2015 BSC (Box Store Challenge) Update Thread

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
First, I’d like to say a few words in response to Mr. Pall’s comments on the Overview Thread. I would never speak for him or anyone else for that matter but there are a few statements from his blog that should be understood as the challenge moves forward. I have only included relevant statements that apply to our challenge. However, here is the link if you wish to read it in full: http://walterpallbonsaiarticles.blogspot.com/

Tree critique (which I call Tree Inspiration)

I analyze the tree as I see it and give constructive
criticism. I say what I would do if it were my tree.

It must be understood that to be of value a tree critique
is not an exercise in diplomacy. It is not about being
nice to trees or people. It is about analyzing trees and
giving workable advice. Sometimes people misunderstand
this. It is more about what the artist thinks and not so
much about what the student thinks.

Here Mr. Pall talks about workshops but I see his principles applying to out challenge as well:​

It must be stressed that my way of running workshops
is different from what is often done: I make it clear
what options are on each tree but I try to never touch it.
The students work and I watch them - not the other way
around. I only help when really necessary and when asked,
but I will not style somebody’s tree in a workshop. It must
be clear that I am trying not to be a bonsai fundamentalist.
While it is made clear what I would do personally, every
student can do what they want to do in my workshops.

I think this concept can dramatically change the mainstream
demonstrations and regular workshops. I have the strong
feeling that something must be done here. The public obviously
does not accept the old-fashioned way as it used to anymore.

-Walter Pall
Please remember there are only two rules to follow on this leg of the challenge.

Rule #1: Participants can seek advice at workshops, from this forum (or other forums), other enthusiasts, a Bonsai Master or wherever and whomever they wish. The only stipulation is the work must be accomplished or assisted by the participant. In other words, you cannot just turn your tree over to someone for them to do the work.

Rule #2: Since this is a Bonsai Nut Challenge, participants must post updates at a minimum of every 90 days on the forum.

If the rules are not followed you will be disqualified. Also, please try to keep the updates on this thread on the short side. A couple photos and a brief explanation of what has been done or changed, etc. is all that’s needed. I encourage you to create your own thread to get advice and opinions on your tree. To start things off here’s my tree with the entry photo, the final submission photo and what it looks like now (just shy of 60 days later). Quite frankly, It's pretty damn ugly! Good luck to all those that take part in this part of the challenge.

Callistemon1.JPG Callistemon.JPG DSCF0244.JPG DSCF0247.JPG

Last edited:

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow, you got some drastic hair dressing to do your tree looks like it just came back from Woodstock! ;)

Ok so this is my tree, entry submission, final submission, a week ago when it was in blossom and today.
Look who's speaking, seems like I have some hair-cutting to do also :)
Btw: with the flower is somebody able to tell me what kind of azalea species it is?

azalea-2.JPG Front.JPG DSC03113.JPG May-20-2015-2.JPG

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Alain, is that a double trunk? or two plants?

It seems to me that these are 2 twin trees facing each other.
I don't think the trunks join deeper in the soil to become a unique one (I tried to check when I remove a bite of the roots and pot it in its cut off pot but as it's an azalea the root ball is really dense and it was impossible to see).
So technically 2 plants.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is my mine 5/31/15.

Repotted and back budding all over the place. I haven't consulted with anyone yet. Just letting it grow for now.

June 2015_small.jpg

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Bad pic but here is mine. Pyracantha hate messing with their roots so it is in the pot it will be in next year. Nothing done accept potting and pinching off half of the berries.contest pyracantha.jpg

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
All I have done is let mine grow... I knew it would revert to bush form pretty fast, didn't think it would be quite this quick! About to go fertilize and if I get the time might get some wire on it and prune the branch stubs that didn't grow, remove some stuff I don't need...
DSC01447.JPG DSC01448.JPG DSC01446.JPG

I am well aware my tree was not an "instant bonsai" (though I never thought that was really the challenge, was it Vin?) but I think these pics better show the direction I am going, and what this tree can become.. Of all the Azaleas I chopped back this year, this one was... middle of the pack I think, but it was the only one that met all the rules for the challenge. Oughta have another update soon if I can get a restyle done.. Probably won't repot until next year..

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am well aware my tree was not an "instant bonsai" (though I never thought that was really the challenge, was it Vin?)
You are absolutely correct but hopefully by next September many will be much closer. :) This is going to look really nice next year. Thanks for the update. I like it!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
You are absolutely correct but hopefully by next September many will be much closer. :) This is going to look really nice next year. Thanks for the update. I like it!
Thanks Vin! I think it will look pretty good by next year too... We are sure gonna find out! I did get a little work done to it, but didn't take any pics yet...

