2008 Michigan All-State Bonsai Show

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello Everyone! I just wanted to make sure everyone knows about the upcoming 10th Annual Michigan All-State Bonsai Show that will be held @ Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park in Grand Rapids, MI on Saturday, May 3 & Sunday, May 4, 2008. We have 6 workshops scheduled throughout the weekend led by presenters such as Julian Adams (Adams' Bonsai, NBF Member, ABS Board Member), Ivan Watters (Curator of Bonsai, Chicago Botanic Gardens), Will Heath (Bonsai Dojo, Art of Bonsai, Knowledge of Bonsai), & more! We also have free demonstrations scheduled throughout the weekend presented by Vance Wood, Will Heath, Eric Newton, & more! Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park is open from 9 am - 5 pm on Saturday, May 3 & from 12 pm - 5 pm on Sunday, May 4. The vending & demonstration areas are open these same times. The bonsai & suiseki display area will be open from 12 pm - 5 pm both days (to enable us to have Saturday am delivery of trees). We have expanded & revised our vending area & are pleased to have these vendors scheduled to attend: Adams' Bonsai (Lynchburg, VA), All Things Bonsai (Grand Rapids, MI), CS Bonsai (Muskegon, MI), Growco Garden Supply (Grand Rapids, MI), Heritage Laurels (West Olive, MI), Kaedo Misho LLC (East Leroy, MI), Wildwood Gardens (Chardon, OH), Bonsai Dojo/Art of Bonsai (MI), Basically Bonsai (Greenville, MI).
All exhibitors of bonsai & suiseki are encouraged to exhibit their artworks; no club affiliation is required. All levels of bonsai artists are welcome. We're accepting trees & stones on Friday, May 2 from 4 - 8 pm; vendors will be setting up during this time also. We also will be accepting trees & stones on Saturday, May 3, 2008 from 8:30 - 10:30 am; AFTER 10:30, the exhibit will be "set" by Steve LeWarre of Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park. In 2007, we exhibited 94 trees & we hope to exceed that number in 2008 (it IS our 10th anniversary show).
Workshop sizes are limited & the show brochure is now available to provide more details along with the enrollment form. Please contact Anita Buckowing via e-mail @ mrbuckowing@yahoo.com if you would like to receive a .pdf copy.
Please also visit www.meijergardens.org for information on the workshops (and you can sign up for workshops online @ that site also!).
Whether you exhibit, attend a workshop, or just visit (maybe to shop?), we look forward to seeing everyone @ the 10th Annual Michigan All-State Bonsai Show!
Thank you,
Anita Buckowing
2008 Show Chair for
Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park Presents the 10th Annual Michigan All-State Bonsai Show

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice seeing you here Anita and I hope to see you posting in the future as well.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A reason why I miss living in the MidWest. Personally I think bonsai exhibitions are one of the best ways to continue to develop and support the art here in the U.S. I used to spend a fair amount of time with Ivan Waters back when he had his nursery closer in towards Chicago. Good luck with the show!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bnut,

I plan on visiting Ivan Waters this weekend, if all goes according to plan. I can't believe I have not met him before, the last time I was at the Chicago Botanic Gardens, he wasn't there. I'll pass along a howdy.

Will

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
I see that 2 nuts, Will and Vance were doing demos during the show.....

How did it go guys? Any photos of the material you guys had to work with?

Jason

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Jason,

This show will be in May of this year. ;)

However, both Vance and myself have been invited to past All State Shows, some of the pictures can be seen on my blog.

I'll be sure to update this thread once the show has past.

Will

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
I guess I should read things a bit better, I thought it said March..... oh well, have fun! haha

Reaction score
USDA Zone
If any of the members here are attending the All State Show, look me up!

Will

Top Bottom