1st post! Another nana...

Maxmonster

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey everyone
Just wanna introduce myself. Got bit by the gardening thumb a few years ago and I've grown things from strawberries to figs (mostly fruits). Always liked bonsai but seemed complicated but over the past few months I've been watching and reading alot of stuff and finally found a nana nursery stock. I decided on a front and I went to do my initial styling (going for semi cascade coming in from the left down for now...) but once I flipped the tree to the back I think I made a mistake... I did go a little crazy with the initial pruning so I am going to need to let it grow back out... but also that's keeping me from changing my mind because the front is still a work in progress as you can't really see the trunking too well...but is it me or do you guys agree that the rear should be the front... and I can continue go with a cascade from the right...I forgot to take pics of left and right but I haven't looked too closely at those sides because the nebari isn't great... thanks all!

Attachments

• 20220107_122928.jpg
    20220107_122928.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 20220107_123003.jpg
    20220107_123003.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 102

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very young tree. Possibilities abound. Change of planting angle can change surface presentation of roots as well as tree style. However NOT time to repot now. Wait until end Feb/March for this. After planting position chosen then begin study decisions on style. After repot let tree recover at least one year cannot be emphasized enough. Too much hurry up work makes MANY dead beginner trees. Repot should be in to growing container to develop bigger trunk, more foliage. No Bonsai pot as is last thing needed for some years. Patience grasshopper☺️. No wiring, no pruning! Rest and recovery please.

Maxmonster

Seedling
Reaction score
Very young tree. Possibilities abound. Change of planting angle can change surface presentation of roots as well as tree style. However NOT time to repot now. Wait until end Feb/March for this. After planting position chosen then begin study decisions on style. After repot let tree recover at least one year cannot be emphasized enough. Too much hurry up work makes MANY dead beginner trees. Repot should be in to growing container to develop bigger trunk, more foliage. No Bonsai pot as is last thing needed for some years. Patience grasshopper☺️. No wiring, no pruning! Rest and recovery please.
I was actually just gonna let it grow out come spring time. Its in a 5 gal pot.

Do you think I should remove the wiring?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you add your location to your profile, it'll help with advice. It can be as specific or general as you like, but including at least your USDA growing zone and northern or southern hemisphere really makes a difference.
I was actually just gonna let it grow out come spring time. Its in a 5 gal pot.

Do you think I should remove the wiring?
Assuming northern hemisphere and temperate climate, too late now. Repot is the big trouble spot coming up, and you've gotten good advice so far: wait until it's ready to grow again. Awaiting until the next growing season wouldn't be terrible.

Frankly, I'm jealous of the stock you have there. Great starting material. You have a good eye.
Read and research, or just do like me and kill trees until you know all about what kills them, and just do the opposite.😉

Maxmonster

Seedling
Reaction score
If you add your location to your profile, it'll help with advice. It can be as specific or general as you like, but including at least your USDA growing zone and northern or southern hemisphere really makes a difference.

Assuming northern hemisphere and temperate climate, too late now. Repot is the big trouble spot coming up, and you've gotten good advice so far: wait until it's ready to grow again. Awaiting until the next growing season wouldn't be terrible.

Frankly, I'm jealous of the stock you have there. Great starting material. You have a good eye.
Read and research, or just do like me and kill trees until you know all about what kills them, and just do the opposite.😉
Ah yeah that's what I forgot I'm literally on the border of 10a/b On the maps... sunny socal. And thanks! Yeah in terms of repotting since this is pretty much developing from scratch I wasn't going to uppot for maybe 2-3 seasons and let it grow... since I cut a bit too much off the top I may have to let it grow a bit more and uppot a few years down.

I majored in art... all about form...

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ah yeah that's what I forgot I'm literally on the border of 10a/b On the maps... sunny socal. And thanks! Yeah in terms of repotting since this is pretty much developing from scratch I wasn't going to uppot for maybe 2-3 seasons and let it grow... since I cut a bit too much off the top I may have to let it grow a bit more and uppot a few years down.

I majored in art... all about form...
If you know art, then think sculpture.
Really slow sculpture.

A repot into a shallow, wide container will give you better results in the future, but if you've wrapped your head around the time and patience part of bonsai I'd suggest waiting until your SECOND opportunity, not your first.
Probably late summer, early fall this year.
If it's too hard to wait, trees are everywhere if you know how to look. Find a more resilient one to work on for now.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Maxmonster

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

So I've been looking at how to move forward with this tree... I dont want it particularly large... I would like the nebari to thicken a bit more but I guess all in time... but I think I've finally settled on a front after looking at it more... I think now ill just leave it for a few seasons... just wanted the initial shape mostly...

Attachments

• 20220111_124824.jpg
    20220111_124824.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 39

Highbidjj

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7is
Welcome. It's a matter of time.

As it's your first, you will change your mind often and then as soon as you commit to an angle or cut, you will change your mind again.

Enjoy it for a couple of years and the vision will come.

The first lessons are all about keeping the trees healthy. The art will follow.

Good luck

Top Bottom