2015 Box Store Challenge Overview

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks!

Yes I loved the fact that my daughter found it.
It's even cooler when you know that I have to argue with her frequently because she kinds of belong to the 'you are so torturing the trees you, bonsai maniacs' school.
So I really appreciate the twist that she was sort of the executioner on this one ;)

How old is your daughter? My younger son...has his thoughts as well on my bonsai. (Especially the pre`bonsai that look like nothing at the moment) He tells everyone...his mom is turning into a monk. lol

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I hear ya...I had tunnel vision...then, decided since I couldn't find material...to go with one on my want list. Then was so excited I worked it as soon as I got home. (Face palm) Love my little tree.

Btw: I didn't see your entry, you didn't participate to the challenge?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Btw: I didn't see your entry, you didn't participate to the challenge?

No...I was so excited to have gotten out of the house...(Was in the house 6 weeks down sick) To have working material...and one that had been on my want list. I worked it as soon as I got home. Instead of getting it approved prior to working it. Which disqualified myself.
Here's a thread on my tree though. Still enjoyed doing it...much so since I had been restricted in what I was able to do while sick. So it was great therapy.
http://bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/pieris-japonica-katsura.19183/page-2

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
How old is your daughter? My younger son...has his thoughts as well on my bonsai. (Especially the pre`bonsai that look like nothing at the moment) He tells everyone...his mom is turning into a monk. lol

She's 16 and the real teenager deal! (boys are just plain basic stuff, I didn't know girls were so, let's say, interesting...) :)
She has her thoughts and a very big part of her mother's.
Regarding this 'let them grow' politics for bonsai they bought a ficus ginseng (yerk) at IKEA or something and let it be. Last week-end we were speaking via skype and she shows me the poor thing: it is now a big roots bulb with more than 5' suckers coming out of it... :)

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No...I was so excited to have gotten out of the house...(Was in the house 6 weeks down sick) To have working material...and one that had been on my want list. I worked it as soon as I got home. Instead of getting it approved prior to working it. Which disqualified myself.
Here's a thread on my tree though. Still enjoyed doing it...much so since I had been restricted in what I was able to do while sick. So it was great therapy.
http://bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/pieris-japonica-katsura.19183/page-2

Ok you made my day with this 'oops, forgot to enter the challenge first' story! :D

I love you tree though! Its nebari and bark are really great! :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ok you made my day with this 'oops, forgot to enter the challenge first' story! :D

I love you tree though! Its nebari and bark are really great! :)

Thanks...Yes, I can't believe I did that. I think it stemmed from knowing it was appropriate material. That I blundered...Got ahead of myself.

I was surprised at the nebari. It was hidden under the soil. I was a bit taken back when I seen the damage to the bark. I noticed the curves of the tree...But it was so full that the bark damage went unnoticed until I pruned it back. But it's healing itself quite nicely. :) Grimmy was the one who told me about the species exfoliates bark. So...some of the bark is from natural exfoliation which is an added bonus. The more I look at the tree...the more grateful for Vin for creating the challenge. It got me to the nursery and a tree on my want list crossed off. Even if I blundered and disqualified myself.

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If one competes in an 'instant bonsai challenge` one MUST find the very best material - you don't have the time. For this challenge here finding the material was 90 % of the problem. Only 10 % for the work. Most have failed by far in the 90 % and surprisingly most have failed in the 10 % work. Some have found good material but have cut most of the good parts down.

I cut down the quote for sake of space.

I appreciate your comments with regard to the contest. There is alot of truth in what you have expressed.

I sincerely hope that you dont feel as though youe participation was a wate of your time. While the material may not have been top-notch and most of us are very inexperienced, doing this challenge and having your comments was a good learning experience for many of us.

Last edited:

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If one really wants a great tree one should start with great material. If one wants a world class tree one should start with world class material. If you make compromises on the material you pay dearly in time. Sometimes it takes twenty to fifty years to get a good bonsai from poor material. Most of the time it never happens.

If one competes in an 'instant bonsai challenge` one MUST find the very best material - you don't have the time. For this challenge here finding the material was 90 % of the problem. Only 10 % for the work. Most have failed by far in the 90 % and surprisingly most have failed in the 10 % work. Some have found good material but have cut most of the good parts down.

