2 million yen bonsai... with a nice pot :)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
While surfing Yahoo! Japan I came across this interesting tree that someone is trying to sell for $2.5 million Yen (approx. $20,000). The tree didn't do much for me (aside from its size), but I had to look twice at the "pot". It appears to be a solid hunk of granite with a dragon carved out of its lip. Check out how the body of the dragon runs all along the back edge. The tree might not be worth $20K, but the pot is worth a few pennies :) Hope you enjoy the photos...

dragon1.jpg

dragon2.jpg

dragon3.jpg

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Am I crazy or is the dragon having a good laugh at the sign with the price on it.

Attachments

• dragon3.jpg
    dragon3.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 36
Reaction score
There are ponderosa pines all over around here that look alot better than that. I guess I should go into business and start selling them for a few million yen too. Who hoo Im rich

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The tree is OK, but I don't like the pot, I find it very kitsch.
Maybe with another tree : I hate the pot and the tree together, I think they don't match.
To me, the pot is much too heavy for a trunk which is quite slender, and the movement is wrong.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The pot is a work of art on its own. However, I would suggest that a better tree would fight with the pot for attention. So this one may be prime based on its movement and less-than-stellar artistry.

In other words, in this case, the tree is the frame.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's priced pretty much correctly for a hand carved marble hot tub.

Will

Ashbarns

Mame
Reaction score
That's priced pretty much correctly for a hand carved marble hot tub.
Will[/quote

Now that was funny. But I agree the the pot is overkill for the trunk. The pot shape could be right with a thicker trunk in that style. The price is about right for someone with plenty of money and little idea of tree presentation.

Ash

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am not sure, could be an old bath tub, or a newer one reused as a pot, stone bathtubs were common. Don't forget to wash before you take a bath. ;)

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
This could be a bathtub, it looks large enough. They are probably throwing the garden tree in for free.

The carving looks awfully fresh and clean to be an antique, though.

fwhou

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bathing with the dragon...

I am not sure, could be an old bath tub, or a newer one reused as a pot, stone bathtubs were common. Don't forget to wash before you take a bath. ;)

Will

So who wants to climb into a stone tub with a foul-breathed dragon checkin you out?? LOL!
Flex / 4MAAT

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey Will,
You think they would throw in a Geisha, and a few towels with the tub? (for that price):p

Top Bottom