2 Brazilian rain tree questions

Terrapinflyer

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello,
I have a largish BRT that routinely loses leaves just before buds break in those spots. It doesn't concern me, but would like to remove them as they happen. Once they have yellowed, I assume they are not making energy for the tree and could be removed, being cautious for die-back. Am I correct?

Also, I have seen it said that these root readily from cuttings. I have had no luck with soft or semi-hard wood cuttings, with and without rooting hormone. Anyone here have success and would like to share their technique? Am I out of luck trying to propagate this in Zone 6b?

Michael

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Michael,

Yes, once the leaves turned yellow, you can remove it.

I took a (hardwood) cutting a few months back and it is now growing (base is about 1/2" dia). It sulked for about 2 months, lost all its leaves then started showing buds last week. Today, it has lots of leaves already. :) No special technique, just cut, shave some of the bark angle cut towards the bottom (like sharpening a pencil) then apply rooting hormone. Stuck it in a 4" pot and let it be.

BTW, it is in full TX sun the last 6 weeks (after it lost all it's leaves).

If I am you, I will attempt a cutting only after your weather/temperature is no longer dipping below 50*F at night. Good luck!

Terrapinflyer

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks.

I have never tried a large hardwood cutting. Have you tried anything smaller?

I don't quite have the growing season you down there, so I only have a few tropicals, including this rain tree. My wife is wild about BRTs so it would be great to start a baby one or two.

Michael

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My cutting is actually short/small at 5" total height IIRC. The base is thicker just because it was chopped just an inch above prior and have new growth there after. The visible branches are much younger.

I usually do not waste my time taking really tiny cuttings but do when I like a plant that is hard to get here or just want to play. :D I have several small/thin buttonwood cuttings that took for a future tanuki. :)

Terrapinflyer

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see.

They are uncommon here, I think, but mostly I want to play.

Why spend a couple bucks when I can work countless hours over a decade or two for the same thing?

Michael

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Why spend a couple bucks when I can work countless hours over a decade or two for the same thing?

LOL. Exactly!!! :eek: As long as you are having fun doing it, then time doesn't matter (heck I would even pay to play). ;)

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Michael, senescence seems to be the word of a day.

Matija

Seedling
Reaction score
Anyone know if you can take softwood, new growth cuttings on a Brazilian Raintree?
Did you ever figure out the best way to grow cuttings? I've got one at the moment which I'd like to start some cuttings from!

Top Bottom