Why this result? Because in general finding good material is no taught. It is THE critical skill in building a good collection. It is NOT wiring and such which is taught a lot. And then it apparently has not leaked through to most folks that on most trees one has to wire EVERYTHING. Some may have been under the impression that they do naturalistic styling and this means to let nature do what it wants and not interfere with too much wiring. Well, this is a deep misunderstanding - read my articles. Some may really think that they get away with being lazy. Well, bonsai is 95 % sweat and 5 % fun. If you really hate to wire you should reconsider your decision to do bonsai - or have someone wire for you. If you hate detailed tedious dirty work, you should find another hobby

Three lessons here:
1) the most important skill is to find good material.
2) do everything as far as possible right away to have a chance.
3) bonsai is a lot of work - he who does not do it does not really do bonsai
Sir, please tell me if you disagree. For those new to bonsai, it's very difficult to understand what great or world class material is. This is why it's so important to study and understand the art as part of our continuing education. I know I have much to learn but I'm working at it every day. We will not be creating world class bonsai as part of this challenge. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. However, for those that commit to the process, they will learn from the experience and that's what this challenge is all about.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sure, nobody is even trying to create5e 'world class' bonsai. I only said this to make clear the importance of choosing the best material. It always applies, on all levels. Whether you are a beginner of a world renown master, choosing the best possible material is the key to success. The problem is that this is not taught. They teach you to wire, to make standard bonsai. But they don't teach you to go to a nursery and find a good tree. I do that in my Bonsai Academy.

With our demonstration culture on conventions and in magazines people are lead to believe that you can make a good bonsai out of crap. The truth is that many artists try very hard to find very good material that looks like crap to present it and then look like a genius.

I repeat it: THE most important skill in bonsai is to find ways to get it and see good material when it is in front of you. Craft is important, but well overrated.

Last edited:

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sure, nobody is even trying to create5e 'world class' bonsai. I only said this to make clear the importance of choosing the best material. It always applies, on all levels. Whether you are a beginner of a world renown master, choosing the best possible material is the key to success. The problem is that this is not taught. They teach you to wire, to make standard bonsai. But they don't teach you to go to a nursery and find a good tree. I do that in my Bonsai Academy.

With our demonstration culture on conventions and in magazines people are lead to believe that you can make a good bonsai out of crap. The truth is that many artists try very hard to find very good material that looks like crap to present it and then look like a genius.

I repeat it: THE most important skill in bonsai is to find ways to get it and see good material when it is in front of you. Craft is important, but well overrated.
Oh no Sir, my comment was for the benefit of others in the challenge that may have had such expectations. I hope you don't think it was directed in any way toward you. I agree wholeheartedly about the importance of choosing the best material. However, as you state it's not something that is taught or even talked about much from my experience. From now on I'm going to focus more of my efforts and discussions toward what to look for in material.

I sure wish I could attend your Bonsai Academy. Maybe when I retire in a few years and can travel more. I assume it's in Germany.

Your insight is always appreciated.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
O
I sure wish I could attend your Bonsai Academy. Maybe when I retire in a few years and can travel more. I assume it's in Germany.

Vin,

it is in Germany, but the major part happens at Nature's Way Nursery in Harrsisburg, Pa in Spring, October and December every year. On October 6, 2015 it will also be in Chjcago are.

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
Hmmmm, you got me thinking..
Hmmm...got me thinking too...lol. Maybe I'll try to bring my tree haha! All kidding aside...thanks again Vin for all your hard work and your kind words about my tree;). Also, a hearty congrats to all who entered and again to Mr. Pall, thank you! I look forward to more of your critiques:)
I agree 100% with Walter here...it's all about the material and then...it's simply a LOT of work! But, I like to work...so it's working for me. I'm all in!
I chose this tree for two reasons: I liked the trunk and it appeared as though it was just about ready to bloom. Well...it bloomed about a week AFTER my final photo. It looked pretty amazing in bloom...I've got some ideas for next year lol.
These are naturally weeping trees and there are a number of them in my neighborhood...so I'm fairly familiar with how they look. I'm excited to see where I might be able to direct this tree in the next year and a half. They are slow growers, though, I must say...Vin, yours exploded with growth! What are you feeding it?

Reactions: Vin
Top Bottom