2 questions about Fertilizer

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
1. What type of Fertilizer if any, do you use in Winter on your trees in Bonsai Pots?

2. What types of organic Fertilizer do not contain Nitrogen?

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Mostly i'm just curious. It seems most organics I have seen all have nitrogen. Seems like all the meals bone, fish, blood, feather all have nitrogen, so does most poop. But I saw a 0-10-10 all organic fert once and was wondering what could possibly be in it.

drake

Seedling
Reaction score
fertiliser

in winter trees are dormant whether they are deciduous or evergreen and so do not take up any nutrients so there is no need to use fertiliser. You should stop using fertiliser around the beginning of winter and start again in spring.

Organic fertiliser with out nitrogen im not sure of but you could do a search on Google or something

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
With the mild winters out here in California we can get away with a few things that others east of us cannot. Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks has an article that states that roots will continue to grow with daytime temps above 50 degrees which is the case most of the time for us in California in some areas. It is not uncommon for maples to begin bud swelling towards the end of January in the Bay Area giving us a really long growing season for some species of trees.

Super phosphate with is either 0-10-10 or 0-20-20 depending on what is available in your area is something that many of us out here add into soil at repotting to assist in root development.

Jeff

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On the East Coast of the US there is no need to fertilize from about late Nov. to late Feb, if your trees are outside under cover. If the soil is frozen, as is probably the case with most trees under mulch with minimal protection, the tree is incapable of using it. The warmer the conditions in the winter the shorter the period of no fertilizer. It's a sliding scale and depends where you live.

Also, you have to be mindful even when you begin fertilizing in the spring. I've had bonsai nursery people tell me that too much fertilizer in early spring can be counterproductive, since the plants can't really use Nitrogen efficiently without fully formed leaves...

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

since the plants can't really use Nitrogen efficiently without fully formed leaves...[/QUOTE]

Hey Mark, where did this come from? Nitrogen is required in all cell functions. Wood

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't really know the mechanics of the thought, only that they said back off a bit on the N early even for N lovers like hornbeam. Too much, in their experience, early in the year can inhibit growth. I've found that to be true. I had read that hornbeam loves N, so I applied it every week and a half or so on my hornbeams from early March until June or so. THey didn't really responde with heavy growth. I stopped doing that a few years ago. Trees seem a bit more vigorous with a little less fert. in the early spring.

Top Bottom