2 interesting seedlings.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This first is from a batch of red pines sown more than 10 years ago. I believe it may be a black pine/red pine cross. The bark is somewhat that of a red, the buds in winter are red, the needles are stiff and sharp but still soft compared with true black pine. But the outstanding feature is the needles colour. Always a deep green when other pines around it are yellowing (for whatever reason)

P1140946.JPGP1140947.JPG

And this one is from a batch of black pines sown maybe 5 years ago. I noticed one of the seedlings had very dense bushy growth and when you look closer you can see that the needles start almost at the base of the candle. Even on really vigorous shoots. So I propagated it. I seem to have misplaced the original plant!

P1140948.JPGP1140949.JPGP1140950.JPGP1140948.JPG

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First tree seems to possess unnaturally square ended needles. Of 4 JBP in personal collection one has reddish buds instead of white ones. Black and perhaps all pines have different length "necks" between present and last years needles. Some have little or no necking. These very highly desirable for Bonsai but not really rare. Nevertheless consider self blessed to have this one. Commonest trees seen for sale generally not so perfect. Along with varying needle color, bud color, bark can be somewhat variable too. Likely yours both what was originally claimed😊.

Last edited:
Top Bottom