2 New Projects. Doing anything new this year?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
A maple that grew under the fence and leaned into my yard....and an Ilex from the depot.
The maple is obviously from a seed....I have a large Sugar Maple on the other side of the property.....likely this is from that one.
Growing from under the fence for a few years gave it a nice curve in the whole trunk....just as buds were swelling I chopped it back to two leaders, cut the roots back to almost nothing and planted it in the pond basket with lava pumice and bark.....been a growing machine since....might have a good future.
20190519_204349.jpg20190519_204415.jpg20190519_204445.jpg20190519_204318.jpg20190519_204512.jpg
The Ilex, I just cut it back hard and what you see is the profuse back budding from everywhere.....I even rubbed some buds off from bad spots.
20190519_204555.jpg20190519_204606.jpg20190519_204615.jpg20190519_204623.jpg20190519_204632.jpg

RobT1977

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
nice maples. the leaves look relatively small for native maples. Im growing a few , ive got some sugar or red maples , and silver maples...but they are growing in the shade so they have pretty big leaves. Pretty thin trunks so far too.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Two Big Trident layers and a large cork elm layer.

This big cork elm is about four inches across at the layer and the tree is about six and a half inches tall.
021.JPG023.JPG024.JPG

The top of this trident is being taken out. Tree is about 3.5 inches at the layer and 7 inches tall.

004.JPG

This trident is also having the top taken off. This trident is about 4 inches across at the layer and about 9 inches tall.

DSC_00041.JPG
003.jpg007.JPG

All three of the trees growing roots. Rained all day today!

DSC_0033.JPG

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Two Big Trident layers and a large cork elm layer.

This big cork elm is about four inches across at the layer and the tree is about six and a half inches tall.
View attachment 243015View attachment 243016View attachment 243017

The top of this trident is being taken out. Tree is about 3.5 inches at the layer and 7 inches tall.

View attachment 243028

This trident is also having the top taken off. This trident is about 4 inches across at the layer and about 9 inches tall.

View attachment 243020
View attachment 243026View attachment 243027

All three of the trees growing roots. Rained all day today!

View attachment 243029
Nice Al!
Inspiration for me to air layer my fat corker!.....

Last edited:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Red Maple seeds don’t need to stratify over winter. They can start growing as soon as they hit the ground.
Plan for this maple is to strengthen it up and start a good root system in the pond basket.
Then in a year or two I'll plant it back in the growing on top of a tile and let it thicken up for a while!

RobT1977

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Plan for this maple is to strengthen it up and start a good root system in the pond basket.
Then in a year or two I'll plant it back in the growing on top of a tile and let it thicken up for a while!
how does the pond basket work?what is your method to strengthen the roots ?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
how does the pond basket work?what is your method to strengthen the roots ?

@Vance Wood has a patent for Grow Boxes..... You may have also seen Air Pots on the market.....or heard of people growing their trees in colanders.

The pond basket and similar things will cause the roots to "air prune" themselves.

When the roots grow to the edge and hit the air, the tip dies and the root sub divides further back.
This gives the tree a very dense root ball of all feeder roots, no long circling roots in the bottom.
With more feeder roots and a need for more water than usual, the tree can take up more fertilizer and water and grow faster.
@Anthony has some good anecdotal evidence in the form of pictures of 2 similar Brazilian Rain Trees, the one in an airport is significantly more vigorous and larger.

Some say doing this me this correctly is like "supercharging the tree's growth".

This tree had about 99% of its roots removed. So I think the pond basket should create a nice set of new feeders.

This happens in nature when a tree grows on a river bank or cliff edge.

RobT1977

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Vance Wood has a patent for Grow Boxes..... You may have also seen Air Pots on the market.....or heard of people growing their trees in colanders.

The pond basket and similar things will cause the roots to "air prune" themselves.

When the roots grow to the edge and hit the air, the tip dies and the root sub divides further back.
This gives the tree a very dense root ball of all feeder roots, no long circling roots in the bottom.
With more feeder roots and a need for more water than usual, the tree can take up more fertilizer and water and grow faster.
@Anthony has some good anecdotal evidence in the form of pictures of 2 similar Brazilian Rain Trees, the one in an airport is significantly more vigorous and larger.

Some say doing this me this correctly is like "supercharging the tree's growth".

This tree had about 99% of its roots removed. So I think the pond basket should create a nice set of new feeders.

thank you Anthony i will try that!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I cut my Shimp up and this thing was sitting behind me holding moss. This is the same container I vacationed 3days my trees in ever so long ago! Hydro but with holes to keep water below soil line in rain.20190523_072256_HDR.jpg

@M. Frary finally got hold of my neighbor to tell him I assed up his azalea...he thought it was his kids!

Put it in a bucket to see if I could save and bonsai it!20190523_072259_HDR.jpg

He wouldn't accept my replacement offer.
But....

Sorce

Top Bottom