2 Most Likely Shohin Junipers

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I collected these in spring of this year. Which one do you like better?

DSC01321.jpg

DSC01315.jpg

DSC01300.jpg

DSC01305.jpg

DSC01306.jpg

DSC01312.jpg

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
They are both very nice -- tho it's a bit hard to see the first one. I think I'd see more chance for a different bonsai with the first one. The second would be too easy to turn into a cookbook juniper with jin and shari.

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
All 3 are wicked...but I personally love #3.

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
There's only two ;)

no sh*t, you're right...that one pic threw me off, now I see it's at an angle. Well, that's the one:)

I guess I coulda read the header too...

Last edited:

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Awesome. I like them both, and see very bright futures for them if they survive of course. If they were for sale I'd buy them both...

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I prefer the 2nd... but I like them both. I think on the 2nd once you highlight the live vein and clean up the superfluous deadwood, there will be a really nice flow to the lower trunk.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate it! I can't decide which one I like better and they are both very different trees. I love the dead wood on #1 and especially the hole it has. However #2 has more interesting movement and cool jin and shari as well. Dav4-I'm sorry i'm currently out of town for thanksgiving, but i'll try and get some pics of the back. On #2 you can kind of tell where the live vein is mostly on the back and right side of the tree. You can tell a slight change in color, but I have not cleaned it up/removed some of the dead bark to show it off more.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate it! I can't decide which one I like better and they are both very different trees. I love the dead wood on #1 and especially the hole it has. However #2 has more interesting movement and cool jin and shari as well. Dav4-I'm sorry i'm currently out of town for thanksgiving, but i'll try and get some pics of the back. On #2 you can kind of tell where the live vein is mostly on the back and right side of the tree. You can tell a slight change in color, but I have not cleaned it up/removed some of the dead bark to show it off more.
I see it now...awesome little juniper. For the record, as different as they are, I think they both have great potential. I would have difficulty choosing as well. Have fun with them.

Dave

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are both nice trees and look well one their way to great specimens. Have you done anything yet to preserve the dead wood?

ed

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see a better tree in no. one.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Here's a quick update on the sierra. Not the greatest picture, you can see the detail in the deadwood much better in my first post. It's not actually Shohin-too big.

IMG_2418.jpg

IMG_2423.jpg

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like the first one. Your pic is taken at an angle but if I turn my head and look at it with the potted angle I enjoy it even more. Great find. Wow

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
yenling, do you have an update on the other one? This one is looking very healthy.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys! Judy I have not done anything with the other besides let it grow, it's growing well but not as much as this one-I may style next year depending on how it looks. Tom-collected from the Sierras and the Desert with permit, sorry that's about as specific as I can be on a public forum.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Update on #1, it's a little too big for Shohin, more of a small Chuhin size. I ended up selling tree #2 to my buddy Greg. The tree below is not actually in the pot below, the actual tree is behind that pot so I could see what this pot/tree combo would look like.

image_zpsa91c4bb3.jpg

Top Bottom