1st Moss Job

BigLog

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have some moss in my backyard, so I decided to layer it on this spruce I dug up in West Virginia (not sure what kind of spruce). It adds a nice look, but now I’m reading that moss is only for presentations? Is this true? Does anyone have a moss layer all the time? Thanks.45CD92B4-FB1F-45A7-B933-A5F456B38521.jpeg

BigLog

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Maybe I should put this in the “ugly tree” thread? :)

pbrown00

Mame
Reaction score
I believe that most people choose not to purposely layer moss on a tree if it is not for show. The moss that we see on non-show trees usually just grew on its own. The reason that people don't like a moss layer on their soil surface year round is that it can be difficult to tell how dry or wet the soil inside the pot is. In addition, if thick enough, moss can trap water in the pot, keeping it from evaporating; therefore making it difficult to know when to water.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I believe that most people choose not to purposely layer moss on a tree if it is not for show. The moss that we see on non-show trees usually just grew on its own. The reason that people don't like a moss layer on their soil surface year round is that it can be difficult to tell how dry or wet the soil inside the pot is. In addition, if thick enough, moss can trap water in the pot, keeping it from evaporating; therefore making it difficult to know when to water.
Or even worse, water often rolls off the moss, and out of the pot! The Moss gets watered, but the tree doesn’t!

Here’s a tree I’m working on:

0CCF8FCC-3A57-433F-9C52-873619773181.jpeg

No moss.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A lot of people do keep moss on their soil surface at all times. But it’s bether to use a mixture of shredded sphagnum moss (like orchid moss from the store) and shredded live moss from your local environment. Rather then sticking thick clumps of collected moss on your soil surface. Especially if there’s still dirt and gunk on the under side of it. This will grow a thin and manageable layer of moss on your soil surface.

One of the reasons why people do this is to slow down evaporation at the soil surface and it creates a more even distribution of water throughout the water column of your soil. Meaning... instead of the top layer of your soil drying out while the bottom layer of your soil is still wet... it will help your soil dry evenly and encourage roots to populate the top layer of soil as well instead of just the bottom half of the pot.

Some poeple don’t do this, lots of people do. My teacher Bill Valavanis does. Ryan Neil lives and dies by this. But people find what does and doesn’t work for them and their water schedules/soil mixes. I personally have found that using a top dressing of moss is very helpful.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or even worse, water often rolls off the moss, and out of the pot! The Moss gets watered, but the tree doesn’t!

Here’s a tree I’m working on:

View attachment 198165

No moss.

You’re right, I’ve got trees both mossed and not mossed. A few like this little guy where the moss has by now grown absurdly thick. It’s real easy to think you’ve watered the tree but really only the moss is moist and the substrate is bone dry. I have to every now and then plonk this into water. I wouldn’t typically let it get this far, busy spring. I’ve yet to encounter a problem with the soil staying too moist on mossed up trees. Despite possible problems I kind of like a live moss covering though, just not silly thick like this and gotta keep it off the bark.256C108A-2684-4315-8008-3FCA3868A002.jpeg

BigLog

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You’re right, I’ve got trees both mossed and not mossed. A few like this little guy where the moss has by now grown absurdly thick. It’s real easy to think you’ve watered the tree but really only the moss is moist and the substrate is bone dry. I have to every now and then plonk this into water. I wouldn’t typically let it get this far, busy spring. I’ve yet to encounter a problem with the soil staying too moist on mossed up trees. Despite possible problems I kind of like a live moss covering though, just not silly thick like this and gotta keep it off the bark.View attachment 198183
That’s nice. What kind of tree is that?

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You’re right, I’ve got trees both mossed and not mossed. A few like this little guy where the moss has by now grown absurdly thick. It’s real easy to think you’ve watered the tree but really only the moss is moist and the substrate is bone dry. I have to every now and then plonk this into water. I wouldn’t typically let it get this far, busy spring. I’ve yet to encounter a problem with the soil staying too moist on mossed up trees. Despite possible problems I kind of like a live moss covering though, just not silly thick like this and gotta keep it off the bark.View attachment 198183

Gnarly little tree! And that’s quite the moss ball. Looking at the picture it looks as if the moss has grown to the point where it has filled all the spaces around the lip of the pot. It may not be just the fact that there’s moss on it but that there is no space left around the lip of the pot to catch the water. I suppose with moss and booze, too much of anything is never good ?. Try just trimming it back from the edges of the pot and trim the top layer off moss off like you’re mowing the lawn. Could help.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gnarly little tree! And that’s quite the moss ball. Looking at the picture it looks as if the moss has grown to the point where it has filled all the spaces around the lip of the pot. It may not be just the fact that there’s moss on it but that there is no space left around the lip of the pot to catch the water. I suppose with moss and booze, too much of anything is never good ?. Try just trimming it back from the edges of the pot and trim the top layer off moss off like you’re mowing the lawn. Could help.

Usually I do mow something like this short and pluck a bunch of holes into it as well. Things are a bit wild and unruly around here this year even by my standards!

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Usually I do mow something like this short and pluck a bunch of holes into it as well. Things are a bit wild and unruly around here this year even by my standards!

I feel that for sure!!! This is the first season that has got me thinking maybe I have taken on a few too many trees.

Top Bottom