1st and only bonsai dead?

Dylan

Seed
Reaction score
Hey all,

I picked up a Japanese Maple last summer and I am afraid that it may be dead as it still has zero leaves on it to date. However, I am not ready to let it go because I can see buds attempting to grow on the branches but never getting far before apparently drying out.

Here's what I know: About a month and a half - 2 months ago the stem of the tree was still very green and leaves were starting to bloom. This is when I noticed ants coming out of the bottom of the pot. After some research I concluded that there must root aphids attracting the ants and zapping the tree of its nutrients. So I picked up some Fertilome bug killer with the active ingredient permethrin and gave the tree and its base a good spray. The next day I check it and it has gone from green to brown. Did this kill it or did it just make it susceptible to being burned? Since then I've been doing what I can to control the aphids and nurture the tree, which includes soaking the tree with water that hass been treated with the Fertilome spray along with an occasional spray down and keeping it away from any harsh sunlight.

So, is it dead even though I can see noticeable growth? Should I give up hope? Is there any way I could salvage some or all of it(i.e Clip a branch to start a new tree?)

Attachments

• Bud Growth.jpg
    Bud Growth.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Bug Spray.jpg
    Bug Spray.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Last Summer.jpg
    Last Summer.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 92
  • This Summer.jpg
    This Summer.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 94

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm very sorry to tell you that this is definitely an ex-bonsai, and has been for some time. One can't often be certain from pics if a tree is dead, but this is the exception. If you want more confirmation try to scratch the bark off a branch with your fingernail to see if there is green underneath. That is the best way to tell in general. I can't say why it died, but don't give up. Get more and keep trying.

And welcome to the forum.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I guess one way to look at it is you got the first one out of the way. It is bound to happen if you have trees. Wait until you kill off a very mature tree. I think that Bonsai is the slow torture of trees until they give up. Some of us are better at torture than others this their trees hang on longer, always on the edge.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As long as growth attempts keep and care. Maples 10c a dozen so no big deal if lost;).

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
Bonsai is the slow torture of trees
We're not torturing trees more than mother Nature does on a mountain top with high winds, heavy rain, hail, scorching sun, etc... It's just the survival of the fittest ;-) Plus, when they're in good hands I think they can be quite happy and they will show it to you :)

Top Bottom