[2018] Acer Obtusifolium Syriacum

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got today this ever green Maple that is native to our region.
My plan for this year is to let it grow and gain strength but I do have some questions since it looks like a not so common subject
1. can it be bare rooted?
2. How much root pruning can it handle?
3. I was thinking of cutting one or two of the big roots now without removing any soil. Would that be a good idea?

Thanks
20190418_182617.jpg
20190418_183620.jpg
20190418_183634.jpg
20190418_183612.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The best way to answer these questions is to "try it and find out", which means get more or make more. Maybe air layer that big branch that extends the trunk and answer the question of whether it air layers or not. Maybe cut some shoots and strike those cuttings and find out how easily the do(not) root. Maybe also cut off most of that long, straight heavy root and see if it sprouts. Three possible questions answered this year. Maybe wind up with more trees which which you can risk to answer questions about bare rooting and root pruning next year.

However, 'we' know that all the temperate varieties/cultivars of maple can be bare rooted and fairly aggressively root pruned. Odds are that yours can too, which leaves only the question of when to do it. The risk is desiccation because so much water is lost through the leaves to dry air and freshly pruned roots have a seriously impaired capacity to take in water. Nevertheless, some of us repot and root prune delicate acer palmatums in August (mid-summer). If we see wilting leaves, we put them in shade and we occasionally spray water on the foliage, so I think you can try bare rooting and maybe light root pruning. Later, you can explore how aggressively you can root prune.

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@0soyoung after reading your reply I decided that, since these are readily available, why not just have a go at it, so I layered it at the base where I have all these messy roots. Let's see how it goes
20190419_185633.jpg

Top Bottom