1st styling critique: olive

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Ok I’m here to get better. So don’t shy away from being brutally honest. Whatcha think? I contemplated on removing the branch inside the curve on the right. Still may. 8D469234-C27A-4FB0-A36C-D602D31C311F.jpeg91BBF74F-F54F-4EC8-8FCE-BA878656CF63.jpegAFA4ED7E-C101-44C2-947F-E6FEA683A4F9.jpeg5E5A1355-5620-4B48-B67B-7BB35E8AD1D3.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Cool Tree!

In response to the “be honest about my tree.” - thing:

While your work appears to be technically proficient, I am having a hard time seeing “the tree”.. or direction.
I believe this to be a combination of the lack of successive taper from the middle of the trunk, upwards, and the many branches my eyes are trying to fix into place to “set” the design visually.

After that 2nd or 3rd(at least) branch up, the taper needs to ..well taper up.. to give impression of scale... this is not your fault.... just more seasons(and harder prunes) are needed..

The reason, I feel, it seems as though you had trouble “committing” to certain branches or directions, is that you are designing those branches, up in what I believe to be “sacrifice zone”..

I, personally, would plan lower... and slower.

As I said, your procedural skills seem to be technically proficient, and I believe this tree will “give back” much with time.

Nice Tree, again!

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I would, personally chop lower, grow out(correct timing and whatnot for where you are/your growing situation). but that also depends on your “finished vision” of the tree... If you are planning on “finishing” taller than what you have, you could go taller and allow that to taper realistically to scale... but, as I said, I PERSONALLY, would chop lower. I play pretty “wild”, though.

🤓

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
When I think olives, I think big trunk. Not saying all olives need fat trunks,.... but I’d probably let it run wild for a few years +
It is a nice start tho. 😁

Top Bottom