2 junipers 1 pot

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So I went down to Atlanta for xmas and on my return trip I went by Plant City and picked up a precombens juniper, you can sort of see two different trees coming out of the same root ball, Can I seperate these two or should I keep them intact? What are yalls thoughts and I am new to Junipers so any advice would be great.SMR_2903.JPG

SMR_2901.JPG

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Use your fingers to dig a little into the soil to see if they are connected at the base below the soil line.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Chances are pretty high that they are either the second trees is a branch from the trunk of the first. Even if they are separate, pulling them apart would severely damage the root systems of both if the second has its own roots. If you did not want the "second tree", cut it off at just below soil level, you will kill the second one, but the first is nice. Tearing apart the two would likely severely damage both, possibly killing both.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, if it comes loose easy at Repot, Maybe just toss it.
I wouldn't want to sacrifice the other for it, not even the bench space and time.

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ASt the next repot, look at the second, smaller tree and descide how it is connected. Chances are that even if it is connected, the burried part may have its own roots. I would gently try to get a few small roots out, and trim them as long as possible. Then separate from the parent. Pot up and treat as a large cutting.

As indicated above, it will be unlikely you can fully teae the roots apart without lots of damage. Better to keep the main plant mostly undisturbed. With root stubs already connected, I am positive a "large cutting" has a good chance.

Of course, making a decent Yin out of is a plan too!

Wait till you repot, then look closely at that part of the rootball.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
ASt the next repot, look at the second, smaller tree and descide how it is connected. Chances are that even if it is connected, the burried part may have its own roots. I would gently try to get a few small roots out, and trim them as long as possible. Then separate from the parent. Pot up and treat as a large cutting.

As indicated above, it will be unlikely you can fully teae the roots apart without lots of damage. Better to keep the main plant mostly undisturbed. With root stubs already connected, I am positive a "large cutting" has a good chance.

Of course, making a decent Yin out of is a plan too!

Wait till you repot, then look closely at that part of the rootball.
so i dug around the base this week as spring is around the corner and lo and behold they are connected to the true base of the tree, I also pulled it out of the can and it is root bound head to toe, I also yinned the smaller tree, I feel like I could have left it alone and it would have been a fine tree, but yinning it was the way to go, thanks for all your feedback

Now how long can i wait to put lime sulphur on?
SMR_3591.JPG

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now how long can i wait to put lime sulphur on?
I normally let the wood age a bit, and only once it starts to crack naturally I put yin fluid on.

Note: The base of these branches still have bark. I find that those become places where rot sets in fast once dried out. For the time being, it is great to leave it on to see where the tree kills the branch by itself (Ideally the bark stays alive at soil level to reduce long-term rotting of the base). But do monitor the edges so you do not get a soggy mess low on the branch.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So Ive been at a club members house sifting tubs of the UNC Arboretums local mix which has red lava, granite, and a very small amount amounts of pine bark, it drains really fast, it
was free as long as I sifted him two buckets for every bucket I took home. I also feel like I could have potted it in a smaller pot, but my pot collection is very small

SMR_3614.JPG

SMR_3637.JPG

I am also thinking about pulling that jin closer to the tree with some wire, after the newly created jin dries out will it stay in place? Or will I need to raffia and wire it to get a bigger bend out of it, it definitely has 2-3 inches of wiggability with just my hand

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Am I the only one who is cracking up laughing at the connection between this thread title and a video from a while back with 2 girls and 1 cup??

Good call eliminating/"yinning" the right-hand side trunk. Nice tree, I've seen some really great Procumbens come from Plant City.

The trunk line tells me movement to the right but the branching tells me movement to the left?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I am also thinking about pulling that jin closer to the tree with some wire, after the newly created jin dries out will it stay in place? Or will I need to raffia and wire it to get a bigger bend out of it, it definitely has 2-3 inches of wiggability with just my hand
No problem just pulling the fresh made jin into a more suitable place. Will definitely stay put when the wood dries out. I don't think raffia will help because if the wood cracks now it cannot heal up. It is possible to heat jins to make the wood more pliable if you need more bend than the wood will stand as it is.

I apply lime sulphur after the wood has dried for a couple of days and can absorb the fluid. Sooner the better here where wood seems to rot fast.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also vote for heating the yin. Wire with reasonable strength wire. With a creme-brulee burner heat it to the point that the sap starts boiling and take yin pliers to move/bend as you wish to keep it. If you are working with old wood, you might need to really create a steamer for the piece. But in this case it should still work with just y=heating (Which will blacken the wood a bit!) Once cooled down you can remove the wire.

About steam bending wood: https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-how-to/wood-preparation/steam-bending

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
seems like its potted leaning too far to the right. it may be more aesthetically pleasing if the jin wasn't so horizontal? i would even go further left than in the previous photo. it seems to be the main feature of the design.
I made alot of mistakes repotting this tree, I was at a friends and we had a few beers, the pot was too big, I cut too many roots off, I ran out of soil potting it up, ill definitely take your feedback to heart after looking at it I think you are right about tilting it to the left more. Would it be bad for the tree to reposition the tree now by digging it out and repositioning the tie down wires?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would it be bad for the tree to reposition the tree now by digging it out and repositioning the tie down wires?
you repotted just a few days ago? Normally I would not think twice about repositioning in the first week or so and just do it. In that period the tree might have started pushing a few hair roots but they would not have dramatically recovered.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
you repotted just a few days ago? Normally I would not think twice about repositioning in the first week or so and just do it. In that period the tree might have started pushing a few hair roots but they would not have dramatically recovered.
im just going to leave it alone its been about a week since i repotted, besides all my maples are creating leaves and I have 27 of them , so I have my pinching duties to attend to

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
im just going to leave it alone its been about a week since i repotted, besides all my maples are creating leaves and I have 27 of them , so I have my pinching duties to attend to
Good call. Bonsai not intended to be created in a single day. Much better to take the long view and take plenty of time.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice tree, I’m heading to Georgia in a couple of weeks for a get away with the wife. I will be stopping by there to check it out, heard good things about it.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice tree, I’m heading to Georgia in a couple of weeks for a get away with the wife. I will be stopping by there to check it out, heard good things about it.
he has a sea of junipers im tempted to ask you to pick me one up

Top Bottom