200lb Buttonwood

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will you style it towards a "raft"?
Different trees on that DW hill?

I love the difference of size of the first three trunks so much, I might consider using them alone.

But the further away Pair....ish....of trunks is so acceptable.....

Don't kill it!

Sorce

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
There is certainly a lot of options with this tee. I always try to use what the tree gives me, and I feel as though I will be able to style it as somewhat of a cohesive canopy between the three sets.

The far left being my least favorite and most difficult, however as a cohesive unit it fills in the area nicely.

Will you style it towards a "raft"?
Different trees on that DW hill?

Sorce

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally could not live with straight trunk section. Base and first 4 trunks interesting;).

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I like the whole thing. It’s a fallen tree, the base says that much so if you get rid of everything left of those trunks then the illusion is gone. I don’t think usual bonsai rules apply with pieces like this.

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I like the whole thing. It’s a fallen tree, the base says that much so if you get rid of everything left of those trunks then the illusion is gone. I don’t think usual bonsai rules apply with pieces like this.

Concur with this.

Chopping that section would leave a really cool tree, and destroy most of the story of this tree. I'm just not going to do that. I prefer to wrap my styling around the story the tree is already trying to tell.

Either that or I go full literati.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Agreed, good summary. The visual on this clearly reads fallen, half dead, recovered. That's the heart of this trees character. I don't normally like long and straight but it's at the core of this trees' image and works for that reason.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the only way to not lose viewers to the next tree on display, is to have this in a pot/slab with enough extending out under the entire Jin length.
So the eyes move from the end of the Jin, down to a red accent patch of moss, and back right and up the trunk again.

Otherwise it's just pointing the viewer to the next tree.

This seems a harder piece of material to ponder without pondering into what doesn't yet exist.

Sorce

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I think the only way to not lose viewers to the next tree on display, is to have this in a pot/slab with enough extending out under the entire Jin length.
So the eyes move from the end of the Jin, down to a red accent patch of moss, and back right and up the trunk again.

This seems a harder piece of material to ponder without pondering into what doesn't yet exist.

Sorce
I get that, it’s an interesting thought. When I see this tree I get the image of a fallen giant spanning the gap of a tropical ravine. I’d like some overhang if it were mine, to give a little instability to the piece. The canopy will hold people in sway.

Either that or I go full literati.
Where is this literati of which you speak?

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I get that, it’s an interesting thought. When I see this tree I get the image of a fallen giant spanning the gap of a tropical ravine. I’d like some overhang if it were mine, to give a little instability to the piece. The canopy will hold people in sway.

Where is this literati of which you speak?

You mean with this tree? Or generally. I have some pretty unusual stylings if you look through my post history.

Im not doing so with this tree, was just speaking on my general style.

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

Sorce

Agreed. I have a few trees that I've styled where this is the case already, going to need to find somebody to build me some custom slabs in the area in the next few years.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Few years is enough time to make that person you!

Sorce

Top Bottom