2 European Hornbeams - almost flawless yamadori material

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
I have collected these 2 european hornbeams (Carpinus Betulus I believe) few weeks ago. They are both large trees - the larger one almost 1m, the smaller one about 75cm. As you can see they have almost everything one can hope to get: perfect nebari, taper, trunk movement, ... The funny thing was I collected them like 5m from road in abandoned quarry nearby so no long hauling those heavy guys. Also the soil conditions there caused the trees to grow root mostly horizontally - no major tap roots, all the roots quite shallow.

The plan right now is to establish them properly for at least 1 or 2 years - they are pushing buds now as can be seen from photos. After that I will report them to some training pots. In the meantime I will start to build branch structure. The larger tree still has 2 very big branches going to the right - will remove (or shorten significantly) them later. On smaller one there was very thick branch that I removed when I brought them home. I plan on to try to heal that scar by crossing it with one or more young branches and fuse them with bark on the edges so that it will cover tho whole wound. If that should fail I would carve some nice hole ;-) The trees are potted in Zeolit - anorganic substrate. However I did not wash the roots. I removed original soil to some extent but left some. When the tree is established properly and grows bunch o feeder roots (which in Zeolit works fabulously) I will remove the rest of original soil.

I collected few more elms on that same spot: smaller size like 30-40cms after cutting and even almost mame sized ones. Will post them in another thread.

I hope you like them.

IMG_20170404_1834259.jpg IMG_20170404_1834116.jpg

Last edited:

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, when I read the thread title I said to myself "Yeah right, here we go again". But, I must admit you can't get much better than those. Very nice find and sounds like there could be more if they were in a quarry. It would be nice if you could update your profile so we know where you're from in Europe. Welcome to the Forum.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Carpinus is the hornbeam not the elm.
The tree in the second photo is best by all means! Branches already at the right position.
A lot of these trees are collected by enthusiasts in Croatia etc. Where are you from?

Last edited:

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Well, when I read the thread title I said to myself "Yeah right, here we go again". But, I must admit you can't get much better than those. Very nice find and sounds like there could be more if they were in a quarry. It would be nice if you could update your profile so we know where you're from in Europe. Welcome to the Forum.
Thanx for your kind words. Updated the profile a bit.

Reactions: Vin

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Carpinus is the hornbeam not the elm.
The tree in the second photo is best by all means! Branches already at the right position.
A lot of these trees are collected by enthusiasts in Croatia. Where are you from?
You're right - changed the title, tags and text as well. I am from Slovakia - few hundred kms to north from Croatia. What they have is Carpinus Orientalis, these are Caprinus Betulus I believe.

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Slovakia! :)
My guess was not wrong! :)
How did you guess that? Few people in US even know Slovakia exist. And from those more than half thinks of Slovenia instead (home country of your current president's current wife).

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
You made me lough! :D
I am not from US, I'm proud to be a Greek (with root origins from Asia minor) and of course D. T. is not my president :D
Welcome aboard!
Sorry - careless reading of your location info :) I love Greece - have been to Thassos island like 8 times.

Still the question remains: how did you guess Slovakia?

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
As I said above I know Marija Hajdic and Andrija Zokic (Anima Bonsai), also Sebastijan Sandev (Sandev Bonsai)
I know them too. Not personally but watching their online presentations. I envy them those vast fields of wild hornbeams and junipers (have been visiting Croatia for last 2 summers). Walter Pall said it is naive to think all such magnificent trees are abundant there but with that quantity and proper patience you could find great trees as they do.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
How did you guess that? Few people in US even know Slovakia exist. And from those more than half thinks of Slovenia instead (home country of your current president's current wife).
I must be one of the few :) Then again, part of my family came from Lithuania - even fewer people in the US know where that is. :)
Me, too...

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I laughed...love the "current wife" description. Well done.

Ahhhhh...back to the trees. Mighty...Mighty Fine Trees! Fabulous find.

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Great find, I especially like the second one.
The other one is great as well. I just realized I photographed it from quite a bad angle and also there is some "noise" in the background. I'll get better photo and post it.

Top Bottom