2017 ABS Show

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here are some of the trees from the show. Experienced category (over 15 years of study).
Ume, best in Show (amazing), and best deciduous:
6176670288_IMG_6776.JPG 6174622336_IMG_6717.JPG

Shimpaku, best evergreen:
6176670288_IMG_6777.JPG
2nd place evergreen:
6174666976_IMG_6845.JPG
2nd place deciduous, Maple:
6174666976_IMG_6840.JPG

"Other" category, Shohin display:
6174666976_IMG_6842.JPG

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Amazing trees in the group! Seen a few members trees in the photos. Love that others can get to enjoy their work...in a show. It's like icing on the cake. Great job all around guys...thanks for sharing.

Also...might I share the photo of the funky Bald Cypress? There is one on a Facebook group. I would have to search the member...but has a quirky BC he's not sure what direction to take it, and has a similar appearance. @Brian Van Fleet ?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice variety of trees. They all look very well kept. I am quite amazed at the amount of trees with no live top dressing, especially the deciduous trees?
It's preferred, but not required I guess. I haven't made it to a club meeting since last year, so I'm not sure what was communicated. They were having trouble getting trees registered this year. I committed to showing 3, moved up to 9 and then was asked to bring 4 more on Friday night; which I didn't have time to moss before 6:30 on Saturday morning, so they didn't get any, but they were just fillers that I really had no intention of showing. I think I had more at the show than on my benches last weekend.
IMG_0354.JPG
@Cadillactaste go ahead and use the photo. I don't know who owns the tree though.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Very nice trees!
Thank you for the photos.
Why is that so, may I ask? What is your thought on that?
This a J. procumbens I assume. Is it nana variety?

As to why initial registration was down, several club members have had health issues recently including one member suffering a fairly severe fall with injury and another member hospitalized for 10 days. Another reason was a major hail storm was rather unfriendly to some, self included. In the end it all came together for a really good show.

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It's preferred, but not required I guess. I haven't made it to a club meeting since last year, so I'm not sure what was communicated. They were having trouble getting trees registered this year. I committed to showing 3, moved up to 9 and then was asked to bring 4 more on Friday night; which I didn't have time to moss before 6:30 on Saturday morning, so they didn't get any, but they were just fillers that I really had no intention of showing. I think I had more at the show than on my benches last weekend.
View attachment 147163
@Cadillactaste go ahead and use the photo. I don't know who owns the tree though.
I like your display area in your garden as I'm guessing it's the focal point? (Without seeing the rest). Not my style but definitely my wife's! She loves clean symmetrical lines. I'm more a controlled chaos naturalistic style myself (as in my pond/streams were always there & we built the house around them, even though this isn't true).

Top Bottom