2 black pines

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
I bought these two black pines recently, what do you all think?

This thread will document there progress

There is not much to show at the moment.

I will be using this calender to help me train both tree's as i have never worked on a pine before

Screenshot_2016-04-27-15-00-23-1.png

Small one

Snapchat-1986632145643517067.jpg Snapchat-651774978317116381.jpg

Larger one

Snapchat-2644920694044420897.jpg Snapchat-2033469425965573265.jpg Snapchat-3291065747805199380.jpg

Daluke

Mame
Reaction score
You are going to kill the needles caught under the wire in the first tree. New buds usually form from alive needle sockets, so it's important try and wire around the needles as it's hard to get buds from spots which are bare or have dead needles. I find trimming needles to the socket promotes backbudding.

Who formulated your table? I live in Melbourne and it seems pretty consistent with those experienced people I listen too and simple.

Feed and water heavily and keep in full sun always!

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
You are going to kill the needles caught under the wire in the first tree. New buds usually form from alive needle sockets, so it's important try and wire around the needles as it's hard to get buds from spots which are bare or have dead needles. I find trimming needles to the socket promotes backbudding.

Who formulated your table? I live in Melbourne and it seems pretty consistent with those experienced people I listen too and simple.

Feed and water heavily and keep in full sun always!
Cheers mate i was being lazy. Somebody posted the table on a thread at ausbonsai.com.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I bought these two black pines recently, what do you all think?
It's good to develop JBP on a thoughtful plan, but I think you need to read a little more about developing black pine for bonsai. Several of your tasks are for refining black pines (breaking spring candles, summer candle pruning), and need to come after you've finished developing the trunks and primary branches. Removing unwanted needles, shoots, and buds needs to be a very strategic process. Read a bit on how to select these needles, shoots, and branches by classifying them as with final branches, or sacrifice branches. Then you can make your plan. Here is some reading:
https://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07/13/sacrifice-branches-black-pine-part-2/

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
It's good to develop JBP on a thoughtful plan, but I think you need to read a little more about developing black pine for bonsai. Several of your tasks are for refining black pines (breaking spring candles, summer candle pruning), and need to come after you've finished developing the trunks and primary branches. Removing unwanted needles, shoots, and buds needs to be a very strategic process. Read a bit on how to select these needles, shoots, and branches by classifying them as with final branches, or sacrifice branches. Then you can make your plan. Here is some reading:
https://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07/13/sacrifice-branches-black-pine-part-2/

Awesome cheers. I do have a basic plan for the larger one but it is hard to get a picture to explain with all the needs in the way. I am using the tallest shoot/sacfrifice to thicken the trunk

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score

But you are right. I dont really know what i am doing when it comes to pines

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
Unless developing tree for Literati is best to use low or lowest branch to thicken trunk and develop taper;).

I was just going to let the whole thing grow and then end then cut the tallest branch leader. It is dead straight without any branching

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
There is some good branching down below that should create a good shape.

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
I have had these in the ground for a while now. I wired the larger jbp yesterday.

Im really stumped on where to go with this one and how to get there. Its hard to see the branch structure with all the needles in the way. Does anybody have some advice?Snapchat-3209133151843454809.jpg Snapchat-5155141696381395579.jpg Snapchat-3416163771729452974.jpg Snapchat-4677852837085145840.jpg Snapchat-6014532513975512117.jpg

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
As i mentioned in an earlier post. I have a main leader that is dead straight which i am letting grow out. I will cut this in a few years then start again. Is rhis all i really should be doing at the moment?Screenshot_2016-06-21-18-17-10.png

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In a word, YES.

That calander you posted in your first post is all wrong. Toss it out. BVF said it was more about refining, and it is, but even then, it's wrong.

For example, decandling is done early to mid summer, not spring when the candles are really small the way your calendar suggests.

Reject that calander, and reject the source of mis-information that created it!

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
As mentioned i am a complete and utter noob. But i believe the reason that the times could be diferent to what you are used to is that it is designed for the clinate of the east coast of australia?

Last edited:

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As mentioned i am a complete and utter noob. But i believe the reason that the times could be diferent to what you are used to is that it is designed for the clinate of the east coast of australia?
Spring is spring, and summer is summer, no matter where you are. Don't decandle in spring only mid summer or when there's around 100 days left before your average first frost.

Aaron

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
Spring is spring, and summer is summer, no matter where you are. Don't decandle in spring only mid summer or when there's around 100 days left before your average first frost.

Aaron

We do not get frosts here. Or very rarely. Thanks for the info anyway. I need all the help i can get.

Last edited:

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ad
In a word, YES.

That calander you posted in your first post is all wrong. Toss it out. BVF said it was more about refining, and it is, but even then, it's wrong.

For example, decandling is done early to mid summer, not spring when the candles are really small the way your calendar suggests.

Reject that calander, and reject the source of mis-information that created it!

Adair - I know you receive handouts from Boon & thank you for posting them here for our benefit.

Has Boon (or indeed yourself) ever produced a similar table to the one shown on this thread with approximate timings? I understand that you can never do a table that fits all climates but it would be an excellent starting point for those of us getting used to jbp cultivation cycles.

Thanks

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ad

Adair - I know you receive handouts from Boon & thank you for posting them here for our benefit.

Has Boon (or indeed yourself) ever produced a similar table to the one shown on this thread with approximate timings? I understand that you can never do a table that fits all climates but it would be an excellent starting point for those of us getting used to jbp cultivation cycles.

Thanks
I don't think Boon has ever made a calander like that. Except, I think there may be one on the Bay Island Bonsai web site. That's his club. And the calander would be geared towards what to do in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Not much to look at but abit of an update. My plan atm is to grow it as much as i can for a few more years then chop it at the lowest branch as a new leader.

20170720_094029.jpg 20170720_094033.jpg 20170720_094121.jpg

Top Bottom