2 junipers, what to do.....

robdog289

Seedling
Reaction score
I have 2 junipers, I've had them for almost three years, they were just homedepot clearance items in the outdoor nursery section, they are more or less ignored and sit outside all year around. I chop them up once in a while. I should have just let them grow out but didn't. Any opinions to make these a little better in the future. I will be repotting them into bigger pots this weekend. The rocks are not glued on by the way, just for looks and helps keep some moisture in the little pots.

Attachments

• IMG_0616.JPG
    IMG_0616.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0617.JPG
    IMG_0617.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 99

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
Yes, I think you have the right idea. Just let them grow on in large containers and you can stake them as well if you want more upright trees in future. Concentrate on developing the trunks and the foliage can be paid attention to later. Feed like crazy.

cbobgo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
these are full and healthy and i don't see any reason to grow them out. Go ahead and get some wire on them and give them a pleasing shape and movement, then next year get them into some small semi cascade pots and you will have two cute little shohin trees.

They will never be show stopper trees, but they can be nice trees that you can enjoy and use to develop your skills on.

- bob

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think Bob is on the right track here, these would need more than a couple of years to develope into "trunked" junis, and you have what looks like material geared towards cascades. Buy some older stock to grow out or put some smaller stuff in the ground for down the road.

Pruned and wired these would be a decent start to having trees in a pot to work on.

Almost reverse bonsai forum advice, don't put the small tree in the ground.:eek:

robdog289

Seedling
Reaction score
I really just want something halfway decent, not looking for show stoppers. Also, these are good for practice. They are going to both be cascades in the future....

Top Bottom