2016 Carolina Bonsai Expo

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the photos Eric! I just arrived home from my 21st trip to the Carolina Bonsai Expo. It was a very good weekend! Especially for me:) Lots of friends, new and old! Great trees and displays that get better and better every year. I think the show benefitted from having the US Nationals so near as there were several high quality trees that made appearances.

I must confess that I was negligent with the camera this year...few photos and no video...time and opportunity just never intersected!

Adair's pine was in peak condition.

The detail work on Brian's juniper was superb!

Ed's juniper from the Triangle display was a sculptural work of art!

I really liked how the Alabama club used a painting(I think by one of their club members) to accent their display.. I was intrigued by the cultural spaghetti!

I have to "hand" it to Jim Doyle for rising to the occasion once again with a very thought provoking and nuanced display.

Our very own Jim Lewis, aka JKL, was honored with a new award in his memory for the finest native tree! We miss you Jim!!

It was very enjoyable to share a little space and time with Eli and his wife! The quality and artistry of his containers is certain to impact the bonsai world! I thank @hometeamrocker for
always sharing pics...but let me tell you, to hold his containers in your hand is the only way to truly appreciate their beauty!!

As with much of bonsai now, it seems as if the "influence" of bonsai professionals (especially some younger ones) is making a bigger and bigger impact on this show. Many of the trees had been prepared by professionals...The hand of Bjorn was clearly visible in several of my favorites! The work of others including, Owen, Ryan, Kathy, and Boon ( and I am sure others) were also discernible. Even Tyler Sherrod made an appearance on Sat...I am sure his impact will be felt in future shows. It all makes me wonder about the future of hobbyist level bonsai at the larger bonsai shows??

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for posting the photos Eric! I just arrived home from my 21st trip to the Carolina Bonsai Expo. It was a very good weekend! Especially for me:) Lots of friends, new and old! Great trees and displays that get better and better every year. I think the show benefitted from having the US Nationals so near as there were several high quality trees that made appearances.

I must confess that I was negligent with the camera this year...few photos and no video...time and opportunity just never intersected!

I really liked how the Alabama club used a painting(I think by one of their club members) to accent their display.. I was intrigued by the cultural spaghetti!

I have to "hand" it to Jim Doyle for rising to the occasion once again with a very thought provoking and nuanced display.

Our very own Jim Lewis, aka JKL, was honored with a new award in his memory for the finest native tree! We miss you Jim!!

It was very enjoyable to share a little space and time with Eli and his wife! The quality and artistry of his containers is certain to impact the bonsai world! I thank @hometeamrocker for
always sharing pics...but let me tell you, to hold his containers in your hand is the only way to truly appreciate their beauty!!

As with much of bonsai now, it seems as if the "influence" of bonsai professionals (especially some younger ones) is making a bigger and bigger impact on this show. Many of the trees had been prepared by professionals...The hand of Bjorn was clearly visible in several of my favorites! The work of others including, Owen, Ryan, Kathy, and Boon ( and I am sure others) were also discernible. Even Tyler Sherrod made an appearance on Sat...I am sure his impact will be felt in future shows. It all makes me wonder about the future of hobbyist level bonsai at the larger bonsai shows??
Hmmm... I didn't see any Boon styled trees there. My tree certainly has Boon's influence, but all the work was done by me. Well, all the work in the past 4 years has been done by me.

Personally, I think of the "influence" the new professionals are having on the overall quality as a good thing.

Your statement: "It all makes me wonder about the future of hobbiests level bonsai at the larger shows??" What are you trying to say here? I dont want to put words in your mouth, so could you discuss your thoughts on the matter a bit more?

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Your post feels very defensive Adair.. I never said boon styled anything...I said the influence could be seen...

To be perfectly clear, this is NOT about whether or not you choose to have a professional work your tree...

It is about the quality of trees in major shows and what affect that will have on the participation of hobbyists in the show (not attendance but actually bringing trees to show)

I surmise that there is an inverse relationship between the quality of trees and the participation of hobbyists. As the quality of trees shown increases, due to the influence of professionals in this case, the participation of average hobbyist will decrease.

