2 European Hornbeams - almost flawless yamadori material

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Those are great finds! I like the first one, maybe get a few other shots. I would love to have that in my garden!

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Those are great finds! I like the first one, maybe get a few other shots. I would love to have that in my garden!
OK, here's few additional photos quickly captured on the phone this morning:
IMG_20170405_0717396.jpg IMG_20170405_0717470.jpg IMG_20170405_0717532.jpg IMG_20170405_0718125.jpg IMG_20170405_0718361.jpg IMG_20170405_0718440.jpg

As you can see I photographed from above - this causes the perspective to be skewed a bit - the top seem bigger than it in fact is.

Last edited:

Dalmat

Shohin
Reaction score
I recently had a co-worker move back to Slovakia.

Home of the "most foolish trophy wife"!
Trumpetess is from Slovenia not Slovakia. It is more complicated with languages slovenščina in Slovenia and slovensko in Slovakia.
I have some -esses from both countries and I can't afford to mix those two, if you know what I mean....:D

Croatia, Slovakia, Dalmatia are close

Dalmatia is in Croatia . Slovenia is close (bordering with Croatia) Slovakia is further north like 300 km.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trumpetess is from Slovenia not Slovakia. It is more complicated with languages slovenščina in Slovenia and slovensko in Slovakia.
I have some -esses from both countries and I can't afford to mix those two, if you know what I mean....:D

Dalmatia is in Croatia . Slovenia is close (bordering with Croatia) Slovakia is further north like 300 km.

I'm a slov learner!

Sorce

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
It is more complicated with languages slovenščina in Slovenia and slovensko in Slovakia.

Actually it is slovenščina in Slovenia and slovenčina in Slovakia. Just one letter with strange accent difference. The languages are quite close, but for example Slovaks (as from Slovakia) understand Croats (as from Croatia) much better than people from Slovenia. All the Slavic languages (Czech, Polish, Ukrainian, Russian, Serbian, Croatian, Slovenian, ...) are quite similar to an ear that has at least a bit of talent for languages.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanx. Your tree collection has been inspiration for me from since I have visited you almost precisely 1 year ago on April 1st it would seem ;-)
Didn't know that mate. I happy it made sense for you. Stop over next time again, we will talk and work bonsai.

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Every hornbeam in my area is bolt straight
Actually I thought the same about here. I was going to forest to pick mushrooms and was always looking for interesting trees. Not much success there for a long time - everything was just straight, no taper. After some time I found one that I thought was OK. Then one day in autumn I wondered into old quarry with my sons and found few trees that I liked (I collected them this spring as well - notice 2 miniature ones):

IMG_20170404_1835071.jpg IMG_20170404_1835167.jpg IMG_20170329_1741024.jpg IMG_20170329_1741192.jpg IMG_20170329_1741405.jpg IMG_20170404_1834440.jpg

I returned there in winter to have a look at them and on my way back I stumbled upon these 2 beauties - just few meters apart from each other and like 5 meters from road where I could get with a car. This is how they looked like (you can see the large branch on the smaller one that I cut off already. Also good nebari is visible but it was when I collected it I found it had killer nebari):
IMG_20161204_1456374.jpg IMG_20161204_1501529.jpg

So the quarry turned out to be a great resource of trees for me. There are woods all around full of straight trees but as Maros wrote: it pays off to have patience while looking. There are good trees somewhere there.

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
I'm beginning to not like you already.. ;)
Sorry about that but you haven't yet seen some other material I have collected. Just joking. There are some other interesting trees but none of them has so much potential. I'll post them later in separate threads - probably when I start working on them. So far besides few I bought all my trees were collected this spring or the last one. Before that my bonsai passion has been dormant for 25 years ;-)

Reactions: Vin

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
do you hunt morel mushrooms over there too? they will be poppin here soon in Michigan

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
...and there're two Georgia states in the World too...;)

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
do you hunt morel mushrooms over there too? they will be poppin here soon in Michigan
They are starting to grow right now. Have never been collecting them but I am planning to do so this spring. Just waiting for some rain. I usually go for these in summer/autumn (writing latin names because I only know English names for porcini, chantarelle and oyster mushroom): Boletus Edulis, Neoboletus luridiformis, Xerocomellus chrysenteron, Boletus subtomentosus, Boletus badius, Xerocomellus pruinatus, Cantharellus cibarius, Pleurotus ostreatus and sometimes Amanita rubescens (called blusher?).

Top Bottom