1st Crabapple have to start somewhere...

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Any UpDaTe
Hi Arnold. Just today the blooms started spreading out, still closed but moving.
I could make this a weeping bonsai with little work, but not inclined to.
In fact the wire I put on recently, negates weeping.
Looks confusing how I wired it, but I’m counting on that low shoot for the new leader.
9305EFA1-9F11-40F1-B141-224622BA0AA9.jpeg image.jpg
Sorry iPad doesn’t take such a good pic.
What should my plan be to cut back to use this low shoot?

DeeJay

Sapling
Reaction score
@LanceMac10
I didn't take any flower pictures or give any updates this year as I thought I had read at one time
that malus had to have a viable branch to cut back to. The long trunk now working against bonsai
and the depth of colour is awash this far along really.

Just below the clothes pin you can see some old nodes, which is where I would want to cut back to if I did.
I've just placed the plastic pot (from EGGW) in the pot it's in for some stability in the wind.View attachment 295622View attachment 295623View attachment 295624View attachment 295625
Nice. Together the two trunks look like mother and daughter - I like it.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hi Arnold. Just today the blooms started spreading out, still closed but moving.
I could make this a weeping bonsai with little work, but not inclined to.
In fact the wire I put on recently, negates weeping.
Looks confusing how I wired it, but I’m counting on that low shoot for the new leader.
View attachment 429241 View attachment 429246
Sorry iPad doesn’t take such a good pic.
What should my plan be to cut back to use this low shoot?
Such purdy-colored foliage.

Which "shoot" are you speaking of being the new leader? I thought I knew.. but... 😂

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If it was the opposite... we call that Norman/Norma Bates-style.

;)
We liked that show, the series. Was pretty twisted really.

Which "shoot" are you speaking of being the new leader? I thought I knew.. but...
The shoot just above the soil, that manifest itself after I cut back the sub-trunk to a 4" stub
1649466411580.png
I need a plan to get it down to this.
Would be a great time to wire this shoot, but the stub is in the way and I don't know if it's viable or not.
I have my doubts so I may start scraping the bark some to see. Even if it's dead and I cut it off, do I do
a shoulder cut? I'm afraid the cut/die back, would kill the new shoot. Just need a good solid plan to get
these wheels rollin'.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My only experience with apple is collected cow chewed . So there is normally lots of dormant buds . But if the stub had not sprouted by now . It’s a lost cause . I would cut it back remove completely . Should help the sprout you have . Seal the cut well . You need a active pest and disease. Program . I learned this to late . Lost a great collected tree to borers my first round of bonsai Looking forward to apple and whatever hunting as soon as it dries up a little this spring .

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Apple hunting new friend of the wife’s . Local goat farmer . They will eat anything been i. The same slightly wooded pasture for 20 years . 👍👍 lots of apple orchards around here . The. Macintosh apple tree was discovered about 15 miles away by a pioneering family

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Apple hunting new friend of the wife’s . Local goat farmer . They will eat anything been i. The same slightly wooded pasture for 20 years . 👍👍 lots of apple orchards around here . The. Macintosh apple tree was discovered about 15 miles away by a pioneering family
Goats are hellions!

Eating the siding off of grain silos.. and getting their heads stuck in fences...

And when you find that one that DOESNT "come" to a shaking bucket... they are HARD to catch (at least for an 11 year-old.)

😂

@Japonicus , I'd start cutting that shoulder back towards the shoot.bit by bit..just see what's there.

I would, also Remove the. top slowly... over three prunes... one now, one midsummer.. and final prune Next spring OR Summer.. but that's ME.

Last edited:

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In New York Central Park they section of parts of the park . And release goats reason is there using them as a environmentally friendly way to eradicate poison. Ivy . They have tried everything else and goats not only will eat it they like it🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️Maybe I’m to hopefully looking for trees in there pasture . At least cows leave a nice trunk 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would take off that branch
Hey Arnold!
Is that in anticipation of cutting back to that low shoot eventually?
1649557749142.png 1649557778527.png
Oh, yeh the one I wired up. I knew that created less taper and higher branching
to make that the main trunk, but it added movement, though up too high.
You're right it is thicker than the other branches and would be one to remove.
Question on that, since I plan to cut all the way back eventually...
...Does such an apical leader help in trunk thickening as with pines?
Considering all the upper foliage as sacrifice.
It is rather well up-potted, from the 6" pot it I put it in, summer of '18...

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
DSC_7568.JPGDSC_7569.JPG
Pretty much in full bloom at full moon this year. The new shoot is coming right along.
When should I begin pinching out new leaves or cutting back a couple of nodes to begin the process?
It is feasible to start a twin trunk all over again better ramified, or to sacrifice all but the new shoot.
My guess, is that to redevelop a twin trunk I wouldn't touch it for 2 more years,
and if I want to use the new shoot as a starting over point, then I need to address new growth sooner
and wire is another thing. This shoot, against the old removed trunk, is more susceptible to ruin when wiring.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m concerned with my crab apple planted in my yard . Normally it flowers and fruits very heavy . Last year it had a rain and wind storm wreak havoc on the flowers . Without having to use energy for fruit . I thought it would like the year off . But it seemed to struggle especially in the mid summer heat . Made sure ir got a dormant spray fall and spring . Hope it goes better this year . 👍👍

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was concerned when I was removing the stub that there was still green in it,
which there was, and a life line might be removed, but clearly and thankfully that was not the case.
Yours is a nice tree . And they heal fairly fast . Although dead wood is common on wild collected trees . It’s a good idea to not risk the problems without reason . The. Pink flowers are striking on yours .

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yours is a nice tree . And they heal fairly fast . Although dead wood is common on wild collected trees . It’s a good idea to not risk the problems without reason . The. Pink flowers are striking on yours .
Thank you, but I don't think this had a very well developed structure when I got it.
The new shoot was the intended result (although much much lower than expected)
of cutting the one trunk back so hard. Now it's like a 2 yr old seedling and I don't have
any daddy experience at this stage.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Been a couple of years.
Watered it today and the water ponded so out and back in the same pot.20240312_193719.jpg
Last year I wired the new trunk.
With consideration of the shoot that popped in post 17 now trunk, I changed the planting angle.
Hmm, why didn't I wire it as a cascade last year? That would be pretty.20240312_193812.jpg
20240312_193751.jpg

I will update when it blooms

Top Bottom