200 Year Old.......

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg No Not a 200 year old accent.......but I didn't know which forum to post this.....not an accent but more of a natural figurine.
It's a 200 "plus" year old piece of Western Red Cedar " beach drift" on top of a thinly sliced Yellow Cedar (Alakan Cedar) birds eye burl. Considering using it a figurine when I display my large Mountain Hemlock/Limestone project. The three species are companion species in the Pacific Northwest moderate to higher elevation ecosystems.
The dime (c$ =0.07US$) shows just how narrow the annual growth rings are....looking at the left side the annual rings are narrower than the dime so I need a better magnifying glass to get a more accurate age......however this is just a piece of what was a very, very old tree probably was old when the america's were explored.
G.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have great memories hiking and rummaging through drift wood covered beaches on Vancouver Island. Those places are like free tree museums! Thanks for sharing!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
however this is just a piece of what was a very, very old tree probably was old when the america's were explored.

Way cool! I have been collecting 200 + year old wood(s) for a couple of years now for shelves outdoors. Just acquired some Ash stock complete with the borer holes that killed it for a unique potting bench. Thanks for sharing!

Grimmy

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't use a wooden stand for this, especially such a lively piece of bird's eye burl. The burl is distracting and overwhelms the driftwood's weathered subtlety. . A flat stone, like an old slate shingle, would work much better as a stand.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Stump art. Or if it's in a gallery, objet trouve (found object) sniff.

Top Bottom