2016 Carolina Bonsai Expo

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I believe the Taikanten is Professionals only.

Of course I'm sure there are many local club shows in addition to the big ones.

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
IMG_6765.JPG The Taikan-ten is open to anyone interested in renting a space. The organizers recommend that a professional is consulted or involved, but if you pony up $300- $900, that space is yours. It allows for more free expression in my opinion which sets it apart from the Kokofu-ten. The National Exhibition in Japan is pros only. The attendance at the Taikan-ten for exhibitors has slowly but surely dropped over the last 20 years. The smartest thing the planners did was allow photography sans tripods to increase attendance IMO.

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
Whether or not you think that display is cluttered or not is your opinion. To me, that looks like someone hauling out their stash of stuff and making sure people know they spent some $$$.

fh05

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am glad Owen is giving his input here. We need more posts from professionals please;). Can you give your opinion about the attendance at the National Exhibit in Japan - going up or down over the years.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The attandence at the Kokufu Bonsaï Exhibition has been declining during the past ten years or so. A professional artist must enter and display the trees, not the owner.

The Kokufu Bonsaï Exhibition is an "amature" show of the highest quality. The trees are displayed with their owners name, not the professional artist. The same tree might also be in the Sakufu Bonsaï Exhibition for professional artists only.

fh05

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the reply Bill. It's a little confusing to me, when you call it amature show. A professional artist must enter and display. Can you elaborate please. Thanks again.

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
That is not to say, that every display at the Taikan-ten is junky. About 5-10 displays a year seem to be that way. The Taikan-ten also has that year's Kokofu-ten winners exhibited.

And as Bill better explained, owners exhibit the trees, but must be prepared, delivered to Tokyo for acceptance long before the exhibition, then delivered to the exhibition in February by professionals.

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
Getting back to the thread subject, this year's show in Asheville had an excellent feel. The novel club display concepts were more refined overall and there was a cohesiveness to the exhibition hall that I really enjoyed. Much more space to walk through as well. One major difference from previous years is that there was the feeling of more individual displays mainly on the platforms of Black Creek Study Group and Triangle Bonsai Society. Even the straight runs of tables seemed more defined bonsai to bonsai.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That is not to say, that every display at the Taikan-ten is junky. About 5-10 displays a year seem to be that way. The Taikan-ten also has that year's Kokofu-ten winners exhibited.

And as Bill better explained, owners exhibit the trees, but must be prepared, delivered to Tokyo for acceptance long before the exhibition, then delivered to the exhibition in February by professionals.
And since the show is in the winter, shimpaku would show winter color. Reddish brown! So they keep them in greenhouses to keep them green. It

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Getting back to the thread subject, this year's show in Asheville had an excellent feel. The novel club display concepts were more refined overall and there was a cohesiveness to the exhibition hall that I really enjoyed. Much more space to walk through as well. One major difference from previous years is that there was the feeling of more individual displays mainly on the platforms of Black Creek Study Group and Triangle Bonsai Society. Even the straight runs of tables seemed more defined bonsai to bonsai.
I agree! In the past some of the tables were too crowded. More like a sales table than a display table.

But not this year!

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Hmmm...

One of those trees looks vaguely familiar...

Lol!!!

Great pics!

JohnG's tree with the outhouse tree house won People's Choice. His insane rock planting with the cascade juniper won Best of Show.

Adair,
Speaking of the rock planting. I have an old piece that has been half buried in my back yard over 30 years. I thought it had potential but appreciate what thoughts you may have.
Also I have started on my Phoenix graft and would like your input also before I take it to a club meeting for serious examination.
Thanx,
Leonard

Attachments

• Bonsai rock.jpg
    Bonsai rock.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Bonsai rock - 3.jpg
    Bonsai rock - 3.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Deadwood 3 10-2016DSC01367.jpg
    Deadwood 3 10-2016DSC01367.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Deadwood 4 10-2016DSC01367.jpg
    Deadwood 4 10-2016DSC01367.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 53

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
On the Phoenix graft: see if there's a line where you could carve a groove all the way from the soil to the apex to fit the trunk of the new tree in. So that it matches the grain. Preferly along an edge.

You want to be able to see where the live vein comes up out of the soil. At at that part, it needs to be really attached to the deadwood. I mean, it should fit in like a tongue and groove board!

Then use small nails to nail it in place. The tree will cover them over. Then feed it like crazy to it grows big! So that the trunk swells and fills the channel you carved.

Take your time and really get it right.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Adair,
Thanks for the direction, will post finished pics when it is potted.
Also, lets try to meet at next years NC Expo.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Adair,
Thanks for the direction, will post finished pics when it is potted.
Also, lets try to meet at next years NC Expo.
What usually happens is I go on Friday to set up. And return for the day on Sunday to bring trees home.

That weekend is when my kids celebrate their birthdays, so I need to be home on Saturday.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@johng

I wish all I had to say was how well that tree house is aging...

I have to admit I didn't like it much in the original post....but it is really settling into the design.

Very nice. Sorry I didn't read the prescription on your "future vision glasses".

Speaking of "fvg's"....
It seems they work for the American Bonsai Scene as a whole too.

I do not understand how anyone could mistake what you were conveying, or read it as disrespectful at all.

I think there is an excellent chance that those hobbyists will up their game, rather than fall out of it.

I personally, would love to see "hobbyist" trees, even trees in training, just as much as finely manicured "finished" trees.

I think there should be a place for them all. It will definitely help everyone remain in the game. It is like "smelling the roses along the way". Just as enjoyable as the final destination.

One time, I got to the job site and had to pee real bad so I ran into the outhouse and, after it was too late....realized it had been flipped over earlier and there was shit and paper covering the walls.

That's my irrelevant outhouse tale!

Sorce

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
What usually happens is I go on Friday to set up. And return for the day on Sunday to bring trees home.

That weekend is when my kids celebrate their birthdays, so I need to be home on Saturday.

Maybe we will see each at another show in your area. I usually go to visit my 95 year old dad in the spring and late fall so there may be more opportunities.
Regards,
Leonard

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maybe we will see each at another show in your area. I usually go to visit my 95 year old dad in the spring and late fall so there may be more opportunities.
Regards,
Leonard
I'm planning to be at the Show in Kannapolis, NC in December.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here are a few of the pictures I took at the Expo this year:

Attachments

• sm_DSC_2781.JPG
    sm_DSC_2781.JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 27
  • sm_DSC_2789.JPG
    sm_DSC_2789.JPG
    361.6 KB · Views: 24
  • sm_DSC_2790.JPG
    sm_DSC_2790.JPG
    305 KB · Views: 24
  • sm_DSC_2791.JPG
    sm_DSC_2791.JPG
    368.6 KB · Views: 25
  • sm_DSC_2792.JPG
    sm_DSC_2792.JPG
    350.1 KB · Views: 27
  • sm_DSC_2796.JPG
    sm_DSC_2796.JPG
    290.1 KB · Views: 29

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A few more here. Lots more posted already and I don't have time to post them all here. Its a great show. Congratulations to those who won ...and to those who showed strongly. I hope to join those ranks again soon.

Attachments

• sm_DSC_2830.JPG
    sm_DSC_2830.JPG
    335.4 KB · Views: 28
  • sm_DSC_2845.JPG
    sm_DSC_2845.JPG
    333.7 KB · Views: 26
  • sm_DSC_2848.JPG
    sm_DSC_2848.JPG
    268.1 KB · Views: 24
  • sm_DSC_2854.JPG
    sm_DSC_2854.JPG