What are the long term results on the bonsai community???

Is it ultimately good or bad for these new professionals?

Are these efforts increasing their long term market or decreasing?

I don't see hobbyist level bonsai participation in the big shows in Japan... I wonder if bonsai in the US is currently headed in a similar direction. Once tree quality in shows reaches a point beyond what is obtainable by the average hobbyist...how will the bonsai community change?

I am not sure what that would mean to a show like the Artisan cup, but I suspect, in the long run, it would mean the demise of a show like the US nationals. I think if your are honest in your evaluation, the future of the US National show is suspect at best...it is nothing without Bill and his age and health are the limiting factors. However, I think there is another major difference. I believe that Bill has built his position in bonsai on the backs of the average hobbyist...whereas some of the newer generation seem to be working toward a more Japanese model of bonsai professionals which is more focused on collectors as opposed to hobbyists. In my opinion, there is vast difference...and there will be a vastly different impact on the community.

and just for the record....
but all the work was done by me
Not that I give a shit in the least, but how can you really say that??...don't you have a smoldering thread on this tree where you talk about some young Japanese professional working on this tree twice in the last four years? Furthermore, if I am not mistaken, you have paid to board this the tree 2500 miles from your home for all but the last month of the last 4 years....so you really haven't been caring for this tree on a daily basis until just recently...yet you claim "all the work was done by me"...sounds to me like you are stretching things a little??

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Interesting comments, John.

Granted, this past Nationals was my first, but it appeared to me to be very well attended, and was remarkable that it brought together a virtual "who's who" of American Bonsai.

Yes, I believe only Bill Valalvanis could have gotten such an event started. But he's now got momentum going. Let's hope it continues indefinitely!

I do have another tree styled by Daisaku Nomoto.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Interesting comments, John.

Granted, this past Nationals was my first, but it appeared to me to be very well attended, and was remarkable that it brought together a virtual "who's who" of American Bonsai.

Yes, I believe only Bill Valalvanis could have gotten such an event started. But he's now got momentum going. Let's hope it continues indefinitely!

I do have another tree styled by Daisaku Nomoto.
But this JBP, all the physical work was done by me. I wired it, (several times), decandled it 4 times, pulled needles 4 times, repotted it twice. I chose the pot to use.

True, it sat on Boon's bench under his automatic watering system.

Last edited:

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Your post feels very defensive Adair.. I never said boon styled anything...I said the influence could be seen...

To be perfectly clear, this is NOT about whether or not you choose to have a professional work your tree...

It is about the quality of trees in major shows and what affect that will have on the participation of hobbyists in the show (not attendance but actually bringing trees to show)

I surmise that there is an inverse relationship between the quality of trees and the participation of hobbyists. As the quality of trees shown increases, due to the influence of professionals in this case, the participation of average hobbyist will decrease.

What are the long term results on the bonsai community???

Is it ultimately good or bad for these new professionals?

Are these efforts increasing their long term market or decreasing?

I don't see hobbyist level bonsai participation in the big shows in Japan... I wonder if bonsai in the US is currently headed in a similar direction. Once tree quality in shows reaches a point beyond what is obtainable by the average hobbyist...how will the bonsai community change?

I am not sure what that would mean to a show like the Artisan cup, but I suspect, in the long run, it would mean the demise of a show like the US nationals. I think if your are honest in your evaluation, the future of the US National show is suspect at best...it is nothing without Bill and his age and health are the limiting factors. However, I think there is another major difference. I believe that Bill has built his position in bonsai on the backs of the average hobbyist...whereas some of the newer generation seem to be working toward a more Japanese model of bonsai professionals which is more focused on collectors as opposed to hobbyists. In my opinion, there is vast difference...and there will be a vastly different impact on the community.

and just for the record....
Not that I give a shit in the least, but how can you really say that??...don't you have a smoldering thread on this tree where you talk about some young Japanese professional working on this tree twice in the last four years? Furthermore, if I am not mistaken, you have paid to board this the tree 2500 miles from your home for all but the last month of the last 4 years....so you really haven't been caring for this tree on a daily basis until just recently...yet you claim "all the work was done by me"...sounds to me like you are stretching things a little??

