20 yr old Japanese Elm help

Little300z

Seed
Reaction score
We just got a 20 year old Japanese elm. I bought a three way soil meter but I’m not sure the numbers that I need on the moisture,light and pH. This this is kept indoors as temps are low right now. New growth everywhere than started to lose leaves. We are new to bonsai and need direction on how to take care of it. I know it needs to go outside what temperature is below freezing here. Also wanted to know when to trim it. We’ve researched and found one person that says trim it after the bark turns brown on the new sprouts. Is this correct?

Attachments

• E19DFFFC-4F0F-41F5-897F-2D438DAAE4E7.jpeg
    E19DFFFC-4F0F-41F5-897F-2D438DAAE4E7.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 84

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
fairlady Z owner?

cool tree.

someone will tell you to put your zone (USDA) in signature before anything else!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can trim these anytime when they're growing.
Spring into early fall.
And you will be if it makes it and gets healthy.
I don't know your zone but once it gets acclimated to being outside it should stay there all year long.
They can take temps down to 10 degrees below zero with no problem when winterized properly.
I used to have a few and they saw even lower temps but then we got down below 20 degrees below zero for a few weeks and they were done.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Would love to see the roots better, I love exposed roots.

Those meters do not register well in bonsai substrate. A chopstick tossed into the soil and left there. Use it like one would a wick. When damp...don't water.

It looks to need more light. Judging by the internode length on the new growth. (Space between the foliage.)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Brian did an amazing resource on the watering method I mentioned.

Top Bottom