2017 From Seed.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It's not grafted. That is actually the location where the original cotyledons and root intersected. I guarantee you it is not grafted.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Do you think it will blend more, or is it permanent?
The bark will eventually march its way up the trunk. For some reason beyond me the difference is the location of the cotyledons when the tree was in its first year. Of the Whites I have left they are all that way.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have many trident maples I planted this spring and now they are 4-6 inches tall with 3 pairs of leaves and the cotyledon still intact on some. The little trunks are lignifying. Some are in flats and others are in cells. Should I slip pot them into a good mix or leave them in the cells for the rest of the year? The reason for wanting to do so is to minimize the dessication of roots that are exiting the drainage holes on these meager seed starter trays. My prior and only other attempt at TM was not successful so I'm looking out to keep them going but is it too late to move them into larger pots?

I’m curious @zelk , did you up-pot them and what were the results? It seems there are many ways to develop from seeds depending on desired size. For my 2017 TMs, I germinated in flats and shifted to 3” pots and Rootmaker cells, then grew on before shifting to gallon Rootmaker pots. I left some in the 3” pots and cells to see growth difference. I just up-potted them then last night. I left the smallest, with shortest internodes in the 3” pots and will shift then in the Spring. Below is a pic showing the tallest and shortest trees from the batch up-potted early on the left and the tallest trees from the batch up-potted last night on the right. The early shifted trees put on good growth and have secondary growth at nodes.

C0AE5178-B7AD-4768-BBDF-74E8307BDDE6.jpeg

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
I just got a few different kinds of seeds. Japanese maple,black,red, white pine,trident maple, Japanese larch and couple others. Does anyone have any good links to growing seeds?Stratification methods and what not. Thanks

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@ohiogrown PLEASE do yourself the favor and do "seedling cuttings" with your strongest sprouted pines. I have been growing pines from seed for years and every minute has been a waste when I think about how incredible they'd be if they had perfect nebari. Search "seedling cutting" on here or google. super simple

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
@ohiogrown PLEASE do yourself the favor and do "seedling cuttings" with your strongest sprouted pines. I have been growing pines from seed for years and every minute has been a waste when I think about how incredible they'd be if they had perfect nebari. Search "seedling cutting" on here or google. super simple
Thanks for the info man! I’ll chexk that out for sure.

Reactions: GGB

Sidesummy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Fall Update:
2017 from seed - Zelkova's in Front, JBP behind them. (to the far back is 2nd year 2016 planted stuff)
DnhPtr1.jpg

2016 from seed - Tridents, JRP, JBP, and in the bottom right a 3rd year potted in colanders Jap. Maple and Dogwood.
neEshTY.jpg

Lets hope the Ohio winter treats everything kindly and much of this stock can be moved up to my growing grounds which is finally ready to receive the last 3 years of preparing small stock.
T4p41P5.jpg

Bonds Guy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And the real reason I did it that way is to simply have more control....god only knows what would've happened if I tried it "naturally" this winter....
I'd probably have little sprouts that would die when we get a late frost, in a few weeks.
Very true. I cold stratified some cherry blossom seeds in a pot outside. We had a few days warm weather in february so I decided to check on them and what do you know, two of them germinated

Sidesummy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Several years later. Some 3-4 year old pines in front

PXL_20220514_003115371.jpg

Some of the 5-6 year old pines in the back.
PXL_20220514_003240243.jpg

I continue to decandle the lower branches each summer and bud select in the fall. I've been stripping the needles off pretty much everything on the sacrifice branch except this year's growth (and whirl) to keep the lower branches well sunlit and alive. Kind of in a holding pattern of let the top grow wild and continue to watch the bases thicken. The goal is to have medium-large trees generally formal or informal uprights since I have been wiring them young.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice, lots of fat candles. Your pictures remind me of my own partial failures and this video:

The way to go is apparently to have one long mostly bald leader with no branching. And then keep a bunch of branches short and compact very near the base.
I see this is mostly what you have tried as well, especially the second picture. But I am puzzled as to why the Japanese guy gets more shoots with more vigor so close at the base.
I assume your goal is bonsai

Maybe the trick is to slow down the main trunk more. And remove all candles right now. Even though that will show down. I always removed the sidebranches from a node on the sacrifice branch after a year.

Sidesummy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice, lots of fat candles. Your pictures remind me of my own partial failures and this video:

The way to go is apparently to have one long mostly bald leader with no branching. And then keep a bunch of branches short and compact very near the base.
I see this is mostly what you have tried as well, especially the second picture. But I am puzzled as to why the Japanese guy gets more shoots with more vigor so close at the base.
I assume your goal is bonsai

Maybe the trick is to slow down the main trunk more. And remove all candles right now. Even though that will show down. I always removed the sidebranches from a node on the sacrifice branch after a year.
Hey thanks for the video reference. Yes I'm very much doing something similar to what he's been doing in pots, except mine being in the ground. It seems he didn't detail a lot about what his work looks like for the lower branches, but I suspect he was a little more on top of that work than myself. My area is located at my parents house and I basically only make a scheduled effort to get to work on them when I decandle sometime late June, and bud select once things have hardened off in the fall. Which means I leave the lower portion of my trees growing super bushy and strong most of the year and only thin them out in the fall. I think that between that sparse working time combined with the vigor in the ground I get slightly longer internodes that his potted examples. The real challenge for me is going to be the effort of safely transitioning from the ground into a point when that day comes. I don't have a clue what the roots look like (or if they'll be a mess or deeply tap rooted). About 2 years before I make my first attempts I think I'll do a sacrifice tree or 2 and sawzall the ground in the same of the wooden box I'll transplant them into a few inches smaller than the future container is the fall as well make an angled cut underneath to severe any large tap roots and then see if they come out healthy the next spring.

Top Bottom