1st JBP

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
Before and after a balancing trim and pluck. Hope I didn't take to much.
Any thoughts or advice?
Thanks for looking

JBP 2.12.15.jpg IMG_20150215_160320412_HDR.jpg

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks... Familiar... Did you buy this one off Ebay or FB?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well. What are your objectives here? it seems as though you've removed all of the inner growth and needles and left the big leggy outer branches. Why did you do that?

Scott

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
Well. What are your objectives here? it seems as though you've removed all of the inner growth and needles and left the big leggy outer branches. Why did you do that?

Scott
All the inner growth was coming from the same area...It had all ready created a bulge, and reverse tapper.
Thinking windswept. Guess I should have asked for advice before hand.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would plant it in a pond basket this spring and let it grow out. Also get some wire on it and add some movement.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Surely you just had it indoors temporarily, right?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
All the inner growth was coming from the same area...It had all ready created a bulge, and reverse tapper.
Thinking windswept. Guess I should have asked for advice before hand.

Everything is done for a reason. You have a small tree - you have to decide what you want. If you want to keep it small, you need small branches with branching close to the trunk. The branches you have now are too long, too straight, and lack branching close to the trunk. They have no future in your tree. They'll have to be replaced by new branches like the ones you removed. Interior growth is important. If you intention is to develop the trunk, the big branches you have may be used as sacrifices, in which case, you don't want to be removing needles as you want those to grow huge - like six feet tall. You'll still need interior growth though, as your future tree will still need branches, with breaching close to the trunk, etc. the trick with pines is you have to do both at the same time.

But your tree is young. You'll get something again, as long as your tree stays healthy. Speaking of which - did you just bring it inside to take a picture of it?

Scott

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
It was only inside for pictures. Thank you for the guidance.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Looks pretty young judging by the smooth bark and foliage. I would dwell and what the future you want for this tree. I have one about this size that has been in the ground with a few sacrifice branches and the main branches kept close to the trunk. Formulate a plan, then do some research and go from there.

Top Bottom