2016 Shohin Seminar - California Shohin Society

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Friday, February 5th - Sunday, February 7th
The only event of it’s kind in the U.S.
Every two years the California Shohin Society organizes a Shohin Seminar in Santa Nella, California, where bonsai masters, teachers, students and general enthusiasts from all over the country gather to learn and share their love of Shohin bonsai.

The goal of the Seminar is two-fold
To provide a low-cost, learning-rich environment for those who want to learn more about Shohin bonsai, and to raise money for the Golden State Bonsai Federation’s Bonsai Collection. The Shohin Seminar is a major source of funding for the care and evolution of these collections. An added bonus is the comradery between bonsai friends from all over the country as we get together to share information, recount past bonsai experiences and have fun.

Lowest Possible Cost

To make the Shohin Seminar work, everyone pays their own way. Headliners, instructors, presenters, vendors, and all of the chair-persons that make the seminar such a wonderful event – EVERYONE volunteers their services and pays their own travel expenses. It’s an extraordinary act of giving for the benefit of the greater Bonsai community.

Hotel Mission De Oro
13070 S. Highway 33
Santa Nella, CA 95322

Only happens once every two years, so definitely worth checking out!!

2016 Shohin Seminar

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Lots of vendors

Jim Gollmer of Bonsai Vision with Kenji Miyata of the Kenji Miyata collection of Bonsai Vision pots.

That is great to see photos of the two! Always nice to see the faces of people you deal with over the Internet :)

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Wow Al... you are very fortunate; this show is in your backyard! I know I shouldn't complain, but it is probably a 6 hour drive for me...

I assume you will be there? I looked for you at the GSBF convention but you sat this one out...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow Al... you are very fortunate; this show is in your backyard! I know I shouldn't complain, but it is probably a 6 hour drive for me...

I assume you will be there? I looked for you at the GSBF convention but you sat this one out...
I did, like you, its a long drive to Riverside for me. I usually make the northern conventions, as the drive is shorter. Also I , for the past few years, have just been going for a day. Doing the whole convention and the large outlay of cash that I could buy a good plant, or pot or other fun thing like taking my wife to the coast for a weekend is much more bang for the buck. The last Southern convention I went to was Riverside 2009, as outgoing GSBF Trustee. Then went to Modesto, San Mateo and Sacramento, with three Riversides in between.

This year its back at Sacramento with Ryan Neil and Bjorn Bjorholm again. I will go.

Now as an aside, Tomorrow, a large workshop in which me and two others teaching will combine Fresno Bonsai basics and the Shohin study group into a large format potluck/workshop. One of the two boxstands will be delivered to Treekutter here on the forum and the shohin study group will choose member trees for a combined entry in the Shohin seminar. Five trees will have to be selected for the display as well as a possible accessory plinth that I will supply. Should be a fun event, just hope I don't get called on any emergencies, as I'm on call this week/end. I also a built a storage box to keep it in.

DSC_00350001.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The pictures I posted are assorted shots from 2004, 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2014.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been to a lot of conventions over the years and SHOHIN is probably one of the best "values" in the country!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow Al, thanks for the pictures. That's a lot of high quality shohin in one place.
Do you know what the last tree in post #6 is? Little round silverish leaves?
Love your stand...I want it!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So cool, first one I've ever seen in a pot. Seen some being developed. Love them, and also madrone trees, but hear they are almost impossible to bonsai.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So cool, first one I've ever seen in a pot. Seen some being developed. Love them, and also madrone trees, but hear they are almost impossible to bonsai.

They are everywhere here once you hit 3000' of elevation. But they thrive in a very narrow range of conditions. They like loose, free-draining soil, infrequent rain, and they throw LONG running roots. Tough to collect them with enough roots, and then they often don't respond well when you move them to a new climate.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry, manzanita....fat fingers

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm thinking about driving up at the arse-crack of dawn on Saturday and staying until about 8, then driving home to Orange County. It's about 5 hours each way. Some folks have told me, however, that the best part about this convention is getting drunk on cheap liquor with my fellow convention-goers, and they say if I ditch the party at 8 p.m., I might as well not even bother.
Thoughts?

Top Bottom