2 years of development

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks for all the kind words, I definitely owe a lot of credit to this site, the people here, and the people that haven't been back for a while. @milehigh_7 Not sure if you remember sending 3 JBP seedlings to FL around 4 years ago, but they've been in the ground for 2 years now, thanks! I don't frequent bnut nearly as often as I used to (the boy in the photo, #2 on the way, 2 jobs, the list goes on).

Shorty has an intelligent look in his eye!
Push him!

My daughter is in first grade and 1st in her class in math "timings" test.
And second to one boy in her grade level.

But here's the thing....
My little guy, with that same look in his eye....2 years younger than her and doing the same math!

If I throw a harder problem out to her....
Sometimes he'll answer first!

Anyway, great looking kid!

I'm throwing this in here so we can flip flop the pics to peep change.
View attachment 137900
Great progress....
I still think the top should be "more delicate".

Love the pot!

Sorce

I'm trying to push him and teaching him early about as much as possible. I've never loved anything like I do him, it's an amazing feeling. I can't wait to meet him younger siblings. Sounds like yours are well on their way!

The top is going to become more delicate. I just need to look at it more. It will something along these lines: reducing back the branch that has a red line through it, and slightly reducing the green line branch, and/or more wire. When I do this I think I'm going to need to pull down a lot of the back with wire. Maybe in summer, but I'm also keeping an eye on the chop healing a little better too, I want to make sure I don't compromise that. [insert "but it's an elm" here]

Untitled.png

Couldn't help myself.

View attachment 137901

I think the apex could be more well thought out than I deleted.....

But those 2 side branches....
(especially if we can not pleasingly remove one altogether...)

I think you can favor the backside growth for depth, and get it more delicate looking at the sides.

Big Zone Envy!:D

Sorce

You don't like the side branches? Oh man, I think they're going to make this tree better than without come ~2 more years. I agree they should look better, but for me it's more "gnarly" than delicate. Can a branch be gnarly and delicate? Maybe. With some more backbudding and ramification I'm hoping to achieve that.

Backside for depth, most definitely. I typically favor the backside.

A beautiful tree and baby! Congrats on both, and they appear to be of a similar age.. well, the length of time this tree has been in training, and the kid?

Go check out the $.99 bonsai auctions on Facebook. Always a bunch of pots available there... Just depends on what you are looking for.

Thanks! The tree has been in training for just about 4 years now iirc, and my boy is a little over a year.

I still say put more wire on that kid...

Gave him some chocolate ice cream around 10pm the other night, he was definitely wired. Bad decision when I have to wake up at 6:30. haha.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No sugar after 8 here!

She does....

And I go get "bonsai time"

I don't....

And I get "bonsai time"!

Sorce

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for all the kind words, I definitely owe a lot of credit to this site, the people here, and the people that haven't been back for a while. @milehigh_7 Not sure if you remember sending 3 JBP seedlings to FL around 4 years ago, but they've been in the ground for 2 years now, thanks! I don't frequent bnut nearly as often as I used to (the boy in the photo, #2 on the way, 2 jobs, the list goes on).

I'm trying to push him and teaching him early about as much as possible. I've never loved anything like I do him, it's an amazing feeling. I can't wait to meet him younger siblings. Sounds like yours are well on their way!

The top is going to become more delicate. I just need to look at it more. It will something along these lines: reducing back the branch that has a red line through it, and slightly reducing the green line branch, and/or more wire. When I do this I think I'm going to need to pull down a lot of the back with wire. Maybe in summer, but I'm also keeping an eye on the chop healing a little better too, I want to make sure I don't compromise that. [insert "but it's an elm" here]

View attachment 137929

You don't like the side branches? Oh man, I think they're going to make this tree better than without come ~2 more years. I agree they should look better, but for me it's more "gnarly" than delicate. Can a branch be gnarly and delicate? Maybe. With some more backbudding and ramification I'm hoping to achieve that.

Backside for depth, most definitely. I typically favor the backside.

Thanks! The tree has been in training for just about 4 years now iirc, and my boy is a little over a year.

Gave him some chocolate ice cream around 10pm the other night, he was definitely wired. Bad decision when I have to wake up at 6:30. haha.
Clearly, I wasn't paying attention... it was two years in development when you made this thread, two years ago! LOL

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Thanks for all the kind words, I definitely owe a lot of credit to this site, the people here, and the people that haven't been back for a while. @milehigh_7 Not sure if you remember sending 3 JBP seedlings to FL around 4 years ago, but they've been in the ground for 2 years now, thanks!

Shoot me some pics some time it's always good to see how the little ones do after you send them to the new homes.

My oldest turned 24 on Wednesday and my baby is 19. Best thing ever is when they get to the age that you can go to sleep and they have to worry about their own schedule. LOL! They want to stay up all night? No problem for me I can sleep through anything. I remember the first time my wife and I left them alone and went out of town. I told them, "I don't care what you do, but if your mom can tell you did something here you shouldn't have, you're dead." That seemed to work. :) I love every age of fatherhood. It's the best. I just wished one of them loved bonsai, I could use the help. LOL

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Will do mile!

Took a pic after watering yesterday. I rubbed off some buds that were in undesirable areas. This is probably my favorite time of the year; watching trees burst open with a brand new flush of leaves.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    162.6 KB · Views: 94

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It has burst open pretty well, besides the back which is waking up a little later than the front.

Attachments

• IMG_4102.JPG
    IMG_4102.JPG
    361.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4103.JPG
    IMG_4103.JPG
    337.8 KB · Views: 73

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Happy Spring! I've been itching to repot some trees. I spent a lot of my free time recently sifting a lot of soil. Now that it's as organized as it's ever been it's time to get to work.

Here's the update for this tree, I decided to keep the same pot as I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for as far as color and price... Next year I'd like to get it into a slightly larger rectangle.

I did all the work on this tree yesterday, first time wiring in months, so I feel rusty, but a lot of fun nonetheless. I bit the bullet and bent a lot of branches down, after looking at the tree more today (after I took these photos) I have decided to bring the right branch down some more... I'm waiting a week or two to start pumping it with fertilizer.

Attachments

• IMG_6142.JPG
    IMG_6142.JPG
    242.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6141.JPG
    IMG_6141.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6140.JPG
    IMG_6140.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 41

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice tree!
Would like to see it in its green garment!
... ... Next year I'd like to get it into a slightly larger rectangle... ...
Why larger?
Current pot is already large, in my opinion.

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Nice tree!
Would like to see it in its green garment!Why larger?
Current pot is already large, in my opinion.

Thanks ? I’m looking forward to seeing some leaves too. There’s a couple buds swelled up ready to burst.

If larger it’d be next spring. But you’re probably right, the tree can grow into this pot more. I have a tendency to overpot. 1) I have a limited amount of pots. 2) nearly all of them are training pots, so mostly deeper, and oversized. 3) I get paranoid about summer heat, I prefer to err on side of caution so I don’t dry out roots.

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Good work!
How's the Bald Cypress?

Thanks.
The BC is more of a challenge for me, probably my next tree to work on. I find it grows out of control and gets away from me in the summer. Good problem to have but I need to take advantage of all that growth better.

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I did just purchase this tokoname from Japan. I’m slowly acquiring some nicer pots ?.

Attachments

• CAA71AE7-5AB6-4DCE-BD35-12946F83B679.png
    CAA71AE7-5AB6-4DCE-BD35-12946F83B679.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 67320A21-33D8-417D-80F5-72A36815DAA0.png
    67320A21-33D8-417D-80F5-72A36815DAA0.png
    67.6 KB · Views: 18
Top Bottom