2009 in review

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Bravo Rick!!!
Your trees have really done well under your program!!

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Irene but they still have a long ways to go.

Come spring I will update that page as the trees are much fuller as we speak. I will be documenting a little more closely the lilac this year. e.g spring hard prune, before pruning first flush and after pruning first flush. Unfortunately the "bibites" (can't seem to catch the buggers) love lilac leaves and by the end of summer the leaves are rather ratty.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your trees are coming along nicely, Rick, and the format and photography really give an organized, user friendly approach to viewing your collection's progress. Well done!

Will

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you Will but I can't take credit for that.

I needed a place where I could chart and see the progress of my trees over the years in an organized manner and started to develop a web page. That format proved to be more work, didn't meet my needs and, I didn't like the way things were flowing, not to mention restrictive. So I went back to good old pencil and paper and sketched out what I was trying to do.

I never blogged before that. When I switched over to Linux in September of 2007, a blogger application was included with the package. It was OK, but I didn't really care for the format. It was around that time that Walter posted a few tools he was using to showcase his work (picassa, highslide etc...) and was blogging on Google Blogspot a free hosted site. Edit: Walter has a paid account that permits him greater flexibility. Since my package pretty much covers what I am trying to achieve, I never upgraded it. Maybe some day.

In the developmental phases I soon found out that things could become cluttered in a hurry, once again something I did not want. How do I contain all the information stored in a user friendly, easily retrievable uncluttered manner? Develop a page for every sub-component of the main blog. The rest is history...

Last edited:
Top Bottom