It is just my opinion, but I think the improving quality is good for American Bonsai. The average "hobbyist" in my experience is more interested in ensuring their trees survive and look nice at their own home than they are concerned with showing their trees or winning awards. There are all levels of participants though between completely new hobbiest with sticks in pots and glued on rocks- all the way up to ful, time professionals who style these manicured "Nationals quality" trees we saw at the show this weekend! Within those different levels, people are advancing and improving and those who strive to be better are constantly getting the target to aspire to moved forward by the better trees they see in these shows!

HOPEFULLY what larger regional and national shows will encourage by upping their quality beyond levels attainable by an average hobbyist is going to be more shows! People branching out to create smaller local shows, club shows.... stuff that may not be as big of an event and are more for fun, but give them experience and a chance to have their trees viewed and "judged" even if only by piers of comparable skill and experience... which will- again, hopefully- help the hobby grow in popularity. I get the impression you are concerned about waning participation and interest in bonsai as the quality at these shows becomes more unattainable... perhaps that could happen. I hope for the opposite obviously... because quite simply- more people trying to make better trees leads to better bonsai! I would assume that is what most of us want for "American Bonsai"?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It is just my opinion, but I think the improving quality is good for American Bonsai. The average "hobbyist" in my experience is more interested in ensuring their trees survive and look nice at their own home than they are concerned with showing their trees or winning awards. There are all levels of participants though between completely new hobbiest with sticks in pots and glued on rocks- all the way up to ful, time professionals who style these manicured "Nationals quality" trees we saw at the show this weekend! Within those different levels, people are advancing and improving and those who strive to be better are constantly getting the target to aspire to moved forward by the better trees they see in these shows!

HOPEFULLY what larger regional and national shows will encourage by upping their quality beyond levels attainable by an average hobbyist is going to be more shows! People branching out to create smaller local shows, club shows.... stuff that may not be as big of an event and are more for fun, but give them experience and a chance to have their trees viewed and "judged" even if only by piers of comparable skill and experience... which will- again, hopefully- help the hobby grow in popularity. I get the impression you are concerned about waning participation and interest in bonsai as the quality at these shows becomes more unattainable... perhaps that could happen. I hope for the opposite obviously... because quite simply- more people trying to make better trees leads to better bonsai! I would assume that is what most of us want for "American Bonsai"?
I agree, Eric. I had many people approach me to ask how I got my pine to look like it did. To the best I could, I told them how it was done. I'm not a bonsai professional. I consider myself an advanced hobbiests. I do teach a few workshops at Plant City on Black Pine every year.

I think pretty much everyone would like to know how to make better trees. Sure, not everyone wants to show. But, I feel it's good for people to show. It forces them to take a harder look at their tree and do that "little bit extra".

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score

Fwiw, if i would travel a long way to see a big show and what i see on display would be hobbylevel i would be rather dissapointed.
Thats not to say that shows for this dont exist here, they do and lots of them, often they are free entry as well. I just went to one few days ago, level varied big from good enough for kokufu to the point where i thought, give this tree a day to me and i can make it twice as good. (Relatively speaking)
I remember an other show and remember i was looking at this one display and wondering why it was in the show, a guy came up to me and explainimg his little daughter made the kusamono.
In same show there were outstanding trees as well.

I think if the quality of the big shows goes up, the amount of shows for everybody level could increase.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Very nice words John G! It was a great weekend indeed...

Mark

Mame
Reaction score
There is a stench in the air…

and it’s coming from the man in the outhouse. It is the stench of disrespect and bitterness.

The 5th US National Bonsai Exhibition was supported and embraced by the Bonsai community and has become a beloved event by all but a few detractors. It is not surprising that the few detractors were not in attendance and were not missed one bit in the amazing quality of Bonsai and creative & artistic displays. Those that attended glowed in the brilliance exhibited.

