2018 Alabama Bonsai Society Spring Show

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@Smoke that is this Itoigawa Shimpaku.

@JudyB I can’t say that I agree with the best in show selection either, but I was not the judge. I can tell you that the judge’s comments about the tree itself included, “this is what a maple looks like, I could sit under this and read a book, and that normally a laceleaf Maple has really large leaves, and not much ramification, but this one has been worked well.” She thought the pot was ok with the leaf color, but wished the stand was taller so the tree would be elevated.

@-norwegian_blue- I don’t know which tree won People’s Choice. Usually it’s one of the blooming azaleas. Were you there?

@Ruben Bouwmeester yes, there is a small Bonsai nursery near Dothan, but each time I’ve been there, it‘s been closed. It didn’t look too impressive the one time I stopped and looked in the windows and through the fence.

@cmeg1 yeah, the ginkgo was a last-minute grab in case we didn’t have enough trees. The show would have been just fine without it or the ume, which is good.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Was Kathy the judge? She wants every stand taller!!!
Yes. We also add a 15” length of PVC pipe to each table leg to elevate most of the tables so they start at 45” tall. This year, we actually had some big trees, so we left the tables around the perimeter low, and only raised those in the center.

@JudyB here is the shohin display. Last-minute I added the Chojubai because it had 3 flower buds, perfectly placed and looking like they were perfectly timed, but they didn’t open. I had a small slab to place under its pot, but Kathy likes to swap things around and by the time I got back there Saturday morning, she had already used it under an accent somewhere else! I need to find a full-size shohin box. Maybe I can talk @Smoke into selling one some day...
970F2690-3DC5-409C-BBB6-B2636A636F08.jpeg

Last edited:

-norwegian_blue-

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Smoke that is this Itoigawa Shimpaku.

@-norwegian_blue- I don’t know which tree won People’s Choice. Usually it’s one of the blooming azaleas. Were you there?.

Yep, drove down from Huntsville on Saturday to check it out. Asked around, but no one seemed to know where you were. Was gonna introduce myself. Gotta say, your ume is pretty impressive in person. That little gourd-ish (is that a word?) pot of yours is pretty awesome too!

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yep, drove down from Huntsville on Saturday to check it out. Asked around, but no one seemed to know where you were. Was gonna introduce myself. Gotta say, your ume is pretty impressive in person. That little gourd-ish (is that a word?) pot of yours is pretty awesome too!
Yeah, life is pretty busy right now, so I wasn’t able to spend much time there last weekend. The show was good.

Sore subject, that little accent pot. I dropped it unloading yesterday and it shattered in my driveway. I’ve never done that before.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The show was Great! The pictures I see on here of BFV trees are good, but nothing close to what they look like in person... you know .. being there. The trees are truly a work of art and we have seen the progress on this site. I am sure this is true with everyone's trees here, but I have never seen them in person.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, life is pretty busy right now, so I wasn’t able to spend much time there last weekend. The show was good.

Sore subject, that little accent pot. I dropped it unloading yesterday and it shattered in my driveway. I’ve never done that before.

I read the story on your blog. Truly sorry for the loss, and the pot too.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Oh no not that one.

Top Bottom