2007 Carolina Bonsai Expo

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Cray13,
From your picture link, these two are mine:
IMG_2760.JPG - Chinsan Azalea posted on BonsaiNut once before. Stand is not mine, Accent plant was for the table rather than for the tree. The Bonsai Society of the Carolinas display was meant to be a "backyard bonsai display" so the accents and the trees didn't really relate to each other as they normally would in a formal display
IMG_2758.JPG - Kishu Shimpaku on a field stone from my parents front wall in CT.

I was not there for Brussel's critic of these two trees, but understand he said that they looked like they were grown in the shade, which they are, and he would like to see more foliage on both, as would I.

Regards,
Martin

cray13

Sapling
Reaction score
Great trees.

Martin,

I hope I will someday have material good enough to show at the expo. Congrats on these two.

The Chinsan Azalea has incredible taper and branch structure. If I showed this image to someone and told them the tree was only about 6 inches tall they wouldn't believe me.

I also really liked the rock planting for the Kishu. Great work.

I have attended the last two open houses at BLC. I was speaking with Chris from BLC (with the accent irish??) and we were actually discussing the Chinsan and he pointed you out to me. Maybe I'll get a chance to say hi at the next BLC open house.

I apologize for the poor images... your trees deserved better.

Thanks for the info on the winners. The Seiju Elm Grove was my favorite as well.

cubbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
Martin,
"number 55" (picture img2760) is yours???? THAT'S THE ONE I VOTED FOR IN THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD!!! I love it. miniature perfection. what is your secret to getting such a great shape (taper, ramification) in such a small tree???? I kept going back to look at it over and over. my favorite of the show

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Cubbie,
Thanks for the vote. I heard from a few folks that they liked the tree. I am glad that others enjoyed it.
Unfortunately, I have no secret. I have been working on it for about 8 years now. That azalea is a combination of a few things. It was good material to start with. The roots were there when it came out of the 1gl pot it was growing in. I removed some problem roots early on, in fact you can still see some of the cut marks on the left side of the root base. The tree was never allowed to have rampant growth, as I wanted to keep it small from the beginning. However, after pruning for trunk line, the tree was allowed to grow enough, before it was pruned again, to add thickness and taper. This was done at least twice. I don't remember, I didn't think anyone would ever ask! The controlled growth and heavy prunings of a healthy plant that buds from old wood allowed for ample branches to choose from for developing the canopy. After the trunk line was established, and taper was good, about 3 years ago, I began removing all the flowers as the flowering peaked. I tried to allow only 2 branches at the whorls when the plant pushed new growth after post flowering pruning. I kept more foliage at the top and weaker areas and less at the base and stronger areas.
So, I guess the secret is appropriate technique repeated over time, patience, and a little luck thrown in.
Did you enjoy the trip to Asheville?
Regards,
Martin

Last edited:

cubbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
thanks for the info. I have long thought of trying my hand at mame, but worried about the "fragility" of the trees. guess i will have to invest in some sort of watering system.

Yes, I really enjoyed the trip to Asheville. I had lived there for a short while several years ago, so had no interest in the town again. I do love the Arboretum, I have spent numerous hours walking the trails with my dog (even had a bear encounter!). The bonsai exhibit was in it's infancy when i was there. What a surprise!! The resident exhibit is incredible. The expo was beautifully done. Hotel rooms were a bit pricey, but what the heck.....

Thanks for all your info about tree 55. I am not kidding, I really fell for that one, voted for it too. Rethinking a couple of shohins i have, they may be facing amputation soon.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Cubbie,
This is the tree I voted for Best in Show. It is not the best picture. Susquehana(sp?) Bonsai displayed it. I think it might be a Jim Doyle tree. I have tried Euonymous in the past, not well nor intensely, and failed, so I really take my hat off to the success this artist had with this tree.

Regards,
Martin

Attachments

• SBS Spindle Tree.JPG
    SBS Spindle Tree.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 22
Top Bottom