The suggestions that the US National Exhibition is in decline and facing a certain demise is an outright false hood and only represents the “hope” of a sad and bitter faction and is in fact the exact opposite of reality. The reality is that the support of this event has grown with Bonsai professionals, Individual Artists, advanced enthusiasts, Bonsai hobbyists and the general public. Sponsors, supporters, vendors and volunteers have all grown in enthusiasm and commitment. Excitement is already in the air for the 6th US National Bonsai Exhibition which is scheduled for Sept. 8 & 9 2018. Karen Harkaway, President of the American Bonsai Society, said it best” Every US National Exhibition is so good we all think it can’t get any better, but each time it not only gets better, but exponentially better!”

So… if we are honest,

what is “suspect at best” is NOT the future of the US National Exhibition but the motives of the man in the outhouse.

Bill Valavanis is not only my teacher but also a great friend. He has also been a great friend to the Bonsai world and the depiction of him ” building his position in bonsai on the backs of the average hobbiest” is a pile of what is being “constructed” in that outhouse in North Carolina.

Bill has slowed down due to his health and age, that is true. Between now and December he is only traveling to Japan and back. Then to the Winter Shilloutte Show in North Carolina and then to China.

All this in less 30 days!

As a wise young friend told me this week,” Change is not understood or liked by those that can’t see the future”

johng

Omono
Reaction score

and it’s coming from the man in the outhouse. It is the stench of disrespect and bitterness.

The 5th US National Bonsai Exhibition was supported and embraced by the Bonsai community and has become a beloved event by all but a few detractors. It is not surprising that the few detractors were not in attendance and were not missed one bit in the amazing quality of Bonsai and creative & artistic displays. Those that attended glowed in the brilliance exhibited.

The suggestions that the US National Exhibition is in decline and facing a certain demise is an outright false hood and only represents the “hope” of a sad and bitter faction and is in fact the exact opposite of reality. The reality is that the support of this event has grown with Bonsai professionals, Individual Artists, advanced enthusiasts, Bonsai hobbyists and the general public. Sponsors, supporters, vendors and volunteers have all grown in enthusiasm and commitment. Excitement is already in the air for the 6th US National Bonsai Exhibition which is scheduled for Sept. 8 & 9 2018. Karen Harkaway, President of the American Bonsai Society, said it best” Every US National Exhibition is so good we all think it can’t get any better, but each time it not only gets better, but exponentially better!”

So… if we are honest,

what is “suspect at best” is NOT the future of the US National Exhibition but the motives of the man in the outhouse.

Bill Valavanis is not only my teacher but also a great friend. He has also been a great friend to the Bonsai world and the depiction of him ” building his position in bonsai on the backs of the average hobbiest” is a pile of what is being “constructed” in that outhouse in North Carolina.

Bill has slowed down due to his health and age, that is true. Between now and December he is only traveling to Japan and back. Then to the Winter Shilloutte Show in North Carolina and then to China.

As a wise young friend told me this week,” Change is not understood or liked by those that can’t see the future”

Thanks for your comment...but you are way off base in your assumptions.

I realize perception is everything but you completely missed my point

I have nothing but the utmost respect for Bill and his show! Absolutely no disrespect or bitterness whatsoever. I am not a detractor of the event in any way!

IF you bothered to read carefully, you would have noticed that I qualified the comment in question with "in the long run"...and didn't make any reference to the current situations. My point was simply that you are going to see a decline in the participation of the average hobbyist as the competition with professionals increases.... Look at Japan...Bill is working toward an American version of the Kokofu...how many hobbyists display there??

However, Bill should poll the folks who displayed this year..I think you will find that there were MANY that were frustrated already by this exact situation...$80K trees in $20k containers competing against average hobbyists... I know...Bill always says it is ONLY about the trees but that is a flawed perspective as all of this is only about people...no people = no trees = no shows...it always about the people, even when you don't want it to be!!

