#2 New JerseyBlueberry Yamadori

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Went out for a tree hunting trip and came back with this interesting blueberry . I’m not the best collector but I did fine on the collecting process. It’s still a little dirty and covered with fungus. Let me know if you have any thoughts on what I could of improved on or anything!

Attachments

• 88CB01BB-85F8-4950-9F0B-F9B2E0F87255.jpeg
    88CB01BB-85F8-4950-9F0B-F9B2E0F87255.jpeg
    432.1 KB · Views: 201
  • CC80A39B-E96D-488D-BB80-34487F0BD7E6.jpeg
    CC80A39B-E96D-488D-BB80-34487F0BD7E6.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 179

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Went out for a tree hunting trip and came back with this interesting blueberry . I’m not the best collector but I did fine on the collecting process. It’s still a little dirty and covered with fungus. Let me know if you have any thoughts on what I could of improved on or anything!
@Leo in N E Illinois would be your blueberry guy.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What are you trying to clean up? The pale green stuff looks like lichen and doesn't hurt anything.

Nice stump, the Lenz book Bonsai from the wild has a chapter on blueberries

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
What are you trying to clean up? The pale green stuff looks like lichen and doesn't hurt anything.

Nice stump, the Lenz book Bonsai from the wild has a chapter on blueberries
I atleast want to clean up the thick lichen and some stuff on the other side got like dirt stuck on. Sure I can keep it on but mentally I feel like I should clean some of it up

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If its freshly collected one should be apprehensive to scrub it clean of lichen. You'll likely be doing harm by leaving portions of its trunk unprotected from disease and pests so shortly after it was uprooted and potted. I'm sure you could also exhibit incredible discipline and be very meticilous to only remove lichen with minimal bark removal, but It doesn't appear to be exhibition ready any time soon, so I can't imagine there is a compelling reason to rush it.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice blueberry! Looks like great potential there. Keep us updated when it leafs out!

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I have mixed opinions on how good this tree is . If it has good potential or not . I guess I will have to wait to see where the branches start to form but it looks really nice but I don’t know if that’s my mind making it that way

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have mixed opinions on how good this tree is . If it has good potential or not . I guess I will have to wait to see where the branches start to form but it looks really nice but I don’t know if that’s my mind making it that way
It is always too early to tell.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Finally my wish came true and every branch that I kept and needed for my idea to work has growth on it 😂 . I don’t know if it’s my ego about this but I think I can make a good blueberry bonsai with it especially the cool bark and good roots . I just want to make a basic “Japanese” branching structure with this . Nothing crazy . But im gonna fertilizer it a lot to make these shoots established until next year when I will pick and choose .

Attachments

• 41AF836E-7114-4D18-B960-9F775E8ACA2A.jpeg
    41AF836E-7114-4D18-B960-9F775E8ACA2A.jpeg
    263.5 KB · Views: 98

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You're doing better than I am!
So far the only things that I wintered outside that made it are my daughter's yew and a Siberian elm, and half my spring collections aren't showing much life either.
Keep up the good work!

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice. This has great potential. A bonsai that grows yummy fruit. Win win!! You don't see blueberry as bonsai very often, especially nice ones. The great bones on this one are promising.

Keep us posted of it's progress. 👍🏼

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
You're doing better than I am!
So far the only things that I wintered outside that made it are my daughter's yew and a Siberian elm, and half my spring collections aren't showing much life either.
Keep up the good work!
Basically everything that I have had made it and I had everything in the cold snow this winter !

Top Bottom