1974 Procumbens

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This was my very first bonsai that I purchased in 1987 from one of my art profs. from college that she had started in 1974. At the time she was trying to cull her crop and I was looking for a gift for my mother. My mother loved it......for 23 years!! I couldn't keep my hands off of it when I went for visits and it would lead me down the path to where I am now. In 2010, mom, at 84 decided she wasn't gonna do it anymore and it came back to me. First two pics are from 2012 and then most recently.
I like the more minimal look. The missing primary branches (now gins) were developing the reverse taper Procumbens are known for. Being this tree is 40 years old in a pot, it really hasn't gained caliper, nor the live vein expanded.
Oh well...it's not the greatest bonsai beauty but what it does have are some wonderful memories and the joy of doing. That's bonsai.

Attachments

• IMG_0752.jpg
    IMG_0752.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_1564.jpg
    IMG_1564.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_1563.jpg
    IMG_1563.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 379

larlamonde

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice tree, it must be really special to you. A feat keeping it alive for 40 years alone!

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice, thanks for posting.
Gave me some ideas for a couple of nanas that I have had for years.
They are the typical bushy tri branch cascade..no real apex. Have been wondering
what to do to do with them.:cool:
Rose

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice tree, it must be really special to you. A feat keeping it alive for 40 years alone!

I haven't kept it alive those 40 years by myself. I guess that is what "bonsai culture" means. Culture...the art and manifestations of humanity regarded collectively.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Awesome plant in an awesome pot. The juniper is fantastic. What can you tell me about the pot in pictures 3 and 4. Is that 1 of a kind ? Very nice.

It's my pot. Cone 10, stoneware, soda fired with Bauer flashing slip and cobalt under-stain. It may sound Greek but the potters will know.

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What a great sentimental tree. I do like the way its heading, looking forward to seeing the foliage developed.
And the pot is very unusual, I like it!

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's nice to see a cascading bunjin. You hardly ever see them. John Naka's book talks about them. However, there don't seem to be many sources that discuss them.

Rob

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It's nice to see a cascading bunjin. You hardly ever see them. John Naka's book talks about them. However, there don't seem to be many sources that discuss them.

Rob

Hmmm....cascading......bunjin. I didn't put the two together until now! Thanks Rob!! Or could it be cascading literati? Maybe that's an oxymoron?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hmmm....cascading......bunjin. I didn't put the two together until now! Thanks Rob!! Or could it be cascading literati? Maybe that's an oxymoron?

It could be - would still need to lose a little more foliage but I like it as is. Nice work on the pot as well :D

Grimmy

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like it all, the tree, the pot and the story behind it.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I guess what I'm trying to say is there are mountains of great bonsai out there. Those overlooking photos of Japanese bonsai nurseries with seemingly thousands of trees ready to take home. I reflect on my 27 years of doing bonsai and whats best is still having many of the trees I started with, including the "sticks in a pot". It's not just a tree...it's my tree. It's the history that make it fun....now. The history is also what makes it hard to take when you lose one.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You do a great job communicating the enriching experience of bonsai cultivation. Also your pottery is a beautiful pairing.

Top Bottom