Building his business on the back of the average hobbyist was the only way he could had survived in Bonsai for 50 years given the climate in the US...there is absolutely no disrespect in that statement. Quite the opposite is the case!

If your venom toward me is connected to another situation between another person and Bill...please leave me out of that as I had NOTHING to do with that whatsoever and I am only vaguely aware of all that has or has not transpired.

Glad my tree made an impression on you Mr. Arpag!

Respectively from the outhouse in SOUTH Carolina:)

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score

So… if we are honest,

As John already said, I think you have missplaced your attack. I did not see any comments about the show declining in quality or participation... John's comments were solely focused on how the average hobbiest may not be included in the future of Bonsai shows if they continue down this path. I see his point but hope for a different outcome. Glad you mentioned the Winter Silhouette show- it is a great example of an alternative slightly smaller more localized option perhaps more directed towards the average hobbyist that was developed by the same man who puts on the National show! I am hoping I get to attend that one this year and if I do I will try to take as many pics and make a thread here on it as well. I dont know anything about the drama that spawned this outburst, but in my experience @William N. Valavanis is among the most respected Bonsai artists in America! Cannot inagine many having a big problem with what he is doing for Bonsai....

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I see his point but hope for a different outcome.

I hope for a different outcome as well!! Yet, the outcomes of every other field in which amateurs are forced to compete with professionals says otherwise... I am glad to be the stinky one, if ultimately it opens a few eyes and leads to more inclusive decisions down the road.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hmmm...

Interesting discussion!

So JohnG, what is your solution? Ban refined trees?

Have categories? We have them at the Atlanta Bonsai Society show. We have 3 levels: Novice, Enthusiast, and Professional. In case you're wondering, I enter my trees as Professional even though I do not make my living selling bonsai. I do teach a few workshops to help others learn.

We allow any member to show if they want to. We will get one or two to enter the novice class. Hardly anyone ever enters the Enthusiast Class. Most everyone either thinks they're good or has attended a workshop or two, so they enter the Professional Class.

Would you have the National Show be classified in a similiar manner?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hmmm...

Interesting discussion!

So JohnG, what is your solution? Ban refined trees?

Have categories? We have them at the Atlanta Bonsai Society show. We have 3 levels: Novice, Enthusiast, and Professional. In case you're wondering, I enter my trees as Professional even though I do not make my living selling bonsai. I do teach a few workshops to help others learn.

We allow any member to show if they want to. We will get one or two to enter the novice class. Hardly anyone ever enters the Enthusiast Class. Most everyone either thinks they're good or has attended a workshop or two, so they enter the Professional Class.

Would you have the National Show be classified in a similiar manner?
When is the Atlanta show? That would be an easy trip for me and I would be interested in coming to one!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Last year, it was in March, at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens at Piedmont Park. The idea is the deciduous trees will either still be dormant, or just breaking dormancy so you can see the structure rather than a big ball of leaves!

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Hmmm...

One of those trees looks vaguely familiar...

Lol!!!

Great pics!

JohnG's tree with the outhouse tree house won People's Choice. His insane rock planting with the cascade juniper won Best of Show.
I was there on vacation and saw the rock planting ( definitely best in show ). I want to sign up for the next class in rock planting after seeing that!

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score

I agree that both junipers took your breath away. I have decided to time my trips to S.C. each year ( to see my father ) to coincide with this show.
I also enjoyed the phoenix grafts that were displayed. How are those exhibits received? Do they receive recognition as well as other entries, or are they discounted as specialty entries ( or worse ).
Adair's pine was a study in perfection and I wish I lived closer so that I could campaign for some of his workshops. As it is, I will hope I can do the same with Vance Woods for JWP, and Mugo workshops.

fh05

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought there are several different shows in Japan. Kokufu, Gafuten, Taikanten etc. My understanding is some of these shows have both professionals and hobbyist displaying. I am not sure if there are shows where only hobbyist are allowed. Please correct me if I am wrong please.

Top Bottom