Reactions: Vin

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So here is an update on the ilex I used for the challenge. I repotted it right after my submission. Its filled in a lot since and ive removed one of the lower branches. Ill post the pictures kind of as a progression. the lastpic Is how it looks today. Thanks for looking.Screenshot_2015-06-14-15-12-45.png Screenshot_2015-06-14-15-12-07.png Screenshot_2015-06-14-15-10-41.png Screenshot_2015-06-14-15-10-08.png Screenshot_2015-06-14-15-09-50.png

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
So here is an update on the ilex I used for the challenge. I repotted it right after my submission. Its filled in a lot since and ive removed one of the lower branches. Ill post the pictures kind of as a progression. the lastpic Is how it looks today. Thanks for looking.View attachment 76090 View attachment 76091 View attachment 76092 View attachment 76094 View attachment 76095
Looks great! You did a few good things to improve it already- removed that little tuft at the top, removed the bar branch on the bottom... It is filling in nicely! Great job!

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks great! You did a few good things to improve it already- removed that little tuft at the top, removed the bar branch on the bottom... It is filling in nicely! Great job!
Preciate It! I left the tuft at the top for certain reasons and was definitely happy about being able to finally cut it off!! That bar branch was just killin me so I took the risk of less is more. Im really pleased with how it turned out. I think by the time this challengeis over itll be pretty nice. Ill get it into a nice pot next spring. Thank you for the kind words.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Preciate It! I left the tuft at the top for certain reasons and was definitely happy about being able to finally cut it off!! That bar branch was just killin me so I took the risk of less is more. Im really pleased with how it turned out. I think by the time this challengeis over itll be pretty nice. Ill get it into a nice pot next spring. Thank you for the kind words.
I agree with Eric, you've moved it along nicely. One thing to consider; you really need to address the bar branches soon (second set of branches from the bottom). I would get some advice soon so it will have time to regroup by next September. Thanks!

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Some things happened to my tree since the challenge... :)

1) a pruning on May 21st (my first 'maintenance' pruning, all pruning I did before were 'structural' ones, be nice with me)
2) a wiring when I finally get the right wire's gauges (May 31th)
3) a bunch of bad budding but those the tree did them alone :) (picture taken yesterday)

Here are the photos! :D

A question: should I prune it again?
1st pruning-May21-2015.JPG Wiring-May31-2015-2.JPG bad bud june-27-2015.JPG

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A question: should I prune it again?

It's coming along nicely! The foliage needs to be tighter to the trunk in my opinion but you probably know that. I'm not sure about pruning azaleas in Illinois but down here I prune mine through September. I'm sure that's not advisable where you live but I would think it would be okay to prune this time of year. Maybe someone will chime in that is in your zone.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's coming along nicely! The foliage needs to be tighter to the trunk in my opinion but you probably know that. I'm not sure about pruning azaleas in Illinois but down here I prune mine through September. I'm sure that's not advisable where you live but I would think it would be okay to prune this time of year. Maybe someone will chime in that is in your zone.
I agree with you Vin that the foliage needs to be in closer to the trunk... But with raffia wrapped around the bases of the branches, that won't happen.

Whether to prune or not is your choice, but when growing one back you, you can "hedge" it off a couple times during the growing season. I recommend removing that raffia. Azalea branches are brittle and hard to bend at that size, and they have thin bark so I understand why you put it on there but if you want any buds to pop in closer to the trunk, they will not be able to grow through that layer of raffia. It's up to you of course!

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks guys!

Sure I would like the foliage to be closer to the trunk but then you mean a much more drastic pruning, cutting in the already harden part of the branches? A little bit like on this picture? (I took the picture of the 1st pruning because it's easier to see and I suck with paint, but you got the idea).
That's it?

Also Eric Group: if I remove the raffia you mean that I re-wire then? Because I would like the big branches holding this downward position and I'm not sure they are stabilized there yet. Also as you say the bark is very fragile, if I wire without raffia won't it damage the bark?
Finally I'm not sure I want buds on those parts of the tree... Dense pads of foliage to form a canopy yes but with bud-less parts on those big branches was my idea...
pruning.JPG

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Sure I would like the foliage to be closer to the trunk but then you mean a much more drastic pruning, cutting in the already harden part of the branches? A little bit like on this picture? (I took the picture of the 1st pruning because it's easier to see and I suck with paint, but you got the idea).
That's it?

Also Eric Group: if I remove the raffia you mean that I re-wire then? Because I would like the big branches holding this downward position and I'm not sure they are stabilized there yet. Also as you say the bark is very fragile, if I wire without raffia won't it damage the bark?
Finally I'm not sure I want buds on those parts of the tree... Dense pads of foliage to form a canopy yes but with bud-less parts on those big branches was my idea...
View attachment 77049
Yes, you would have to cut back further... To get those tight, dense foliage pads you want.. How you gonna do that without back budding?

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, you would have to cut back further... To get those tight, dense foliage pads you want.. How you gonna do that without back budding?

I will back bud (well at least I hope my azalea will) but not as low on the branch as where the raffia is, no?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Cut it back again to start ramification, shortened the side branch, wired a bit, slip potted to an "air pot".. One of those cloth pots that root prunes the edges- hope I can give it a proper job next year. I have not done any major root work yet.

DSC01804.JPG DSC01808.JPG

This is the side view, and my issue with the tree. I don't like that back branch. the size, the angle... The way it relates to the front of the tree, and the pics just make it even more obvious. Thinking of removing it. DSC01813.JPG

Top Bottom