2016 US National Bonsai Exhibition

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oh geez, we're back to square one again!

Who is taking credit for something they didn't do? Give us one solid example.
Coh - I wrote that because there is a post above it state someone winning an award at the Nationals but the tree is keeping at a pro yard. Did I accuse anyone that do that? No. I just state that it would be wrong if I just buy tree that style and taking care by someone else to be judged as mine. You can disagree on that... and that is fine. That's that. Let not make it anything more than that.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If we know that the tree is being kept at a "pro's" yard, then no one is hiding anything or taking credit for something they shouldn't be...so why even post "you don't think it is wrong to take credit for something that you didn't do?" Of course that is wrong. No one here is doing it. I've never encountered anyone doing it. I'm still waiting to hear about someone doing it.

This is really quite ridiculous.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Adair, you don't think it is wrong to take credit for something that you didn't do? You seem to know exactly what to quote so that your the audience will be in your favor. I do think Sawgrass has his points... and everyone is kind of gang up and try to shut him up. Why do we have to try so hard to prove someone is wrong when there is no right or wrong in the topic being discussed?
Uh, who is taking credit for something they didn't do?

I don't know where the tree that won the National award resides. But for argument sake, let's say it resides at Ryan Neil's. If my memory serves, I think Randy Knight collected it, sold to Ryan who styled it. Ryan then sold it. Now, sometimes a purchaser may choose to leave the tree at the Master's place so that it can continue to be refined. Not unusual at all.

Now, it gets sent to the National Show and wins. The placecards have the owner's name on them. This tree is somewhat famous even before the Show, and everyone knows Ryan styled it.

What's your problem with this?

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
The tree that one finest deciduous, a european birch.
I think its very beautifull. I was actually very surprised to see a birch had won.

I mean, its a really nice tree so it probably deserves to win but the reason why im surprised is that the common thing i read about birch is that they often have dieback of branches for no good reason what makes it difficult to style

So i was kinda surprised to see such a nice birch as bonsai.
But very nice to see. I alsothink it was probably the perfect timing, leaves starting yellow and so. I wish i could have seen it in person.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The birch was stunning. When I was browsing the show after it was completely set up, that one stopped me dead in my tracks. I wrote a note on my brochure "could be best in show." Now, I knew that wouldn't happen because of all the spectacular collected conifers, but that's how it made me feel. It looked like...a tree, just a smaller version of a tree you might see out in a field somewhere. I think knowing how difficult the species is supposed to be, probably helped. I mean, birches are supposed to be almost impossible to maintain since they tend to drop branches.

Amazing tree.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Glad to see the birch mentioned here. I of course have only seen pics and video but that birch was a standout for me too. If your ideal bonsai is a tree that really looks like the real deal miniaturized it doesn't get much better, by pics I also thought it could be best of show. Coh, was it as convincing in person as what I've seen in my limited cyber viewing?

Last edited:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Glad to see the birch mentioned here. I of course have only seen pics and video but that birch was a standout for me too. If your ideal bonsai is a tree that really looks like the real deal miniaturized it doesn't get much better, by pics I also thought it could be neat of show. Coh, was it as convincing in person as what I've seen in my limited cyber viewing?
Oh yes, as I said "it stopped me dead in my tracks." I didn't know that it had won an award until almost the end of the show. I was listening to Kathy Shaner's last critique and when she was about done, I asked about the birch...that's when I found out it had won. Her opinion on the tree (paraphrasing, I don't recall her exact words) was that it was unpretentious, looked very natural like it was standing in a field, and that was a big part of its appeal. She also thought the pot was the perfect size/shape/color and was a big part of the look. I think the fact that it was already showing fall colors helped.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Oh yes, as I said "it stopped me dead in my tracks." I didn't know that it had won an award until almost the end of the show. I was listening to Kathy Shaner's last critique and when she was about done, I asked about the birch...that's when I found out it had won. Her opinion on the tree (paraphrasing, I don't recall her exact words) was that it was unpretentious, looked very natural like it was standing in a field, and that was a big part of its appeal. She also thought the pot was the perfect size/shape/color and was a big part of the look. I think the fact that it was already showing fall colors helped.

I really liked that birch, coh. There were a few trees I found myself going back to visit time and again - that was one of them. Great tree! I was glad to see so many quality broadleaf trees in exhibit and thought that one deserved an award.

Scott

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The birch was beautiful. I was happy to see it. It gave me hope for the birch I am developing.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Didn't have a chance to post anything since the exhibition. Just wanted to echo the statements of how fantastic it was. Thank you to all who put in the effort of putting it all together. The trees were phenomenal. Sales area was great. Critiques and demos, a lot was gleaned from.

Also shout outs to all the bnutters met at the show. Nice to put a face to the name.

See ya in a couple years!

p.s. work on the a/c situation. The world is only getting hotter.

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
@sawgrass, don’t think I ever uploaded a photo of the display with your scroll here. It is on Facebook though.

Stand by David Knittle
Black Ceramic slab by Michelle Smith of MC Squared
Container by Michael Hagedorn
White pumpkin found on way (finally) on PA border from pumpkin farmer.

I collected creeper and built trunk from midpoint up and all branches. Wired root system and bent over time to fit container for show.

Attachments

• EB877C64-F6E0-4B6B-9309-B31D00C814A2.jpeg
    EB877C64-F6E0-4B6B-9309-B31D00C814A2.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 26
Top Bottom