2016 Carolina Bonsai Expo

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This show has grown in size and quality! I was pleasantly surprised to see a PACKED parking lot at the Arboretum when we arrived yesterday. I don't want to blather on like I usually do, let's just see some pics!
For starters, this is a Gorgeous Venue!!
DSC04848.JPG
DSC04851.JPG

The Permanent collection/ Bonsai Garden: DSC04852.JPG
DSC04853.JPG DSC04854.JPG DSC04855.JPG
More coming... Many man more...

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Hmmm...

One of those trees looks vaguely familiar...

Lol!!!

Great pics!

JohnG's tree with the outhouse tree house won People's Choice. His insane rock planting with the cascade juniper won Best of Show.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was so glad to be able to go despite this nasty hurricane!! This has become a tradition for me... about 4 years in a row now... What a fantastic event or an area that is a bit of a "bonsai Desert"!

Truth is, there are skilled artists all over this country and I was so happy to see so may together in one place on the East coast. Cannot say enough good stuff about the venue or the vendors. I found a few fantastic deals which is a big part of why I like to go to these events.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hmmm...

One of those trees looks vaguely familiar...

Lol!!!

Great pics!

JohnG's tree with the outhouse tree house won People's Choice. His insane rock planting with the cascade juniper won Best of Show.
Good news about @johng he deserves the recognition! He has some great trees.... I voted for the treehouse.. kind of mad my pics didn't come out better. I have a few on my phone that might be better in low light.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why no information on trees:confused:? Is needful to see species, age and time in training as basic info. Many viewing have no idea:rolleyes:.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What a great time! Nice to meet you EGK! The show was fantastic! The John G stone composition was simply stunning. Can you say impact? Dan Robinson can!!! Cheers all!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Why no information on trees:confused:? Is needful to see species, age and time in training as basic info. Many viewing have no idea:rolleyes:.
Over 50% of the pictures have the info cards in the picture.... (most/all the ones from the garden and one or two in the show) It is "needful" that you look a little harder. ;)

I don't know how long people have been training their Bonsai. You would have to ask the artists for that sort of info... Many frequent this site. @Brian Van Fleet @Adair M @johng and many more had trees in this show- at least three trees pictured that I know of have been well documented on this forum in past threads. None of the trees pictured are mine and I wouldn't want to give bad info. Even so, with most bonsai nobody truly knows the age of them. It can be estimated, but the goal is to create the illusion of great age, so unless grown from a seed even the owners generally would only be able to estimate the age of their trees. If anyone has specific questions about specific trees, i'd be happy to do my best to help answer them.

Thank you for checking them out!

Last edited:

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
I had fun. Everyone who has Black Pines was asking me how to manage their needles! Lol!!!

your black pine looks really good, any pro would be more then happy to get needles like that.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
your black pine looks really good, any pro would be more then happy to get needles like that.
Indeed. My Black Pine needles were shorter than the Japanese White Pines!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Brian Van Fleet ,

We need to do something about you! Get remarried, take the current wife on an early Anniversary cruise, buy a second home in the NC Mountains, schedule your next Anniversary celebration to be at the Biltmore Estate... Something! We can't continue to have you go missing any longer!

Geesh!

On Friday, this display was all messed up!

IMG_0397.JPG

Both the pine and the elm were turned around backwards! I couldnt stand it! I took the liberty, when no one was looking, yo turn them around!

Later, I found Ron Dennis and told him what I did. He laughed and said that he had purposely turn the pine around to mess with you, but he had also watered the elm, and accidently put it down backwards. He said he was surprised to find that the display had been fixed when he came back to turn the pine back around!

Just looking out for ya!

Your juniper looked great, by the way!

Top Bottom