1st 2 trays of 8822

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
This stuff better be good @Scorce! lol! it'seems gonna be home to a tray of red elf pyracantha and a tray of Utah sweet poms and I'm gonna do the Texas Ebony in there tomorrow when they are done soaking.

Best I can estimate it's about 1 bag per 5-6 60 cell root maker trays.

20161231_003357.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Team Napa!

I have never rooted anything in it.

But folks in hotter climates have!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like you got the earth colored kind?
I've seen it in 2 distinct colors. White answer an orange brown. Both work well.
I've rooted Chinese elms cuttings in it before. Worked great.
I've also used it for layers. Worked well for that also.
I used to use it by itself but got to using half lava and half Napa 8822.
Where you live it should work well by itself. It holds a ton of water.
I like it. And it never wears out.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are making 8822 trays with seeds? Why not ssow them in a flatbed and transplant when germinated?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You are making 8822 trays with seeds? Why not ssow them in a flatbed and transplant when germinated?
He's doing cuttings
I've had good success with ficus (of course), mulberry, an elm cuttings in it, I also use it for all of my layers.

Aaron

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot

I could do that... Last time I did Texas Ebony seeds I got almost 100% germination. This way I don't have to mess with it. If I only get half, I will just refill it and go again...

Besides with TE I want tap root pruning ASAP so the root maker pots are ideal. That way these little fellas will have radial roots from the get go.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
But why so many? 8822 flat will take about 50.000 plants?
Professional nursery?

60 per tray and yes I propagate to sell and for myself. Kinda to support my own habit. The wife does not mind my "sticks" as long as it does not cost anything. I actually have quite a little side business going. I am a teacher full time. but one day I might like to just do this instead.

I have been selling on and off for about 8 years, between various personal disasters... but I'm still kicking!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great to hear it is working for you. Is there anything specific with the number 8822? Seems like a ranom number of seedling flats to be fillen. Why not 8500, or 9000? Is 8822 the maximum number you can put in your garden?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I could do that... Last time I did Texas Ebony seeds I got almost 100% germination.

I picked up a 15 gallon Texas Ebony this weekend and the guy threw in a free seed pod. Uh... how hard is it to split those pods?! At any rate, I have about a dozen seeds soaking atm. Any pointers for seed prep? Or do you just stick them in mix and call it a day?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I use a big pair of chanel locks to break em. As far as seed prep, pour boiling water over the seeds and soak them for 24 hours. Then plant them or do the paper towel and bag thing till they sprout.

I cut the tip off the radical off on 10 of these and they did not miss a beat. That way you get some root branching and not a long tap.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I kid you not I have worked with a lot of hard woods in my day - I have never seen anything like that damn seed pod. I had channel locks and lineman's pliers and it was a vein-popping eye-bulging struggle to break into that thing.

Last edited:

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I kid you not I have worked with a lot of hard woods in my day. I have never seen anything like that damn seed pod. I had channel locks and lineman's pliers and it was a vein-popping eye-bulging struggle to break into that thing.

Wait till you see how thick the seed coats are... 1/8" easy...

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have not tried rooting anything in it but have seen great looking roots during repotting this spring. I was very skeptical at first but... I had a couple weak trees with little roots which came back gangbusters in one season. I'm adding some lava this year, more for aesthetics and aeration.
Team NAPA member here. 8 bucks for a lot of reusable material. I need a better sifter than the screen colander I use. You must sift out the fines or it will be too mushy. Otherwise I'm sold.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I use a big pair of chanel locks to break em. As far as seed prep, pour boiling water over the seeds and soak them for 24 hours. Then plant them or do the paper towel and bag thing till they sprout.

I cut the tip off the radical off on 10 of these and they did not miss a beat. That way you get some root branching and not a long tap.

For what it's worth, I just tossed them into a pond basket with 100% pumice and called it a day. I have three sprouting atm.

Top Bottom