~2 year old JBP seedling

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I received this seedling from a $1 club raffle last year - I was told that it's probably a JBP. I buried the plastic pot that it came in into the ground and put some mulch around it to overwinter, then potted it into the current pot this spring.

IMG-1764.jpg
I'm new to bonsai and super new to pines. I'm mainly curious about what to do at this stage of development. It's got 4 huge candles all coming out of the same spot and I'm worried if that might cause some reverse taper. Some of those candles even have buds starting to form on them. Should I remove 2 of those candles now or not worry about that until it's a bit more grown up?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't worry much about the reverse taper yet. Think about by fall maybe.

Nice for a dollar!

Sorce

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do yourself a big favor and slip pot it into either a colander or a pond basket now and in a few years you'll be glad you did believe me. The pot you have it in now will keep it thin and small. These are only 4yrs old at the time and the trunks have fattened up quite nicely by then. jbp51.jpg

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So, I get that pond baskets and colanders work really well, but why exactly is that? More aeration?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice looking small pot equals skinny trunk🧐. Be aware using garbage plastic baskets tree dries out enthusiasticly quick in hot, dry, windy weather unless tended diligently. One day=dead tree! Better to use grow box, grow bag or plant in ground to largely avoid death;).

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice looking small pot equals skinny trunk🧐. Be aware using garbage plastic baskets tree dries out enthusiasticly quick in hot, dry, windy weather unless tended diligently. One day=dead tree! Better to use grow box, grow bag or plant in ground to largely avoid death;).
Potawatomi13, why are you posting on this thread? You don’t like JBP. Do you even have any? If you don’t, you have no experience. Why would you think that anyone wants to hear what someone who has Expressed their distain for JBP has to say about how to grow them?

Have you ever used a colander to grow pines? No? No experience with that, either?

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
3 years later, still going. I decandled the lower candles last year to keep those internodes tight. Left the sacrifice branch alone to grow strong.
Whole tree with sacrifice
5357F6BC-12BA-4D89-9AC2-C7D128199AAA.jpeg

Future tree is a shohin somewhere in here:
7E465A3D-8105-4258-990D-FB1FF044EEBF.jpeg

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Nice! So that's 5 years old now?

Mine are almost 3 yrs (and younger) now and definitely need to be potted into grow boxes next spring.

Top Bottom