

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Don't let it dry out completely. In my experience with these, it should go from "almost dry" to watered and your cycle (days between watering) is dependent humidity and temperature. If you balance the water, it will bounce back.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I just received this tree through the mail in the winter in Colorado. I'm not sure if this tree is healthy looking or not. I've been keeping a close eye on it with testing the moisture and watering it with a bonsai food solution and misting it's leaves. It's on a humidity tray and I have a grow light on it. But it's kind of looks sparse? I need an experienced opinion.

I have been growing various species of tropicals here in Colorado for a few years now. In the winter, I put mine in a south facing windowsill. They all do great there.

Yours is so sparse right now that it doesn’t have enough foliage mass to draw water out of the container on a daily basis. The pot is also large. You need to be careful with the watering until it has more foliage mass, then you can probably water it every day in the south window. That’s what I do anyway,

Good luck!

nanraff

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I don't have a south facing window. I do have grow lights on it. I have only watered it when the meter is down to dry. What might be worth mentioning is that the picture I posted was minutes after I took it out of the shipping box. It was in transit for 7 days. The pot was very wet from I guess the sender over watering it for the trip? I would appreciate comments after I follow everyone 's advice. And I will post another picture. I have a few other bonsais that are dwarf and they are fine. Except a dwarf Fukien Tea Bonsai which I received in the mail. Ever since I got it, it's leaves are curled under and are crisp. I have watered it when the meter says dry and it has lights on it too. But it's not doing good like the others which are the dwarf Chinese plum, golden gate, grafted ginseng, Hawaiian umbrella and junipers. I will post a picture of the dwarf Fukien Tea soon for advice. Thank you all so much!

Top Bottom