2015 Carolina Bonsai Expo in Asheville NC

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Held every year at the NC arboretum. This year's special guest is the esteemed, world famous Mr Walter Paul!
He is doing a THREE HOUR demo on multiple subjects and the cost to attend the demo is only like $20!!

I looked before posting this and could not believe there was no thread about this one yet... I just wanted to go to the thread and post how excited I was that I have nailed down plans to attend for the third year in a row!!

This is a great show with vendors from all over the East Coast selling everything from soil components to pots to tools and MANY MANY trees you simply won't find anywhere else in this area of the country! Generally the trees displayed range in quality from "average/ good" to down right STUNNING, but you always see something different there! (I know of one display that will certainly be something cool you have never seen before in your life!) The trees on display from the Arboretum's collection are worth the trip and price of admission on their own. I get excited about this one because it is one of the only times I get to see an old friend who lives in the area, some of my buddies from here are vendors and presenters every year...

http://www.ncarboretum.org/plan-a-visit-or-event/events-and-plant-shows/carolina-bonsai-expo/

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The Atlanta Bonsai Society will have a display with some trees there. My JRP will be there but I won't...stupid job getting in the way this year. It's always a good time with great trees, some thought provoking displays, and good bonsai buying opportunities, not to mention being held a mere 15 minute drive from down town Asheville, which is one of the nicest small cities to explore in the SE...lots of great restaurants and microbrews, too!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The Atlanta Bonsai Society will have a display with some trees there. My JRP will be there but I won't...stupid job getting in the way this year. It's always a good time with great trees, some thought provoking displays, and good bonsai buying opportunities, not to mention being held a mere 15 minute drive from down town Asheville, which is one of the nicest small cities to explore in the SE...lots of great restaurants and microbrews, too!
I'll be there for set-up on Friday, and all day Sunday. I have other plans for Saturday.

Yes, Dave's JRP will be there. If it survives living at my house for a couple weeks! It just occurred to me that I will have have a hand on all three conifers the Atlanta Bonsai Society will include in the display.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Looking forward to my 20th straight visit to this event! It is certainly the go to event for those of us in the Southeast.

A couple new clubs will be joining us this year! I'm not sure if that will be 16 or 17 in total!

Due to various reasons, i will not be vending this year but my partner in crime, Ken Duncan will be and should have twice as many trees to choose from!

I will not be there until Sat. Morning but i hope that any nutters out there will say hello if you see me on Sat. Or Sun.

John

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'll be there for setup Friday; lovely daughter and granddaughter :p pushing my wheelchair. :oops: Probably not up to returning 'till time to take it down late on Sunday. Alas. Would like to hear Walter's critique and comments on the trees -- including mine -- but bummer, it's in the evening Saturday, well beyond my stamina limit these days. The Expo has been my absolute favoritest bonsai event over my many,many years in the sport.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
no way Dave!! going to miss seeing you!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Same here, John. I may try to come up after work Saturday and stay until Sunday but I suspect that's wishful thinking. If I don't make it, I'm sure you'll take lots of pictures...hopefully;)

Geo

Chumono
Reaction score
Todos Santos,Baja Sur Elev56M 23.46N 110.24W
USDA Zone
11+
Looking forward to the comments and coverage on BNut! I think I really like what is going on with the Arboretum and Arthur as well. It will be a whole different look at bonsai than we saw at the Oregon show VIVA "different strokes"!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Geo, our display will be rather traditional. I know Johng's club always makes a very striking display. They have more artistic talent than we have.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Always one of my favorite shows to see pictures of. Someday I'll have to see it in person. @jkl, are you showing any trees this year?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Held every year at the NC arboretum. This year's special guest is the esteemed, world famous Mr Walter Paul!
He is doing a THREE HOUR demo on multiple subjects and the cost to attend the demo is only like $20!!

I looked before posting this and could not believe there was no thread about this one yet... I just wanted to go to the thread and post how excited I was that I have nailed down plans to attend for the third year in a row!!

This is a great show with vendors from all over the East Coast selling everything from soil components to pots to tools and MANY MANY trees you simply won't find anywhere else in this area of the country! Generally the trees displayed range in quality from "average/ good" to down right STUNNING, but you always see something different there! (I know of one display that will certainly be something cool you have never seen before in your life!) The trees on display from the Arboretum's collection are worth the trip and price of admission on their own. I get excited about this one because it is one of the only times I get to see an old friend who lives in the area, some of my buddies from here are vendors and presenters every year...

http://www.ncarboretum.org/plan-a-visit-or-event/events-and-plant-shows/carolina-bonsai-expo/
Very cool! Maybe you can bring your Box Store Challenge tree and get some pointers from Mr. Pall ;) It is allowed by the way.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very cool! Maybe you can bring your Box Store Challenge tree and get some pointers from Mr. Pall ;) It is allowed by the way.
Ohhhh yeahhhh.... About that... It died! LOL

I got all "cute" with it and slip potted it into a different grow bag and it grew fine for two months or so then Just dropped dead. Once Azaleas fade on you, I have never had one come back. I can get a Maple or something like that to perk back up if it wilts and I figure out the problem, but Azaleas seem kinda wimpy by comparison... Oh well. I shouldn't have moved it when I did. One of 2-3 trees I killed this year (all were azaleas I think..) Not a terrible ratio out of the hundred or so trees and cuttings I repotted this year! :)

Besides I suspect WP will be a little busy... He has GOOD trees to look at, not junk like that little azalea was..

Top Bottom