2016 Noelanders Trophy Results

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice stuff. I wonder what the little deciduous bonsai in the display of the first photograph.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm surprised a bit by the "best deciduous" palmatum:
image.jpeg
Not that I could do any better, or that it isn't lovely, but the design leaves me a bit flat. I think it has to do with what my eye sees as a big hole in the middle. Perhaps that branch in the center could be twice as wide and fill in some of the space . . . I like the idea that it's spare and elegant, but that particular spot is just a bit too bare for me.

The base certainly is impressive. This tree also highlights something I've pointed out before, which is that Japanese maples often seem to get a "pass" when it comes to taper. The larger trunk is basically the same diameter for more than half its height - makes me feel better about mine ;)

Just one amateur's opinion; what do you nuts think?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm surprised a bit by the "best deciduous" palmatum:
View attachment 92838
Not that I could do any better, or that it isn't lovely, but the design leaves me a bit flat. I think it has to do with what my eye sees as a big hole in the middle. Perhaps that branch in the center could be twice as wide and fill in some of the space . . . I like the idea that it's spare and elegant, but that particular spot is just a bit too bare for me.

The base certainly is impressive. This tree also highlights something I've pointed out before, which is that Japanese maples often seem to get a "pass" when it comes to taper. The larger trunk is basically the same diameter for more than half its height - makes me feel better about mine ;)

Just one amateur's opinion; what do you nuts think?

I thought it was just me, have to agree with you, i had similar thoughts, though atm i have nothing better to show of my own.
for me its the space in the middle, i do love the natural and airy look, although in this case its very wide open.
also the gap between where the two trunks meet on top of the nebari appears quite flat and uninteresting, maybe looking a bit artificial? an impressive tree none the less and outstanding nebari. also agree with you about the taper, ,makes me feel less worried about one of my own trees i recently posted:)
what makes these trees all the more impressive and valuable, is they have no pruning scars.

Last edited:

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
What I really like about the maple being discussed is the graceful character and level of refinement. The branches are tapered, and the tree so simple. I bet the tree looks a lot better in person, and the photograph makes the gap look bigger than it actually is.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What I really like about the maple being discussed is the graceful character and level of refinement. The branches are tapered, and the tree so simple. I bet the tree looks a lot better in person, and the photograph makes the gap look bigger than it actually is.

I'd imagine it to be very impressive in person. ( "best deciduous" palmatum)
From this angle, gap doesnt seem so big.
IMG_0213.JPG

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Japanese judges at a European show...of course Japanese trees are going to win

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
is this called Noelanders cup because of Marc or is it from someone before him? I think it is a weird name for a bonsai expo.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The gap is not too big in person. It is a really nice tree. The palmatum of mr. Vallejo was better with incredible bark (for a JM). The maple of mr. and Mss. Cooper was very special, no visible healed scars on the whole tree.

I agree. At least from the photos I much prefer the Luis Vallejo's maple.

Saizan

Yamadori
Reaction score
I agree with the surprise of "best deciduous": it's a good (very good) maple, but not the best by far seeing the other trees. Luis Vallejo's maple is a lot better, almost for me.

Reactions: Vin

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
nuts think?

Hate the base and the way the trunks leave it.
Love the whispiness of the branching and ramification.
Love the outline, the silhouette.

But it all seems to have gotten there on accident.
Like every day before this one sucked.
And everyday after this one will suck.

It looks like the grower just got lucky.
Not much attention to detail.

This may work now.
But it's Seems like their is not much effort put into making it last....

If that makes sense.

A neglected Japanese tree that got imported, won a prize, but is done...?

Sorce

Top Bottom