$20,000 of trees stolen from The Bonsai Guy in Springfield, MO

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So Chris shared some tree photos, but unfortunately, he doesn't have photos of all the trees he lost.

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
The really sad thing is that whoever stole them probably doesn't know the first thing about how to care for them. If his intent was to sell them, the story of the theft may make that difficult. And then they will probably just die. I don't think most people not involved in the hobby, understand there is so much more attached to our trees than just their monetary value. That's why his loss is especially sad.

PattyB

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The really sad thing is that whoever stole them probably doesn't know the first thing about how to care for them. If his intent was to sell them, the story of the theft may make that difficult. And then they will probably just die. I don't think most people not involved in the hobby, understand there is so much more attached to our trees than just their monetary value. That's why his loss is especially sad.

PattyB

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Not sure what happened to my post.

This is a sad thing to see in Springfield as this is my hometown. I’ve not lived there since 85 though we visit family every couple of years. Springfield was once a small, quaint town, great place to raise a family. Today the crime is unbelievable for a town of this size and it is sad to see the horrible reputation that Springfield has. I believe it topped a list possibly last year for the worst small town to live in.

I agree with Carol, these trees may not live and that is really sad. I feel sorry for Chris. With the frequency of the thefts it would suggest to me anyway that the same person is helping themselves. I hope to hell they catch him/them and save the trees. Feeling disgusted

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Mind blowing he had theft 3 times in 2 1/2 weeks.

July 21st his truck
July 24th a few trees
August 8th mother load.

Had to be the same hoodlums. Shocking to have made three trips.

Regardless, what an awful feeling that would be. To have trees that you've spent years and years working on, just taken away. No way to replace them or get that time back. Truly priceless stuff. I can't imagine.

It's gotta be an inside job, or someone who knows him. I don't think they would have been stolen with the intent to re-sell, either. Petty theft/burglary is usually done out of desperation--need cash fast to settle a debt or buy drugs, so you steal something that's easy to get cash fast for. And more organized burglars would target higher priced easily fenced stuff. Probably a jealous hobbyist/collector. Sad to see :(

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think we should hide threads like these.

We may think it's a good idea.....

But we will never catch anyone of we are blabbing things all over the internet.

You can't shoot at what you can't find.

Sorce

Reactions: SU2

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score

Sorce
Then again, the more people that obviously know, the fewer people you have to sell to and the more of a deterrent it becomes for the initial theft.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Sorce
Hm.. On the other hand.. The theft of trees from Washington botanical gardens last year create a media stink, and the trees were returned. One never knows..

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Sorce

Bonsai is a small community, might be good to have people know so they can keep an eye out

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Then again, the more people that obviously know, the fewer people you have to sell to and the more of a deterrent it becomes for the initial theft.

The power of Methamphetamine is greater than any deterrent.

Hm.. On the other hand.. The theft of trees from Washington botanical gardens last year create a media stink, and the trees were returned. One never knows..

True...but....

Bonsai is a small community, might be good to have people know so they can keep an eye out

Having members of the community know doesn't have to be so public that the Meth heads know too.

There is no deterrent like a public execution!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Regardless, what an awful feeling that would be. To have trees that you've spent years and years working on, just taken away. No way to replace them or get that time back. Truly priceless stuff. I can't imagine.

It's gotta be an inside job, or someone who knows him. I don't think they would have been stolen with the intent to re-sell, either. Petty theft/burglary is usually done out of desperation--need cash fast to settle a debt or buy drugs, so you steal something that's easy to get cash fast for. And more organized burglars would target higher priced easily fenced stuff. Probably a jealous hobbyist/collector. Sad to see :(
Three trips...was making a statement. I agree I feel its someone who knows him who wants him to be miserable.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Motive is hard to nail down with bonsai theft. Some idiots see a quick source of cash. Some see something exotic they can brag to their friends about, etc. I sincerely doubt this is someone out to make the guy miserable. It's more likely a group of methheads who stumbled on what they saw as an opportunity that was not secure. Stole the truck, saw the trees (or even went inside the place as a "customer" to look around--see through chain link fence allowed easy access. No security cameras.

Also, honestly, I'm sure the guy loved the trees and worked on them but from the pics, they could blend in with other generic, commercial market bonsai being sold in any number of other places

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Motive is hard to nail down with bonsai theft. Some idiots see a quick source of cash. Some see something exotic they can brag to their friends about, etc. I sincerely doubt this is someone out to make the guy miserable. It's more likely a group of methheads who stumbled on what they saw as an opportunity that was not secure. Stole the truck, saw the trees (or even went inside the place as a "customer" to look around--see through chain link fence allowed easy access. No security cameras.

Also, honestly, I'm sure the guy loved the trees and worked on them but from the pics, they could blend in with other generic, commercial market bonsai being sold in any number of other places

You could be right. Hard to say, I'm very thankful that I've never been in such a desperate position so I don't know what the mindset would be like. Just thinking it's an odd thing to target for a planned heist.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Methheads...that is a possibility. I just can't imagine being stolen from three times. Once is to many.

Top Bottom