2 nursery stock Yews

GrampaMoses

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have 2 nursery stock Yews, one I got 3 years ago and one I got 2 years ago. Both were repotted and pruned back the year I recieved them, but left to grow untouched since then. I'm trying to come up with a plan for the future of these 2 trees and would love any feedback!

20200415_123701-2.jpg

20200415_123729-2.jpg 20200415_123802-2.jpg

This Yew (above) I've had for 3 years now. The trunk isn't particularly thick and I don't like the nebari much, although it has an interesting "knee" which I've only seen in Cypress. (honestly, it might just be a root that changed directions and not a real knee) The roots fill the grow bag completely and I could repot it this year, but since I want to thicken the trunk, might just wait for next year and leave this one untouched for another year. Maybe I'll do some wiring in the fall.

20200415_123004-2.jpg

20200415_123033_HDR-2.jpg 20200415_123131_HDR-2.jpg

This Yew I've only had for 2 years, but I'm much happier with it. The trunk thickness and nebari are great and I want to start developing it into a bonsai. It's only been in this container for 2 years, so I don't think I need to repot it this year, but in fall I definitely want to start reducing the number of branches and shorten some of the long, straight growth. I'll also wire it into shape in fall.

One of the main reasons I wanted to post these trees was to ask a question. According to Harry Harrington's website, Yews should be repotted, "in Spring as new buds extend." Can you please look at the two smaller pictures of the buds extending? Next year, I might repot the first Yew, would this level of "buds extending" be the proper time to repot? Should Yews be repotted before buds extend this far? Should they extend a bit farther?

Thanks for any thoughts!

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The safest time to re-pot is when buds are swollen and about to open. I don’t have any Yew, but this is the general case for “elongating species.”

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think your buds are opening now.
I prefer the term "buds swelling"....."buds extending" can lead to misinterpretation.

Might still be ok to repot now though....but I'd play it safer.
I'm sure some people will recommend mid summer repotting....I think that depends on how much root you remove and your ability for aftercare.

Springtime, buds swelling up, safe bet.

GrampaMoses

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think your buds are opening now.
I prefer the term "buds swelling"....."buds extending" can lead to misinterpretation.

Perfect, thank you. I don't plan to repot either of these this year, but next year I will know what to look for and will repot them when the buds are swelling, but not open yet.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
would this level of "buds extending" be the proper time to repot? Should Yews be repotted before buds extend this far? Should they extend a bit farther?
That’s the timing I use.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I concur with all the advice above about repotting your yews as the buds swell. Here’s an image of a little guy that we’ve had quite some time. We repotted it in late February this year (mild weather around here last winter). This photo was taken 2,5 months after repotting and just before pinching back.
cheers DSD sends
0D806B38-A416-45F7-A116-AA39E0816B20.jpeg

GrampaMoses

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, I ended up not repotting either of these trees. Maybe a good thing because they grew very strongly this year!

20201010_154836.jpg 20201010_155134.jpg

I decided to wire and style the column yew and I think it turned out really nicely.

20201012_113351.jpg

20201012_113404.jpg 20201012_113413.jpg 20201012_113424.jpg

The deadwood feature might now be too tall for the tree, but I might shorten it later. Not sure.

The othe one I decided I'm not happy with the trunk thickness, so I'll be planting it in the garden to thicken up for a few years.

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
Superb evolution, I really like what you have done .
Maybe , if the ten jin is a little more inclined , that will give a little more movement and natural aspect to the tree.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe , if the ten jin is a little more inclined , that will give a little more movement and natural aspect to the tree.
Good suggestion.

I agree. The whole composition now is quite.. Sterile? Balanced? Symmetrical ?

I was thinking about suggesting to bring one of the trwo main branches in the top closer to the yin, and may it less symmetrical. Tilting will have a similar effect.

Yews are not always happy the first year after repot with strong rootwork, and may take till year 2 or 3 to start growing strongly again. So a longer period in pot helps

GrampaMoses

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Symmetrical ?

That's not the first time I've gotten that feedback on a tree I've styled! lol, I should keep that in mind before I style my next tree. I have a bad habit of always doing that.

I definitely have 2 apexes on each side of the jin that are the same height. I should make the left one the main apex (since the trunk has better movement and the jin is going to the right) and I should shorten the apex on the right. Next time I'm ready to work on this tree of course.

I'll consider changing the planting angle next repot as well, but probably not for several years.

Top Bottom