20 Degree Temps Tonight

NCBonsai

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Just figured I'd pass the info along to everyone on the east coast. Especially since I know I just repotted all my trees within the past few days.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yep. Pain in the butt. Have only repotted a single tree so far. The rest (thank God) are still mostly dormant-ish. A year ago, it was in the mid-80's...Everything had been out for a couple of weeks.

Snow on Sunday...:eek:

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the Boston area, we will have snow. AGAIN!!!!!!

Joe Des

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Woke up to snow flurries this morning. Some plants pushing new growth are getting stuffy in the garage. Also, I want my garage back. Hmph. I guess it beats hail.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I love love love my cold greenhouse.....

I hope everything comes thru for everyone.

Dave Leppo

Yamadori
Reaction score
i JUST put the heat tape around my pots this morning. Unfortunately, the nighttime temp's have been down off and on around here; should have had the heat tape out there weeks ago.

Hopefully the daytime and nightime temps have been averaged out by the mass of substrate in the pots.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, my pots remain mulched and will remain so until after mid-April...I've learned over the years not to trust warm March weather and to keep things as cold as possible for as long as possible...

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What a difference a year makes. Last year at this time it was in the 70s and 80s here...everything was growing, I was in the middle of repotting and was already planting stock in the ground. The price was paid when we had devastating freezes in April...most of the stock plants I put in the ground had their new growth frozen off twice (but survived), and local fruit crops were basically wiped out. And fruit growing is a big part of the local economy.

This year, the ground is still frozen, and while I'm tired of the incessant cold, snow and wind (staying below freezing today), all the trees are still dormant. Of course, this means spring is going to come all at once and everything will need repotting at the same time.

Chris

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, I thought the bonsai two step was a thing of the past when I moved from MA to GA 4 years ago...and it was.........until this year. Buds started moving 4-6 weeks ago,and I had ALOT of trees needing re-potting this year, so away I went. Well, it was 25F this AM...been falling into the 20's at least once or twice a week now for 3 weeks...my back is killing me from moving the re-pots (all are mediem to large trees) including my two Rocky Mountain Junipers, which weigh about 60-70 pounds each and are in the 3' tall and wide range, under my deck, then back out again. We have a forcast for snow and sleet tonight, but lows only in the mid 30's...the trees are staying on th benches tonight;). This time last year, I was planting tomatoes out in the garden.....:(

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I love love love my cold greenhouse.....

I hope everything comes thru for everyone.

I feel like a coldhouse is almost a absolute must unless your only working with native and you mulch them in the ground in the winter. Cause of my cold house all my repottings done and a few trees have leafed out. Can't wait till I can move things out into the open when spring really arrives though. Hope the rest of you fare ok the next few weeks!

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
well there are worked trees, and trees that have been sitting in pots for the last 5 years. worked trees went in the maybe trees will stay with momma nature.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
is it just an unheated greenhouse?

Mine is a bit more than that. It has automated fans/venting for when the air inside gets warm, and sucks in cold outside air. It also has a heater for when the air temps get below where I set the thermostat, and that depends on what time of season it is. In the real winter, I let it get down to 28 or so. Now I have it set for 40, as I've done repots. Also I have heat mats set for 35 in the winter, and right now set for 65-75. Gives me extra growing season, and protection that I don't have to worry about in the winter. The roots never freeze, but the trees stay nice and dormant. Real cold tolerant trees don't even go in there, my larch and crabapple and spruce stay outside.
If you'd like more info, I have photos, and would be happy to expand on the subject...

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Right now 6:55 PM we are at 75F. Last a week ago Friday we had snow then last Friday it was 90F... grrrr

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Blah! It is 25f here atm and looks like things are on hold another 2 weeks. On the bright side the normal fruit orchard is having a normal Spring unlike last year when it all pushed to early and frooze for a week(almost no fruit and crappy quality).

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Sounds like good ole normal. I know winter kind of sucks for everyone but normal at least is a bit more predictable. Where's Al Gore when you need him.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Then stop acting like it is.

You don't like me, ditto, so just go away.

So is it more a normal winter transition or no? Is that not more predictable?

Is weather a relevant subject to bonsai?

WHen did they make you a moderator?

Now be a good boy and .......:D:D

Top Bottom