1ST TIME BONSAI?!

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! Just recently discovered this forum and would love to get some help. My boyfriend and I just bought a bonsai tree today. Basically we have NO IDEA how to take care of it. But I guess we all start somewhere right? I've attached a photo of it. From the little research I've done, it seems to be a Juniper Bonsai. The guy (from the side of the road in a van) that we bought it from told us to keep it indoors. Looks like he was wrong and it's supposed to be kept outside. We live in Las Vegas, so it gets SUPER hot here. Should we be worried? We really don't want to kill it... it wasn't cheap. Please help us out! Thanks!

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't see the picture of the tree in your post. If the bonsai is indeed a juniper, it should definitely be kept outside. My generic recommendation for someone new to bonsai is:
1) Get an introductory book on bonsai to learn the basics of how to care for a tree, some terminology, etc.
2) Try to find out if there is a bonsai club in your local area and, if so, join it. You can learn a lot from other bonsai people.

BISTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello Everyone! Just recently discovered this forum and would love to get some help. My boyfriend and I just bought a bonsai tree today. Basically we have NO IDEA how to take care of it. But I guess we all start somewhere right? I've attached a photo of it. From the little research I've done, it seems to be a Juniper Bonsai. The guy (from the side of the road in a van) that we bought it from told us to keep it indoors. Looks like he was wrong and it's supposed to be kept outside. We live in Las Vegas, so it gets SUPER hot here. Should we be worried? We really don't want to kill it... it wasn't cheap. Please help us out! Thanks!
[/QUOTE
Consider joining out club Las Vegas Bonsai Society. Look it up on FAcebook.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Bistek's post was a little hard to read - look up the Las Vegas Bonsai Society on Facebook. This is best place to get information on how to handle trees in your LOCAL climate. And seeing other bonsai trees will really help.

Juniper are best as an outdoor tree, though they can hang in there as an indoor tree if you are a ''green thumb'' with indoor houseplants. Best results are outdoors.

But the Las Vegas heat is a killer, initially put it outside in the shade until daytime highs stay below 95 F. Morning sun afternoon shade may be best. But go to a meeting and ask the members there how they handle the Las Vegas climate. It is hot there, makes gardening difficult.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My experience....if I keep a Juniper inside for very long it will die. I will think it’s alive...when it’s not. Eventually I will have sticks with no needles.

You might try outside in filtered sun for your climate. By filtered I mean put it under a deck, next to an open-foliage bush, under a tree...something like that. You don’t need to get to elaborate right away...just keep the tree alive first. Learn about watering....especially in your climate.

That tree photo you mentioned would be helpful. Attaching is easy...but resize it, or simply crop it to reduce size, before trying to attach it.

BISTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Bistek's post was a little hard to read - look up the Las Vegas Bonsai Society on Facebook. This is best place to get information on how to handle trees in your LOCAL climate. And seeing other bonsai trees will really help.

Juniper are best as an outdoor tree, though they can hang in there as an indoor tree if you are a ''green thumb'' with indoor houseplants. Best results are outdoors.

But the Las Vegas heat is a killer, initially put it outside in the shade until daytime highs stay below 95 F. Morning sun afternoon shade may be best. But go to a meeting and ask the members there how they handle the Las Vegas climate. It is hot there, makes gardening difficult.

You are absolutely correct Leo. I use shade cloth for all my juniper and some trees that requires shade during the hot months. Its very challenging here in this zone but there are still ways to handle issues with regards to growing bonsai.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Look around in the landscapes for trees and shrubs that will live in your climate. Buy small ones from a local landscape nursery. Leave exotic for when you have more experience. There's more to bonsai than first meets the eye...

Top Bottom